Brake Wiring Issue - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2017, 01:15 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp 13 Std.
Minnesota
Brake Wiring Issue

I have a Tekonsha Primus IQ brake controller connected to my one month old Scamp. When I set the power level on the controller I can't get lower than a 6.0. or so. The trailer brakes seem to work both manually from the controller and if I set the power value higher than 6, say 7.5 or so.

I called Tekonsha and they had me me look at the brake controller display both when it was hooked up to the trailer and when it was not. Tekonsha says that I have a "slight" short in my trailer-side brake circuitry that could be anywhere from the plug-in all the way back through the trailer. They also indicated, because of what the display was saying, that it wasn't on my tow-vehicle side or with the controller itself.

So I'm wondering where to look first for the short. While poking around and checking everything, I also notice that my back-up lights on the trailer are not working. Could that be connected to the brake-wiring short issue?

All other exterior and interior trailer lights work, including the brake lights.

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Bill
Bill MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:20 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
If you haven't already, verify that the 7 wires from your tow vehicle are correctly wired into the 7 blade connector to match the 7 wires on the Scamp side of the connector. On the Scamp side the position and color of each wire is shown in post #8 of the following thread:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-57709.html
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:57 PM   #3

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp 13 Std.
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
If you haven't already, verify that the 7 wires from your tow vehicle are correctly wired into the 7 blade connector to match the 7 wires on the Scamp side of the connector. On the Scamp side the position and color of each wire is shown in post #8 of the following thread:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-57709.html
I do believe it is wired correctly, but thanks for this suggestion. I've found out additional info and what looks to be a fix, at least I hope so.

I took it to the installer of the brake controller and he checked it out with an emulator and concurred that it wasn't working properly. He then put a new one on, right out of the box, and it worked properly with the emulator. I came home, hooked it up to the trailer and it works properly there, too. So unless there is a short somewhere in the wiring, it looks like it was the brake-controller all the time. If it is a short in the trailer circuitry, this new controller will probably fail, too.

The person who installed the vehicle-side seven-pin connector did not hook-up to the back-up lights. He said that few travel trailers have them anymore and that it was more expensive to do, so they don't do it unless requested. I didn't specifically request, because I just assumed it would be done. Guess it isn't much of an issue since I wouldn't be backing up the trailer very far and would never do it without looking first behind the trailer and also to have my wife outside looking and directing anyway.

Bill
Bill MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:03 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
That's great news that you've resolved the problem. Next the road testing...
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:46 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill MN View Post

The person who installed the vehicle-side seven-pin connector did not hook-up to the back-up lights. He said that few travel trailers have them anymore and that it was more expensive to do, so they don't do it unless requested. I didn't specifically request, because I just assumed it would be done.
Bill
Interesting. I had the same experience with Toyota. Took my new vehicle in to have them wire it for the brake controller and a 7-pin connector assuming that I would get all 7 pins wired. Got it back and the emulator indicated that the back-up light circuit didn't work. They gave me the same answer - "oh, we never do the back-up circuit. Never heard of anyone wanting it". To their credit when I said I did want it, they ran the additional wire without charge.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:04 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Sounds like both of you had "let's get it done and outta here" installers

I bought and installed the factory wiring harness for my 2006 Jeep Liberty back when it was new and it included backup lights.

My 2007 Silverado came with a factory installed 7 pin connector and it also has backup lights.

Might be just me but I don't like anyone touching my vehicles because things are seldom done to my sanctification.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp