blowing fuses, exterior lights not working! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #15
Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1978 13' Scamp
OMG-- Mazda installed a flat 4 to which my RV mechanic converted to a 7-pin. But the standard hook-up kit that plugs into the lights of the Mazda is an original 7 wire!! So now my set up goes: 7 -pin down to 4-pin back to 7-pin. I really am going to shoot myself, or someone else maybe...

I am going to have to assume that because the transition boxes/plugs are standard issue, they've been connected correctly, and I am going to stick with the color codes on the 7-pin as designated on this forum: 7 Way Trailer End Connector question ???

morbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #16
Someone please help!!
We rewired the Scamp, hooked up green, white, black, red, (not using yellow or blue), and tested it. It worked! We took it for a test run, but realized I had made the length (from Scamp to plug) a little too short, so I had to cut the wires, and reattach more wire length. Now I've plugged it in twice, turned on the car, and have blown fuses both times. they are 15amp fuses where the hitch connected to the rear cigarette lighter (already checked and it's ok to do that).

So, did I make a bad connection? Which wires would be most likely to cause fuses to blow? I checked the colors of wires and they are all connected correctly....

Old 06-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #17
Trailer: Trillium
how did you re-attach the wires? if you crimped them together,(with the wrong type of crimper) you could have caused a bare piece of metal to come through the crimp, and it could short out on another wire, or it could ground out, alternately it could be a stray wire sticking out and grounding against chassis
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #18
Ok....well I still need help! We checked all the connections, and I did find a loose wire. After that, everything lit up fine. We went for a test drive and the camper stayed lit the whole drive. Then we turned off the car. When we started it again, the fuse was blown! We changed the fuse, and it started right up again. So this time when before we stopped the car, we pulled out the plug. Turned off the car. Then plugged it back in and the fuse was blown!

Does anyone know why the fuse blows when the power is disconnected??? Thank you!!!
Old 06-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #19
Name: chris
Trailer: 1976 13' trillium
British Columbia
I don't know if this will help but I had a similar problem with my '76 trillium and after checking everything it turned out to be a faulty bulb that was shorting out and causing my fuse to blow. I got confused because that bulb wouldn't blow and would light up again when a new fuse was put in. I undid all the bulbs, turned the power on and started screwing in a bulb one by one to find the culprit. Oh my god what a relief to find that out and such a simple solution after so much stress. Not sure if this will help but maybe worth a try???

chris loewen is offline   Reply With Quote