Battery smell - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #1

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
My burro is parked next to the house. We have electric running out to it and the battery recharger attached to the battery on the front. The last few days I've thought we either had a dead animal under the house (next to the burro) or a leak in the pipes to the street - after crawling under the house and searching the bushes, we've finally figured out that the dead animal/sewer smell was coming from the battery box. I've detached the charger. Does anyone know what I'm dealing with? You folks always know! Just tell me what to do please.
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue and Henry View Post
My burro is parked next to the house. We have electric running out to it and the battery recharger attached to the battery on the front. The last few days I've thought we either had a dead animal under the house (next to the burro) or a leak in the pipes to the street - after crawling under the house and searching the bushes, we've finally figured out that the dead animal/sewer smell was coming from the battery box. I've detached the charger. Does anyone know what I'm dealing with? You folks always know! Just tell me what to do please.
Look at the water level in the battery.
Is the battery charger a "smart charger", if not you need to be careful not to overcharge the battery. Overcharging simply means boiling out the liquid.
If the liquid is low fill it back up with distilled water, don't use tap water. If the liquid level is below the plates you could have damaged the battery.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #3

Washington
Registry
Thanks Byron. I thought it was a smart charger. It sounds like I may have been wrong. :-(
Old 10-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
If your charging system is overcharging the battery the battery will "boil" or bubble and produce hydrogen gas. This gas is HIGHLY EXPLOSIVE ! It's the same stuff hydrogen bombs were made of. The smell is usually described as "rotten egg" smell.

If this is in fact your problem, disconnect the power source as a spark could cause an explosion. Let everything cool down and ventilate the area. Next step, check voltage with a meter after things are cool. If your voltage is high you have a situation where your charger is overcharging and your battery may be ruined also.

Be carefull ! When a battery explodes it is every bit as loud as a gunshot and acid goes all over.

Again do not do any testing until you are sure any build up of hydrogen is eliminated.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #5

Washington
Registry
Thanks jack. The charger is unplugged and detached from the battery. I do see some dried liquid on the battery surface.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1825464939.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	65830

The smell is gone but I am waiting until tomorrow morning to open it up. I think I'll need to replace since I've smelt the odor several days. I'm glad it didn't blow up!
Old 10-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #6

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Go to your local Costco and buy a RV battery. They have one of the best warranties.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #7

Washington
Registry
Okay. Thank you Chuck.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #8

Name: Don
Trailer: '79 Boler 1700RGH
British Columbia
Try topping off the battery with distilled water first.. clean the top nice, pop those covers off and pour it in.. Then try charging again but keep an eye on it and don't let it sit there charging for ever.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #9

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Kinslayer is correct. If U buy a new battery make sure you get one that you can add water to.

Get a battery hydrometer and test each cell once the battery is full of water and charged.
Autocraft Hydrometer Battery Tester-AC108/A7062059 - Advance Auto Parts

The good chargers today have a De-sulfate function and will not over charge. Look for that on the box.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I would measure the battery voltage and see if its above 12 volts. Then I would tie wrap the groups of wires on each pole and tag them pos and neg so they dont get crossed up in the process. Then I would remove the battery and leave the covers to the cells on and clean everything with hot water and baking soda. Everything inside and around that battery box may be covered with acid from the boiled battery. Then rince with clean water. then I would add water to the battery. Then I would charge the battery and disconnect the battery and let it sit unconnected for about an hour and record the voltage, then let it sit unconnected another 24 hours to check if it is holding the same voltage since you last checked it. If it shows significant voltage drop or under 12.5 volts suspect a bad cell. then its up to you to have the battery load tested or replace it. A bad cell will boil a battery when charging. I would find out what your system uses to charge your battery so you can do what is necessary to matain your battery.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #11

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
If your charging system is overcharging the battery the battery will "boil" or bubble and produce hydrogen gas. This gas is HIGHLY EXPLOSIVE ! It's the same stuff hydrogen bombs were made of. The smell is usually described as "rotten egg" smell.

If this is in fact your problem, disconnect the power source as a spark could cause an explosion. Let everything cool down and ventilate the area. Next step, check voltage with a meter after things are cool. If your voltage is high you have a situation where your charger is overcharging and your battery may be ruined also.

Be carefull ! When a battery explodes it is every bit as loud as a gunshot and acid goes all over.

Again do not do any testing until you are sure any build up of hydrogen is eliminated.
Lol, well technically it is close to the stuff hydrogen bombs are made of, minus the plutonium bomb used to start the fusion chain reaction. The 'hydrogen' is actually deuterium or 'heavy' hydrogen, and is itself a hydrogen isotope with an extra neutron.

Hydrogen is however exactly the same stuff that caused the hindenburg disaster. Two hydrogen atoms will join with one oxygen atom in a burning chemical reaction to create... Water. H2O. And yep, that reaction is an explosive one.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #12

Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
California
Don't forget to wear rubber gloves and eye protection when working on batteries. It is way too easy to get splashed by acid when trying to add water. And that nasty white crusty stuff you'll be cleaning up around the terminals can be an issue, too.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #13

Washington
Registry
Just a quick update. I charged and let the battery rest then took it to a local napa for testing. It charged, but did not hold. On the up side, the gentleman gave me a quick in service on what my charger would and would not do. No automatic turn off :-( so, I'm off to Costco to purchase a new battery as suggested here. Thank you all for being so helpful!
Old 10-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #14

Alabama
Just be careful that you don't destroy your new battery with a charger that doesn't do the right stuff. Batteries should last a long time so the old one being dead is a wake up call.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #15

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post

H2 does not have a smell I made the stuff most of my work life.

As part of battery maintenance check to make sure the vent is clear.
H2 is lighter than air and dissipates quickly.
It is unstable and reacts to light as well as air hence the reason battery casings are not clear in color.
The H2 in batteries is generated from the H2SO4.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #16

Alabama
The rotten egg smell is the smell of the sulfur, some of which probably gets vented as well.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #17

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Kinslayer is correct. If U buy a new battery make sure you get one that you can add water to. Get a battery hydrometer and test each cell once the battery is full of water and charged. Autocraft Hydrometer Battery Tester-AC108/A7062059 - Advance Auto Parts The good chargers today have a De-sulfate function and will not over charge. Look for that on the box.
Thanks Darwin. I'm ordering both the hydrometer and desulfate function charger. Who knew life was so complicated? :-)
Old 10-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Just a quick update. I charged and let the battery rest then took it to a local napa for testing. It charged, but did not hold. On the up side, the gentleman gave me a quick in service on what my charger would and would not do. No automatic turn off :-( so, I'm off to Costco to purchase a new battery as suggested here. Thank you all for being so helpful!

Shumauker and Black & Decker (same thing) Smart charges seem to work pretty good. If I was going to leave a battery connected all the time to a charger I would use one of the battery maintainer type (Battery Tender, Battery Keeper, Battery Minder, etc.) Read what they say, most are trickle charges and with desulfate mode. Many battery stores use them to keep their shelf stock charged and ready to go.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #19

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Saw this hydrometer at Tractor Supply for less than $6.
Lynx Hydrometer Battery Tester - Tractor Supply Online Store
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #20

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Thanks Darwin. I'm ordering both the hydrometer and desulfate function charger. Who knew life was so complicated? :-)

Take a look at the Progressive Dynamics converters and power chassis with a smart charger. I prefer the PD-4045 chassis, it replaces whatever you have for a converter/Dist panel and gives everything to make an RV battery very happy.

I have installed at least six, including three on my own FGRV's. without any further problems.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote