I just got my very first trailer. It's a 1975 Honey Boler
and it's awesome! Super excited.
I'm a complete novice at this, so please bear with me. It came with a 12v battery
that is currently inside the Boler
, under the front bench. I believe it's just a regular car battery
. The guy at the RV store told me it was dangerous for it to be inside, but I'm pretty sure that's how the previous owners had been using it.
The previous owners gave me a solar
charger and said that they would take the battery
out and charge it on a picnic table. Well, I'm in Oregon and there isn't much sun. Also, I'm full-timing it, and the idea of taking the battery out every day to charge it sounds kind of annoying.
My questions are:
1. Is simply having the battery inside under the seat safe? Will my dog and I die of poisoning or will it start a fire just sitting in there?
2. If it is unsafe, should I remove the battery from the Boler
and put it outside or in the garage or somewhere else? Or would removing the alligator clips and/or not using the batter-powered lights
and fan be enough?
3. How should I charge this thing? I'm in my friend's backyard right now and plugged into electric. Someone suggested that I use a trickle charger overnight and just plug it into the AC outlet in my trailer. That seems like it might be dangerous though...
Again, I know these are super basic questions, but I'm learning here.
Any advice would be most appreciated!