Battery Tender / Battery Maintenance - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #15

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblelover View Post
This makes me wonder, I have a Casita Liberty Delux 06 model which when plugged in to 110 v charges the battery automatic and I will have to do more research to see if it won't overcharge. I am guessing that yours may not have that feature. I haven't looked into other brands or models.
I am very familiar with Casita's..... If it's the stock converter it will overcharge but all you need to do is plug it in once a month for 24 hours and you will be fine.
Make sure your water level is up to par and did not boil it out from leaving it plugged in

Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:36 AM   #16

Name: Karen L.
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 ft (My Burrito!)
Washington
Wow! Thanks for link & all, Joe! I now have so much info not sure what to do, but sure appreciate everyone's input! Think I'll try looking locally, say @ Harbor Freight or WalMart before I order! Use to use a battery charger that had a Trickle Charge! Did I luck out in using it?? I use a Solar Charger when camping! Are all the mentioned Battery Minder, Tender,etc considered Float Chargers or is that something different??

Old 12-29-2014, 09:40 AM   #17

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
"Bubblelover".... I have the Progressive Dynamics converter in my '10 Scamp. Available for that converter is what they call a "Charge Wizard". It did not come with one. I've often thought about purchasing one that mounts with the converter and you'll never have to worry about your battery overcharging with the RV plugged in. It's basically a smart charger designed/built for the PD converters. But at $35 + Shipping, I'd rather purchase one (Tender/Minder) that I can use elsewhere and not just proprietary to the Scamp.

SO, if yours has an "automatic" charger that "monitors" the charge then reduces to a "float" mode, you're good to go. If not? Your battery is in danger. From what you describe, it sounds like you have it. I'd be interested in knowing if you check on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblelover View Post
This makes me wonder, I have a Casita Liberty Delux 06 model which when plugged in to 110 v charges the battery automatic and I will have to do more research to see if it won't overcharge. I am guessing that yours may not have that feature. I haven't looked into other brands or models.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:51 AM   #18

Tennessee
Karen... a "trickle" charge is constant and will always be "on" to the battery. While it technically may not hurt the battery, the better chargers have a "float" state. This shuts the charger off and to me, let's the battery rest. Then when the voltage drops to apx 13+ volts, it will kick on again to keep the battery topped out and help prevent the damaging "sulfation" that happens when batteries are at a low discharge state.

One opinion on Harbor Freight. I use alot of HF items....some are good some are not. One thing to weigh in on on the chargers...you're going to be leaving these on extensively. To me, I wouldnt be comfortable with some of the experiences I've had with other HF items- electrical AND mechanical. (I own their previous Lathe/Mill combo). Here's the clincher: Look at the warranty.

HF = 90 days.

Battery Tender = 10 yrs. on the BT + (5 yrs on most models)
Battery Tender® Plus

Battery Minder = 5 yrs

Food for thought....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen L. View Post
Wow! Thanks for link & all, Joe! I now have so much info not sure what to do, but sure appreciate everyone's input! Think I'll try looking locally, say @ Harbor Freight or WalMart before I order! Use to use a battery charger that had a Trickle Charge! Did I luck out in using it?? I use a Solar Charger when camping! Are all the mentioned Battery Minder, Tender,etc considered Float Chargers or is that something different??
Old 12-29-2014, 01:59 PM   #19

Name: Karen L.
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 ft (My Burrito!)
Washington
Talking

One last question... Should the battery be taken out & stored inside, or is it O.K to leave it on the trailer with the minder/tender in place?? Thank you for all your help! I had always wondered what a "float charger" was, now I think I know!! Silly me, I'd thought it had to do with boats!!! Had visions of it floating on the water next to a boat!!! (I do know my battery is a Marine/RV battery!)
Old 12-29-2014, 02:17 PM   #20

New River AZ
You can leave it in the trailer connected or take it out..... being on a float charger it will be fine. If no charger better to store inside in winter storage
Old 12-29-2014, 02:21 PM   #21

Tennessee
Some of the chargers I'm looking at are "waterproof" so it's safe to use them outside. Think of it this way on "storing" your battery. Your car battery stays outside year-round and it doesnt hurt it when it's charged. The same with the deep-cycle RV....especially with the Tender or equal in place keeping it topped off. I speak from Tennessee weather...temps going down to single-digits for a short spell...avg apx 30 deg in the winter. In Minnesota or other extremely cold places? I would check on how much cold your particular charger can take and go from there.

