Battery for Camping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2014, 11:57 AM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Battery for Camping

I already have 2 batteries in my Parkliner. I bought a tent (about 10' x 10') to use for additional living area. I have a 45 watt solar setup I'm not using and can grab another 15 watt panel for total of 60 if I need to.

I want a battery to use in the tent. I want to be able to carry it inside the tow (Blazer) and then put it in the tent when it's set up.

Someone suggested that with only 45 watts, I need a battery that is rated 35 - 40 ah or the battery would experience sulfation and not last very long.

So I don't know what's best to do. I also have a 100 watt panel (portable) that I connect to the trailer's 7 pole connector. I could alternate days - one day connect to trailer and next day to tent battery. That way I could buy the same type of battery I have in the trailer so it would be a spare if needed. Those batteries are 75 Ah.

Ideas?

Is it dangerous to carry a marine deep cycle battery in the SUV or keep in the tent?

Can someone recommend a battery if I go with the 45 watt system?
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:28 PM   #2

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
In the last 6 or 7 years I have installed and used 5 50W and one 60W solar systems.
I use group 27 or 29 12 V Deep Cycle batteries from Wal Mart.
I have never regretted a 50W system.
The only reason I went with the 60W panel is Solar Blvd. had them on sale so they were s little less than the 50 W.
When it's cold I run the furnace at 55 and have changed all lighting to LED and have never run out of power.
A 45W system will supply all of the power you need from an ordinary group 27 Deep cycle battery.
I'm assuming you not going to be running a Ham Radio or a 50" Flat Screen.

You will have plenty of power for lighting, a radio or a small 12v TV.

Buy an appropriate battery box and you should have no problem with it in the SUV or tent.

John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: Aliner folding & Weekend Warrior toy hauler
Ohio
Sounds like you will be creating a lot of extra work. I run a cord from our canopy back to the trailer where I installed 12v receptacles on the outside of the trailer.

Unless you go big bucks for an AGM or gel battery you take a risk of acid getting on you, the SUV, the tent, and anything else that comes in contact with it. Do you like acid holes in everything you own?
1998 Ford E150 pulling a 2006 Weekend Warrior toy hauler = 8 MPG
beemerphile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile1 View Post
Sounds like you will be creating a lot of extra work. I run a cord from our canopy back to the trailer where I installed 12v receptacles on the outside of the trailer.
I don't understand why you need ANOTHER battery myself. Why not just cord over from the two you have on the camper? If I did anything it would be to upgrade my camper's batteries (when they died) before I added any more. It does not sound like you are jump starting Cat Diesels, a smallish extension cord should be fine.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #5

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
I'm seriously thinking about going full-time. The main obstacles right now are making some home repairs, selling the house, and getting rid of everything. I have been taking steps to get there, but it is a fairly long road.

For this year, I hope to do a 2 month trip in the fall and then a 3 or 4 month trip over the winter. The tent is part of my plan for full-timing.

I hope to supplement my income with a blog and need to make sure my camera, cell phone, video camera, computer, etc stay charged. I figure an additional solar panel and battery are a relatively small price to pay to guaranty I have enough power available. And the more I can do without electrical hookup, the quicker they pay for themselves.

I'm planning a 10-14 day trip in a couple of weeks and wanted to try out a separate battery for the tent. Since I already have a 45 watt solar setup (minus battery), there is only the cost of a battery involved.

This is just another step in my education before I go full-time. Do I need another solar panel and battery right now? No. Will I need it when I go full-time? Probably, unless I stay in campgrounds with electrical hookups.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:07 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I have used an xPower 450w battery since 2004 for extra power. It is sealed, has an invertor, includes a 12v plug, has a radio and light, came with jumper cables and a double ended plug for charging from the lighter. I use it to run my CPAP when we dry camp, then plug out into the car when we move or to AC when we have power. They make one with a solar panel for about the same price as I originally paid for mine ~ just I've $200.

2009 Casita FD - Sold
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:13 PM   #7

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
A battery sitting out in a tent can be easy prey for grab-and-dash thieves looking to make a quick buck. Unfortunately, stuff like can happen. So I agree with others who suggested just running a power cord out from your camper batteries that are likely easier to secure. Just my opinion....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:26 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Dashing with an 80 lb. battery isn't that easy.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:22 AM   #9

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Dashing with an 80 lb. battery isn't that easy.
Just a 10 yard dash to throw it in the bed of their buddy's idling pickup - along side a cooler full of beer and bicycle they just stole from another campsite - then off they go in the dark of night. I hate to be pessimistic, but even nice rv campsites can have midnight trolls cruising for the spoils left out by overly-trusting guests. An ounce of caution goes a long way - even when you think you're just out to enjoy a weekend with Mother Nature. Sorry for the downer, but it happens...
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:35 PM   #10

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
If it was me, I would set the camper up with all power requirements, and just run a cord over to the tent. Some Andersen connectors would make it really simple.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery