Battery not charging while towing - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-10-2016, 10:23 AM   #15

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Thanks Steve, everyone for these details. Seven hours was a long drive with the fridge on battery, so perhaps draining down to 9.6 was not unexpected.

We may travel again next week, so when we next do all the hookups I'll check the voltage coming from the alternator.

Steve, you say you drain your battery down all the time. Is it now considered damaged? Or once this has happened several times, isn't it less able to hold a charge?

Ours charges readily back up to 13, but wondering what the belweather is that a new one is needed.

5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:37 AM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I run my fridge on EVERY camping trip on a standard alternator on a 4 cyl Nissan Frontier and have never had a problem.
:lout I could not run the 20 year old fridge on my old Scamp on DC when towing with either my newish V6 Nissan Frontier or my Subaru Outback. Neither supplied enough power to the trailer to keep up with the old fridges consumption.

I would start out the tow with a well charged battery and would always arrive at destination with a somewhat depleted trailer battery. The longer the drive the more the battery was down. Not a good thing if I was going to be camping without power.

Solution was to cool the fridge down well prior to traveling and put a frozen plastic bottle or two in it prior to leaving. Once the bottles where no longer frozen I used a couple of freezer packs I kept in the freezer - put them beside dairy products and meat etc. when traveling. I also added extra insulation around the fridge itself to try and help with keeping it cool while on the road or camping in hot weather.

I know a lot of folks simple leave the fridge running on propane to get around the issue.

This may have a lot to do with how old the fridge is and its DC consumption - older it is the more it is probable using. And as others have said how much power the tow vehicle is actually supplying to the trailer.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:41 AM   #17

Name: guy
Trailer: Ventura
Alberta
Check Fuse

Do check the voltage at the plug, most wiring are after market setup when the hitch is installed and the wire is fuse at the battery end. It would not show at the computer as it it not connected to it.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:53 AM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
I seriously abuse my batteries and they don't last more than 2-3 years. I leave it on the charger for months at a time. I almost always have to add water in the spring. I deep discharge it on occasions. I talk trash to it. I give it mean stares. My trailer is where bad batteries are sent...

But seriously, I get only a fraction of the amp hour rating. Since I had some health problems and getting around is problematic I haven't boondocked so I don't miss the long life off the charger much. I did a much better job earlier.

I few years ago I tried shoehorning a group 27 in there and I was able to do so but I lost the clearance to have my battery watering device installed. I'm going back to the group 24 that came with the trailer and reinstall the battery maintainer. I feet it helped a lot with battery longevity by staying on top of the fluid levels.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:59 PM   #19

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
:lout I could not run the 20 year old fridge on my old Scamp on DC when towing with either my newish V6 Nissan Frontier or my Subaru Outback. Neither supplied enough power to the trailer to keep up with the old fridges consumption.
What is 12V wire gauge running to the 7 pin connector? To my knowledge the wire supplied by "factory tow package" is too thin.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:20 PM   #20

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
I think I edited (havent looked back) and said that my fridge is a 1.9 CI. This I think will make ALL the difference in how much amperage is being pulled on the alternator while towing. Again, someone just wrote in and asked "What 12v wire". I ran my own and ran 10ga. It does NOT have a problem getting enough amps to my battery. I've never pulled over 7-8 hours but it's held it.

And one more thing to throw in the mix... my Frontier is a '99 model. "Newish" models- as you call them Carol- could possibly be running borderline on a smaller more "efficient" alternator? Wouldnt be afraid to say so with the way the gov. is pushing for the gas mileage, etc.!! BUT, if the vehicle comes with a "Tow package", then it should automatically include a larger alternator. This is what I found with the Toyota Tacoma when I was shopping for one anyway.

I'm curious as to what size fridge you are/were running?

[QUOTE=Carol H;602945]:lout I could not run the 20 year old fridge on my old Scamp on DC when towing with either my newish V6 Nissan Frontier or my Subaru Outback. Neither supplied enough power to the trailer to keep up with the old fridges consumption.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:31 PM   #21

Name: Paul
Trailer: Escape
British Columbia
The easy solution

The easy solution to this problem is simply run the fridge on propane when you are driving and yes it is safe.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:50 PM   #22

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Oh boy...it's party time! Get the popcorn!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrisetrucker View Post
The easy solution to this problem is simply run the fridge on propane when you are driving and yes it is safe.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:36 PM   #23

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
Quote:
Yes and it is absolutely NOT safe.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:44 PM   #24

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Oh boy...it's party time! Get the popcorn!!!
And in this corner, we have the heavy weight champion...

But please! I beg of everyone, lets not beat this very dead horse ad infinitum. Just let it go.....
Old 08-10-2016, 02:57 PM   #25

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
New people join the forums all the time. For them, there may some life in that horse. Easy solution is just not to participate.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:26 PM   #26

Name: Paul
Trailer: Escape
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Yes and it is absolutely NOT safe.
If you want to be truly safe, turn off the fuel to your TV. It's well known that gasoline is more dangerous than propane.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:39 PM   #27

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Quote:
If you want to be truly safe, turn off the fuel to your TV. It's well known that gasoline is more dangerous than propane.
OP here saying we are OT!

Perhaps those wishing to discuss running propane while driving (which will not be my solution to this problem), could begin a new thread?
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:56 PM   #28

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
OP here saying we are OT!

Perhaps those wishing to discuss running propane while driving (which will not be my solution to this problem), could begin a new thread?

Or add to one of the MANY existing ones on the topic

Tags
battery