Originally Posted by Jack L
If your charging system is overcharging the battery the battery will "boil" or bubble and produce hydrogen gas. This gas is HIGHLY EXPLOSIVE ! It's the same stuff hydrogen bombs were made of. The smell is usually described as "rotten egg" smell.
If this is in fact your problem, disconnect the power source as a spark could cause an explosion. Let everything cool down and ventilate the area. Next step, check voltage with a meter after things are cool. If your voltage is high you have a situation where your charger is overcharging and your battery may be ruined also.
Be carefull ! When a battery explodes it is every bit as loud as a gunshot and acid goes all over.
Again do not do any testing until you are sure any build up of hydrogen is eliminated.
Lol, well technically it is close to the stuff hydrogen bombs are made of, minus the plutonium bomb used to start the fusion chain reaction. The 'hydrogen' is actually deuterium or 'heavy' hydrogen, and is itself a hydrogen isotope with an extra neutron.
Hydrogen is however exactly the same stuff that caused the hindenburg disaster. Two hydrogen atoms will join with one oxygen
atom in a burning chemical reaction to create... Water. H2O. And yep, that reaction is an explosive one.