Battery thoughts/help! - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-16-2015, 06:51 AM   #71

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1999 Casita 17' SD
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

[snip]
As a precaution I often use the unused center pin as a redundant ground at both the TV and trailer side.
Bob

Both my factory stock 2007 Silverado and 1999 Casita use that "unused center pin" for the backup lights

If I or another were to use it for ground I'm afraid the blue smoke would come out somewhere

Joe

Old 10-16-2015, 07:20 AM   #72

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The backup lights on the center pis is pretty much the defacto standard now.
I wired my trailer and added backup light to aid in parking at night.
This is where the Euro standard 13 pin might address this problem with three separate grounds and the left side etc are grounded separately so that the likelihood of losing all lights and brakes (in N.A.) is lessened.
However the NA 7 pin plug/socket is a little more robust having looked at both side by side.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:26 AM   #73

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Here's the actual pin-out on the plug of my 2010 Scamp. I agree. It appears that the center pin standard is pretty much the "backup" lights.
Attached Thumbnails
RV 7-pin Power Cord Trailer End.jpg  
Old 10-16-2015, 08:44 AM   #74

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
Bob

Both my factory stock 2007 Silverado and 1999 Casita use that "unused center pin" for the backup lights

If I or another were to use it for ground I'm afraid the blue smoke would come out somewhere

Joe
I made the decision that having a good ground for lights, battery charging and (someday) brakes, was important 100% of the time, and the need for back-up lights was less than .1% of the time, and took the back-up light lead off of the plug. I then made that pin a redundant ground on the TV side and in the trailers harness.

My back-up light is the LED porch light on the back of my, rear entrance, Hunter, but anyone could simply add another porch light back there for the rare occasions it is needed.

And, if I plug another trailers 7 blade plug in that has back up lights connected, no problem, they just won't work. In the world of electrical common sense, it seems a little odd that the big pin in the middle is used for the smallest load and not for the ground, so I changed that and have two grounds.

And, if for some far fetched reason, my trailer should get connected to another TV, all it will do is blow the b/u light fuse in the TV, no smoke, no mirrors. And, I believe your 2007 Silverado has 4 separate fuses for the trailers lights, 1 for brakes and a 50 amp guy for the charging line, all courtesy of GM. (Small plug for GM's)

Forgot to mention, my Hunter didn't have back-up lights anyway so to moi, it was an unused pin.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:08 AM   #75

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Here's the actual pin-out on the plug of my 2010 Scamp. I agree. It appears that the center pin standard is pretty much the "backup" lights.
The center pin on old Scamps such as my 1992 is actually the blue line. That was the standard that Scamp used for many years.

There are actually 3 Standard ways for 7 pin trailers to be wired.
Attached Thumbnails
faq043-trailer7waydia-ver2_2_800.jpg  
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:20 AM   #76

California
I don't think that there are any states or provinces that require back-up lights....

On mine the center pin was "Unused" because I didn't connect the TV's back-up light wire to it during installation and the trailer never had back-up lights.

I really don't see any real arguments against improving the ground circuit in this manner.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:03 PM   #77

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
There is one additional ground between the TV and Egg and that is the Ball and Hitch although sometimes that is intermittent.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:48 PM   #78

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
There is one additional ground between the TV and Egg and that is the Ball and Hitch although sometimes that is intermittent.
Very intermittent if your hitch is properly lubricated to prevent metal to metal contact, and a resistance connection if you are trying to charge a battery. A hapenstance ground path.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:59 PM   #79

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Very intermittent if your hitch is properly lubricated to prevent metal to metal contact, and a resistance connection if you are trying to charge a battery. A hapenstance ground path.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Yea... I though the guy in front of me was trying to send me a message in Morse Code using his trailer's tail lights, so I watched the dimly lit dots and dashes intently, and recalling my ham radio experience, was able to decipher the message he was sending...
It read, ""I have lost my ground wire connection to the trailer"

Tags
battery