Blowing fuses and receptacle question.. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #15

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Get a roll of 3M #35 marking tape RED and 3m #33+ BLACK and mark the positive and negative conductors . It will end a lot of the confusion and possibly save some of your equipment . I did this to my Scamp not just for me but for the next owner as well

Old 05-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #16

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Get a roll of 3M #35 marking tape RED and 3m #33+ BLACK and mark the positive and negative conductors . It will end a lot of the confusion and possibly save some of your equipment . I did this to my Scamp not just for me but for the next owner as well
Right. The color coding in the RV world is nutz.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #17

Name: Michael
Trailer: 17ft Bigfoot trailer
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Good idea. Thanks.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #18

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebamboo View Post
Hi @Des, @Tom, @Carol, @Steve D & @Steve L

Thanks so much for the suggestions...I will check them all out. We had the harness specifically installed for the BF, so I'm thinking this would not be the issue. Also, the fuse did not blow for the first couple trips so I'm thinking, as suggested, it may be a ground issue.

Alternately, I wonder if I've hooked the battery up incorrectly after charging and reinstalling. The BF has one white wire connection and one black wire connection...my thought was that black was always negative but perhaps the white is negative. Could incorrectly hooking up the battery cause this? Again, thanks all

Michael
Jackpot... backwards connection= blown fuse. White as ground is universal in the RV world.

Lucky thing you've got that fuse, or who knows what you might have damaged inside the trailer...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #19

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
White as ground is universal in the RV world.
Yes, white is nearly universally negative. Just as close to universal is a lack of labelling and documentation of wiring; close behind that is the refusal of people working on them to look at whatever documentation exists. All of this leads to assumptions, which are bad. If you don't know what a wire is for, based on reliable documentation of the specific trailer or physically following it to see what it connects to, I suggest not guessing.

I shouldn't be surprised by the reverse battery hookup since I got partway through doing this myself, but in hindsight it really doesn't make sense. Sure, we may expect black to be negative, but the other wire is white - not red - so shouldn't we realize that what we expect is clearly not what is happening, so we should do some investigation?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #20
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
For what it's worth, when the trailer battery connection is reversed, the two battery voltages now add and the resultant current is limited only by the wire resistance of the charge line. No delay on those fuses opening. Raz