Battery Tender / Battery Maintenance - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2014, 01:56 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Battery Tender / Battery Maintenance

I'm looking into getting me the Battery Tender. I'd rather use it than plug in my Scamp during the winter just to charge the battery. The converter doesnt "monitor" the battery and it could over-charge if forgotten.

Anyway, I'd like to use this charger for my lawnmower, motorcycle etc.

Again, I'm looking at the Battery Tender (128) model that puts out 1.5A and also has a "float" mode- keeps the battery charged but doesnt let it over charge.

I know there are other brands out there now and am curious and interested if you guys have used ANY of the chargers? Any opinions/recommendations?
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:31 PM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: Aliner folding & Weekend Warrior toy hauler
Ohio
I have used two Deltran Battery Tenders for many years, they are excellent battery chargers/maintainers.

You may also want to look at the BatteryMINDer brand of maintainers. I believe they have some features that the Tender does not. I would consider the MINDer and compare the two if I was in the market for a maintainer.
1998 Ford E150 pulling a 2006 Weekend Warrior toy hauler = 8 MPG
beemerphile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #3

Thanks "beemer". Just quickly glanced at them and you're right, they do look like they provide more info. But I DO know the old "Tenders" have been around a long time and are dependable as well.

I'm into RC flying and have several digital "Peak" chargers where they will charge, discharge etc nicads, niMh, SLAs and Lipos batteries. On the discharge, they will tell you how many amps (mA) the batteries have. They also have "balancers" now for the lipo multi-cell batteries. You can set charge rates, discharge....on and on with these small "Smart" chargers.

So, I like information and will further pursue the "Minder".

Thanks again....
Old 12-26-2014, 08:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 ft (My Burrito!)
Hate to sound so backward or uninformed..Is the MINDER in lieu of taking the battery out & storing in, somewhat like a Trickle Charge?? I use to take the battery out & store it in the garage, but with 2 broken Clavicles, bad back, neck & arthritis, it's getting harder & harder to do!!
Karen L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:10 PM   #5

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
I have used the 'battery tender junior' for several years. It gets moved between the trailer, tractor, and Westcoaster. Well, the tractor is sold now so only the trailer and Westcoaster Never had any problems with it.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:12 PM   #6

Exactly Karen. The Battery Tender JR that Dennis (Thanks Dennis) mentions would be PERFECT for your needs. Dont remove the battery; just simply hook this Jr up and let it do its job. That's exactly my intentions on my mower, Scamp and an extra vehicle I have. I just want one a little more elaborate because I like "gadgets" with gauges, meters, lights etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen L. View Post
Hate to sound so backward or uninformed..Is the MINDER in lieu of taking the battery out & storing in, somewhat like a Trickle Charge?? I use to take the battery out & store it in the garage, but with 2 broken Clavicles, bad back, neck & arthritis, it's getting harder & harder to do!!
Old 12-26-2014, 11:56 PM   #7

Name: jim & mary
Trailer: scamp 13 1999
Washington
Registry
Darral T
Have been using a battery tender on my scamp and two automobiles I also store in the winter with very satisfactory results

Jim Ellis
jim ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 02:08 AM   #8

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I had used the "Battery Tender" for years on my motorcycle battery and found the included wiring harnesse that can be hooked up to the battery a real time saver when hooking it up. I sold the motorcycle and as an inducement to make the sale I included the Battery Tender. They are really highly thought of battery chargers among motorcycle enthusiasts. A couple of years ago I was at WalMart and noticed that they were now selling the Battery tender ( two models )so I purchased one. I have long considered them to be the best "maintenance" charger available. Not familiar with the Battery Minder but it may be an excellant choice too. The main thing is to get a maintenance type charger vs one of those quick charge chargers that could end up frying your battery if improperly used.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:33 AM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Unlike the Battery Tender, the Battery Minder has a pulse circuit that desulphates the battery plates. Build up of sulpher from battery acid is the primary cause of battery failure. That would seem to make the Battery Minder a better choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #10

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
Great discussion folks.

I've been wanting one of these for a while and the conversation motivated me to finally order one. I found a good deal on a BatteryMinder at Northern Tool. It's Model #12117: 12 Volt 1.33 Amp Charger/Maintainer/Desulfator for $19.99. (Reg. $49.99).

Here's the link if anyone is interested:

BatteryMINDer Charger/Maintainer/Desulfator — 1.3 Amp, 12 Volt, Model# 12117 | Battery Maintainers| Northern Tool + Equipment

Randy
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #11

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I'm looking into getting me the Battery Tender. I'd rather use it than plug in my Scamp during the winter just to charge the battery.the battery charged but doesnt let it over charge.

I know there are other brands out there now and am curious and interested if you guys have used ANY of the chargers? Any opinions/recommendations?
Over the last 10 years I have had up 7 ATV's in my garage at the same time.
All, except mine, were used only when the grandkids came for a visit.
They would sit for months at a time unused.
I've used the Harbor Freight battery tenders exclusively.

