Battery issue remains 2nd post - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #15

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Michael, I'd pop of a cheap multimeter - like $5 at Harbor Freight or Princess Auto. You Tube has lots of how to videos. You really only need to know how to measure voltage (and polarity) to do this diagnosis.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #16

Name: Raymond
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster
California
Don't know where you had your wiring harness installed but if it was UHaul they probably screwed it up. Every time I've had them install something they pork it. First they installed a hitch, when I got home I looked underneath and only 3 of the 4 bolts were in. Took it back and they said they had a hard time getting the bolt to line up so they skipped it. WTH!?!? Then when I was rewiring my trailer I had them install a harness. Got home hooked up my tv to trailer and nothing worked right. Double, triple and quadruple checked my work....researched trailer wiring schematics on line. Nearly went crazy tring to find the problem. Lo and behold the "professionals" at UHaul wired it incorrectly. Once they fixed it I got home hooked up and everything worked.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #17

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebamboo View Post
Is it not correct that the trailer connector will only plug into the TV one way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Yes, but the connectors might have the wrong wires connected to the wrong pins.
The 7-pin RV connector should only plug in one way; however, the thing preventing it from plugging in rotated to any one of six positions is a tab on one side and matching slot in the socket. If the tab is worn off (such as by being dragged on the ground) it could possibly plug in at the wrong position... it has happened (not to me).

I think that wrong wiring, as Roy describes, may be more common.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #18

Name: Michael
Trailer: 17ft Bigfoot trailer
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpryor3 View Post
Don't know where you had your wiring harness installed but if it was UHaul they probably screwed it up. Every time I've had them install something they pork it. First they installed a hitch, when I got home I looked underneath and only 3 of the 4 bolts were in. Took it back and they said they had a hard time getting the bolt to line up so they skipped it. WTH!?!? Then when I was rewiring my trailer I had them install a harness. Got home hooked up my tv to trailer and nothing worked right. Double, triple and quadruple checked my work....researched trailer wiring schematics on line. Nearly went crazy tring to find the problem. Lo and behold the "professionals" at UHaul wired it incorrectly. Once they fixed it I got home hooked up and everything worked.
Only 3 of the 4 bolts, huh? Yikes! You'd like to have a little faith in a job done right. I'm thinking that this may be a likely suspect.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:30 PM   #19

Name: Michael
Trailer: 17ft Bigfoot trailer
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The 7-pin RV connector should only plug in one way; however, the thing preventing it from plugging in rotated to any one of six positions is a tab on one side and matching slot in the socket. If the tab is worn off (such as by being dragged on the ground) it could possibly plug in at the wrong position... it has happened (not to me).

I think that wrong wiring, as Roy describes, may be more common.
Yes, it think you're right. Thanks.

Tags
battery