I've never used a "smart" charger on my Deep-cycle Scamp battery yet... charging it as suggested apx 1 day every month. This battery is going on 5 yrs old and doesnt have a problem taking or staying charged. I have a plugin voltmeter that can keep a watch on the voltage for you. They have them at Walmart. I keep one in my Scamp. Here's one on Ebay and Harbor Freight has one identical but cheaper:
Tooluxe LED Car Battery Tester Alternator Tester Fits 12V Cigarette Lighter | eBay

Quote:
One last question... Should the battery be taken out & stored inside, or is it O.K to leave it on the trailer with the minder/tender in place?? Thank you for all your help! I had always wondered what a "float charger" was, now I think I know!! Silly me, I'd thought it had to do with boats!!! Had visions of it floating on the watwer next to a boat!!! (I do know my battery is a Marine/RV battery!)
Old 12-30-2014, 08:44 AM   #22

Name: Tim
Trailer: Aliner folding & Weekend Warrior toy hauler
Ohio
Quote:
Thanks all for your imput!! Was all set to go to Wal Mart.. then saw the link to purchase for $19.99, then the comment re Harbor Freight!! I will check with all!! Thank you SO MUCH!!
The HF trickle charger is NOT a battery maintainer as compared to the Deltran Tender and the BatteryMINDer. I would not trust any battery connected long term to the HF trickle charger.

A trickle charger supplies continuous small amperage constantly.

A battery maintainer varies the voltage, amperage, and monitors the state of charge.

Quote:
...Should the battery be taken out & stored inside, or is it O.K to leave it on the trailer with the minder/tender in place....
Doesn't matter one bit, inside or out. Protect the maintainer from weather. Disconnect the negative cable from the battery to trailer. The maintainers have an output between .75 amp and 1.5 amp. If the trailer has parasitic loads like a CO or LPG detector the maintainer may be overtaxed.
1998 Ford E150 pulling a 2006 Weekend Warrior toy hauler = 8 MPG
beemerphile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:25 AM   #23

Name: Tim
Trailer: Aliner folding & Weekend Warrior toy hauler
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy P. View Post
...I found a good deal on a BatteryMinder at Northern Tool. It's Model #12117: 12 Volt 1.33 Amp Charger/Maintainer/Desulfator for $19.99. (Reg. $49.99).

BatteryMINDer Charger/Maintainer/Desulfator — 1.3 Amp, 12 Volt, Model# 12117 | Battery Maintainers| Northern Tool + Equipment

Randy
Thanks for the link, I just ordered a BatteryMINDer to add to the other six chargers I own. I have been intrigued by the pulse desulfation mode of the BatteryMINDer. Now I get to try it out.

If you use keycode 197926 for an additional $5 discount the cost is only $14.99 plus shipping.

The #12117 has been discontinued and is replaced by the #1500. The model #1500 has temperature compensation and slightly more amperage than the model #12117. I don't consider either to be important in a battery maintainer. My big charger has temperature compensation which can be helpful when putting BIG amps into a battery.
1998 Ford E150 pulling a 2006 Weekend Warrior toy hauler = 8 MPG
beemerphile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:18 PM   #24

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile1 View Post
I have been intrigued by the pulse desulfation mode of the BatteryMINDer. Now I get to try it out.

If you use keycode 197926 for an additional $5 discount the cost is only $14.99 plus shipping.
Doh, now I find out. Oh well, I did get free shipping so it all works out. Either way, for the cost it's a bargain.

I too am interested in the desulfation mode of the BatterMINDer. Some report very good results so I thought it was worth a shot. For 20 Dollars....fogetaboutit.

And I agree, the difference between the 1500 and 12117 is minimal. In addition to the items you listed, the 1500 does have a 1 ft. longer cord. Nice? sure. Worth the extra 30 bucks? Not to me. I have extension cords if it comes to that.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:41 PM   #25

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
[QUOTE=beemerphile1;497624]The HF trickle charger is NOT a battery maintainer as compared to the Deltran Tender and the BatteryMINDer. I would not trust any battery connected long term to the HF trickle charger.

Can you explain why I lost only one ATV battery in 10 years with the HF battery maintainer.
For 6 years I had 6 ATVs sitting months at a time without use.
Now I have 3 sitting for months at a time without any use.
I've lost one battery because the maintainer came unplugged.
One of the biggest expenses owning ATVs seem to be buying batteries.
I've bought one in 10 years.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:19 AM   #26

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I have two battery tender brand maintainers. Both purchased at Wally. My scamp battery is on the more expensive 60 dollar one and I keep that plugged in all winter, battery sitting on a wooden shelf in the basement. It has a mode to keep battery maintained once fully charged.

The other one is in my garage and I switch it off between the generator battery and lawn tractor battery. Both battery tender brand, both work great.

Only problem I ever had was using a black and decker one when I first started camping with my old pop up. Died second season.

I would not want to keep my trailer plugged in all winter just to charge battery. However the PO of my scamp did do just that and I think other folks do too. My reason: would worry about shortening life of converter but I might just be making that up with concerns unfounded.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-02-2015, 09:25 AM   #27

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Ugh. Not the wood myth again.

Batteries can sit on concrete, and will actually discharge LESS, due to the floor usually being cooler. In fact, they could sit in standing water on concrete, as long as the cells and terminals aren't flooded.

Unless you still use a wood case, rubber cased, or tar coated battery, concrete will not drain it.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:05 AM   #28

New River AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Ugh. Not the wood myth again.

Batteries can sit on concrete,
Unless you still use a wood case, rubber cased, or tar coated battery, concrete will not drain it.

I usually set the battery on a piece of wood on the basement floor/garage floor..... that's ok?______

Tags
battery