Before I solarized my Scamp and slide in camper I used the HF tenders on them.

I lost one ATV battery because the tender became unplugged.

They're about $10.00.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #12

Name: j
Trailer: Currently Shopping"
Alabama
This makes me wonder, I have a Casita Liberty Delux 06 model which when plugged in to 110 v charges the battery automatic and I will have to do more research to see if it won't overcharge. I am guessing that yours may not have that feature. I haven't looked into other brands or models.
bubblelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:35 PM   #13

Smile Battery Minder/Tender

Thanks all for your imput!! Was all set to go to Wal Mart.. then saw the link to purchase for $19.99, then the comment re Harbor Freight!! I will check with all!! Thank you SO MUCH!!
Old 12-27-2014, 10:45 PM   #14

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I've used the Yuasa YUA1200901 Smart Shot Battery Charger for quite a while now and really like it for a maintenance charger.
Read the Reviews and see what you think
Amazon.com: Yuasa YUA1200901 Smart Shot Battery Charger: Automotive

I now park in an area without shore power and had to switch over to a solar maintenance charger and in the month i have been using it and minimal afternoon sun my battery is at an acceptable 13.1 volts
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblelover View Post
This makes me wonder, I have a Casita Liberty Delux 06 model which when plugged in to 110 v charges the battery automatic and I will have to do more research to see if it won't overcharge. I am guessing that yours may not have that feature. I haven't looked into other brands or models.
I am very familiar with Casita's..... If it's the stock converter it will overcharge but all you need to do is plug it in once a month for 24 hours and you will be fine.
Make sure your water level is up to par and did not boil it out from leaving it plugged in
Old 12-29-2014, 01:36 AM   #16

Wow! Thanks for link & all, Joe! I now have so much info not sure what to do, but sure appreciate everyone's input! Think I'll try looking locally, say @ Harbor Freight or WalMart before I order! Use to use a battery charger that had a Trickle Charge! Did I luck out in using it?? I use a Solar Charger when camping! Are all the mentioned Battery Minder, Tender,etc considered Float Chargers or is that something different??
Old 12-29-2014, 09:40 AM   #17

"Bubblelover".... I have the Progressive Dynamics converter in my '10 Scamp. Available for that converter is what they call a "Charge Wizard". It did not come with one. I've often thought about purchasing one that mounts with the converter and you'll never have to worry about your battery overcharging with the RV plugged in. It's basically a smart charger designed/built for the PD converters. But at $35 + Shipping, I'd rather purchase one (Tender/Minder) that I can use elsewhere and not just proprietary to the Scamp.

SO, if yours has an "automatic" charger that "monitors" the charge then reduces to a "float" mode, you're good to go. If not? Your battery is in danger. From what you describe, it sounds like you have it. I'd be interested in knowing if you check on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblelover View Post
Old 12-29-2014, 10:51 AM   #18

Karen... a "trickle" charge is constant and will always be "on" to the battery. While it technically may not hurt the battery, the better chargers have a "float" state. This shuts the charger off and to me, let's the battery rest. Then when the voltage drops to apx 13+ volts, it will kick on again to keep the battery topped out and help prevent the damaging "sulfation" that happens when batteries are at a low discharge state.

One opinion on Harbor Freight. I use alot of HF items....some are good some are not. One thing to weigh in on on the chargers...you're going to be leaving these on extensively. To me, I wouldnt be comfortable with some of the experiences I've had with other HF items- electrical AND mechanical. (I own their previous Lathe/Mill combo). Here's the clincher: Look at the warranty.

HF = 90 days.

Battery Tender = 10 yrs. on the BT + (5 yrs on most models)
Battery Tender® Plus

Battery Minder = 5 yrs

Food for thought....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen L. View Post
Wow! Thanks for link & all, Joe! I now have so much info not sure what to do, but sure appreciate everyone's input! Think I'll try looking locally, say @ Harbor Freight or WalMart before I order! Use to use a battery charger that had a Trickle Charge! Did I luck out in using it?? I use a Solar Charger when camping! Are all the mentioned Battery Minder, Tender,etc considered Float Chargers or is that something different??
Old 12-29-2014, 01:59 PM   #19

Talking

One last question... Should the battery be taken out & stored inside, or is it O.K to leave it on the trailer with the minder/tender in place?? Thank you for all your help! I had always wondered what a "float charger" was, now I think I know!! Silly me, I'd thought it had to do with boats!!! Had visions of it floating on the water next to a boat!!! (I do know my battery is a Marine/RV battery!)
Old 12-29-2014, 02:17 PM   #20

You can leave it in the trailer connected or take it out..... being on a float charger it will be fine. If no charger better to store inside in winter storage

Tags
battery