Bolting solar panel brackets to roof - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-21-2015, 12:40 AM   #15
Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
Originally Posted by ajdemo76 View Post
Today I found 12" square rubber sheets about 1/8" thick from the hardware store. We may have to double up but I think this should work.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Andy, before you do anything, pull up 3M's website and watch the videos on what VHB tape is used on in the world and how it's eye opening. Jet body panels at xxx panels at 65mph, easy.
A few members have given you real world and 1000's of miles experience that VHB installation/use works well for solar panels. I'd take the rubber sheets back or put them in the garage for some other use. Just my 2 cents worth and as someone else here always says....worth every penny

Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:02 AM   #16
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
A couple of thoughts.....

- Both VHB tape and epoxy have been used to hold panels. There have been some failures reported. I'm concerned about the bond between the gel coat and the fiberglass. Drill a hole in the shell and notice how the gel coat separates.

- if I used bolts and a sealant (butyl, rubber, etc.) I would double nut the bolts with a lock washer between so things don't come loose.

- with a permanent install the trailer may out live the solar panel and at some point the panel will have to be removed. Not your problem perhaps but you do risk being the subject of a future post.

Good luck and don't forget, we like pictures. Raz

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:10 AM   #17
Name: Andy
Trailer: Trillium
Thanks for all of the input! We've got a week to sort this out but I'm researching all options mentioned. As far as pictures go, I started a thread on here yesterday that I'll post all project photos to. Ready to do this!

ajdemo76 is offline   Reply With Quote

solar, solar panel