battery draw? - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #1

Name: Casey
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
battery draw?

Is it possible that my 2007 Casita 17SD is drawing a lot of charge when sitting? I have a Werker AGM battery that seemed fine, but if I leave it in the trailer for a week, it needs an excessive charge from my charger.

The charger is only a few months old, and this seems to be a new problem. I am recharging and retesting, but last time I checked, the battery seemed to hold a charge fine (when disconnected). Is it possible that the battery died a VERY quick death? It's a used trailer so I don't know the age of the battery.

Thanks!

Old 07-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I don't know about AGM batteries but for batteries in general they do seem to die quickly these days after the first sign of trouble.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #3

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Could you provide more information about the battery, Amp hours & so forth, and the charger. AGMs require a charger with setting specifically for AGMs. If you push an AGM too hard you can ruin it.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #4

Colorado
Werker WKDC12-100PUS with 100ah, group 31(I think). Charger if a Schumacher SC-600A-CA which should work with AGMs.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #5

Louisiana
Registry
Looking at the charger manual I found online, I don't see a specific setting for AGM though it says it can be used for AGMs. However, with a 6 amp charger, that may not be necessary.

How are you using the charger? Are you leaving it hooked up? The manual clearly states that it should not be used as a trickle charger, 2 amp setting, for large automotive batteries.

If you are having to charge weekly and the battery is fairly new something else is drawing the battery down. Have you checked for any parasitic draw
when everything the the trailer is supposed to be off?
Old 07-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #6

Colorado
I'm not leaving it hooked up. I check it every hour and unplug when it turns green. Charging it is more preventative maintenance. We don't run it much, and the longest it sat in the trailer was 3 weeks, without a charge. It had been sitting for a week, then I pulled it to charge it. The battery has been charging for 8 hours and still isn't done.

Not sure how to check for parasitic loss.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:58 PM   #7

Louisiana
Registry
Parasitic Draw Test:

1-Make sure everything in the trailer is off.

NOTE: There are some things, such as gas detectors and and LPG refrigerators that have some draw if they are on. Yes, if a refer is running on LPG, the board is still energized to control temp.

2-Disconnect the negative cable, and place an amp meter between the terminal and the cable. A digital multi-meter is best. Set it on the highest setting first and check for amperage. If nothing, go to the milliamp setting and check. With everything off, you should have no draw.

3-If you read any amperage, clip the the probes between the negative terminal and cable, then pull fuses one at a time, checking the meter each time. When you pull a fuse and the amperage goes away, the draw is on that circuit. That narrows it down to the items on that circuit, and gives you a place to start checking.

Before you put the battery on the charger, what is the voltage between positive and negative posts, open circuit voltage? Check here The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1) for a great state of charge chart. Since you have a sealed battery the only way to check your state of charge is to do an open circuit voltage check.

Fully charged, a 12 volt battery should be reading 12.6 volts or greater. That green light may be coming on prematurely.

If you aren't familiar with 12 volt systems, you would do well to spend some time on The 12 volt Side of Life site. Lot's of good information there.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:00 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Hi Casey, I've got the same rig only an '06. I had the same problem of battery drain. The gas/smoke monitor was drawing it down as it is on 24/7. I installed a battery disconnect in the box and unplug it after a full charge. I'm also going to install a small rocker switch next to the monitor so I can take it off line while stored.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #9

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Disconnect the battery for a week, and then hook up your charger. I'll bet you see the same behavior... It's probably self-discharge and there isn't a lot you can do about it. See http://batteryuniversity.com/ for more information about lead-acid batteries.

-- Dan Meyer
Old 07-08-2014, 09:01 AM   #10

Louisiana
Registry
It would be a rare thing for a Group 31 AGM to self discharge in a week, considering that they are used as back up power on all kinds of industrial and safety equipment, unless you got a dud.

Carefully check out your system before you condemn the battery.

Best of luck.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #11

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1999 Casita 17' SD
Ohio
Besides the smoke detector and refrigerator's control board there is also the water heater's control board.

A battery disconnect switch is a good idea when the trailer is being stored but remember it must be switched back on when towing to operate the break away switch if needed.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:03 PM   #12

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
Besides the smoke detector and refrigerator's control board there is also the water heater's control board.

A battery disconnect switch is a good idea when the trailer is being stored but remember it must be switched back on when towing to operate the break away switch if needed.

You MUST remember that when the battery is disconnected by any means your safety devices are also disabled, primarily the propane detector. When reconnecting, switch or putting a cable make sure and check that is NOT a propane leak first. I'm allergic to loud booms.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:41 PM   #13

Colorado
This model doesn't have a propane detector. I had the battery load tested and all is fine.

But now I am wondering if the battery isn't charging properly from the tow vehicle. I didn't think much of it, but when I parked it a few weeks ago, I noticed the Dometic 3 way fridge was blinking after running on 12v for the 5 hr drive home. Does this mean it didn't have enough voltage to run? It tows level, so it couldn't have been an imbalance.

How would I go about testing that?
Old 07-08-2014, 10:46 PM   #14

Name: Derek
Trailer: 2007 Bigfoot 25b25rq
Washington
Given the length of the wire from the front of the car to the battery, plus it's relatively small diameter, the ability of the tow vehicle to charge the battery is often less than you think. I remember towing our Scamp all day and being surprised that the battery wasn't fully charged. With the refrigerator on DC, and depending on your setup, I wouldn't even be surprised if your trailer battery was charged less after the 5 hours than it was before--the fridge can use a lot of power, so much so that the larger fridges don't even bother to include a DC option. (You can, by the way, run the fridge on propane while you are on the road instead of using DC.)

The refrigerator is drawing a certain number of amps and the charger is trying to put charge back in, and it is the difference between the flow in and flow out that determines how quickly the battery will charge. Let's say that you have discharged your 100 amp-hour batter 50% (about 12.25 volts), which is as low as you should ever discharge it if you want it to last (at least for regular lead-acid batteries). You need to replace 50 amp-hours, so if you have 10 amps going in it will take 5 hours; 5 amps going in it will take 10 hours; etc. You can make these measurement with a meter, but eventually I got tired of not knowing the status of my battery (How many amp-hours have I used? Is it time to charge it yet? Do I need to be careful so I don't draw it down past 50%? How quickly is it charging? How long will it take? Etc.) that I installed a Trimetric meter. It places a "shunt" in the line going to the battery and can tell you much more closely what is happening. It's a bit expensive, but it eliminates most of your problems. Worried about "parasitic drain"? Press one button and you can see how many amps are leaving the battery. Want to know how long it will take to charge? Start the car, then press another button to see the voltage at the battery and the number of amps flowing in. Want to know how the fridge affects it? Turn it on and see what it does to the readout.

When storing the battery, a battery disconnect is a good idea. However, the battery will still self-discharge over time. The more it discharges and the longer it stays discharged, the worse it is for the battery. You can either not worry about it and accept the shorter battery life, manually charge it periodically like you seem to be doing, attach a "batter minder" type device to maintain the charge, or upgrade your trailer's converter to a smart charger that can maintaing the charge without boiling away the liquid (maybe not a problem with AGM's?). I added the "Charge Wizard" to my converter/charger--it stays on continuously when our trailer is in storage.

Derek

Tags
battery