Battery groups? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-18-2014, 05:35 PM   #15
Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
In addition to physical size and power you need to consider weight.

Here are some approximateweights for lead acid battery's. There will be some variation here.

Group 24 46 pounds
Group 27 55 pounds
Group 31 75 pounds
GC 2 6 volt 60 pounds X 2 to get 12 volts = 120 pounds

I would love to have 2 GC2 battery's but adding the weight to the tongue makes it impossible on the Bigfoot

Jack L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:51 PM   #16
Name: Morgyn
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
I figured the larger the group number would mean larger size/weight. I need to keep the Boler as light as possible. I forgot how heavy batteries were! Which is really funny considering I used to work in an auto department way back when. Tires and batteries were moved by whoever drew the short straw!

1981 13' Boler
Nova Scotia

morgynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:56 PM   #17
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Originally Posted by morgynm View Post
I'm lost! Got that the numbers just indicate the size but you lost me on the amp hours.

Here's the battery I'm looking at:
Group 24 AGM Deep Cycle Battery | Canadian Tire

It says 75 amp hours. We only camp on the weekends at this point in our lives so this will do for now?

And what is the difference between having one 12v vs two 6v? I've seen the 6v mentioned in other threads so I've been very curious!

1981 13' Boler
Nova Scotia
Morgyn as you plan to boom dock and use your power fan etc I would seriously consider going with the Group 27 over the group 24 . Check the prices at Costco if you have one near you - their battery prices are normally cheaper than Canadian Tire.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:04 PM   #18
Name: Morgyn
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
I'll check them out tomorrow for prices! Thanks for the tip.

1981 13' Boler
Nova Scotia
morgynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:37 PM   #19
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Not a lot of price difference between 24/27 group but you are picking up ~20 amp hours so it is probably worth it if the larger battery will fit in the location.

If you ever go solar that "extra" storage capacity will come in handy if it is not sunny for a couple of days. Or even just figuring an extra 8 - 10 hrs. of running that fan if it's hot.

I know an earlier post mentioned that a pair of 6 volts (being 120 lbs. of battery) will have a lot of amp hours. 120 lbs. of 12 volt would be pretty close to the same. However 6 volt batteries for golf carts etc. are "true" deep cycle batteries, designed to withstand deeper discharge better than "marine" or dual use starting/deep cycle. True deep cycle also tend to do better at sustained load. If you need 225 ah it will certainly provide it. With one weakness if either battery malfunctions you don't have 12 volts. Which is why some earlier posts mentioned going to dual 12 volt batteries. Slightly less amp hours but either battery can run the system on it's own, just with less capacity.

RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote