Broken lock on Casita battery cover!? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2014, 09:11 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Broken lock on Casita battery cover!?

I just bought a 2010 17' Casita Spirit deluxe. As the previous owner was showing me the workings of the trailer he accidentally broke off the key in the lock on the battery cover. After talking with Casita I was able to eventually get the broken part out of the lock. It was recessed and took a lot of WD 40, screw drivers and needle nose piers. The lock will still not open with another key. No surprise. I need to get the old lock out somehow so I can replace it. Casita thinks the hole behind the vent cover is too small to get my hand in if I drill the rivets out. The only thing I can think of is to drill right through the lock, but still not sure that will release it. I'm stumped. Surely this has happened to others. Any ideas would be appreciated.
amyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:54 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Is the problem getting the lock unlocked? With the broken piece in the lock could you turn it with a screw driver. Otherwise it's probably going to be drill it out.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #3

Registry
Yes, the door is locked closed so I can not access the battery. Per Casitas instructions, I did try to turn the lock with a screwdriver. That wouldn't open the door either. After that, I finally was able to get the broken part of the key out of the lock to try the extra key in it. Still won't turn. When you say a 'drill out' do you mean putting a small drill bit into where the key goes? Then maybe switching to a bigger bit? Do you think that will release/break the lock so I can open the door? Then I could replace the lock. Wouldn't t that be nice!
Old 02-23-2014, 10:30 AM   #4

New York
Yes, try drilling out the center if what ever holds the lock in place can't be accessed to drill or grind off. Or grind off the face of the lock but don't get it too hot or it could damage the fiberglass. Car thieves use a slide hammer puller that has a screw to go into where the key goes, and then pop the cylinder out. Sounds like the lock is rusted or stuck. maybe before getting too drastic, keep lubing it and wiggling the good key. A little in and out motion too. Could there be pressure on the door making the lock stick, try pushing on that. Sorry, I'm not familiar with what Casita uses or how it is set up so these are just general suggestions. The cylinder part, where the key goes may be held in with a snap ring near the outside, but you won't be able to see it. If you can get that key cylinder out by drill or force, you then may be able to turn the internal part with a screw driver.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #5

Registry
Thanks for the tips. I'll keep woking on it.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #6

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Could you post a picture of lock.
Have you check the hinges, may be able to open by punching out the hinge pin?
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:14 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Take the broken key to a GOOD locksmith. I'll bet they can piece it together to cut you a new key. Otherwise, they should be able to make a key by coming to the trailer or having you bring it to them to avoid the house call. Spending $50 to $100 is a lot better than destroying the current lock.

2009 Casita FD - Sold
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:39 PM   #8

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
Take the broken key to a GOOD locksmith. I'll bet they can piece it together to cut you a new key. Otherwise, they should be able to make a key by coming to the trailer or having you bring it to them to avoid the house call. Spending $50 to $100 is a lot better than destroying the current lock.

2009 Casita FD - Sold
Post #3 says there is an extra key. Question is; is it for that lock or another lock on the trailer that may use a different key.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #9

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Assuming there's no obstruction still inside the lock:

Any good sized RV dealer will have a set of master keys that will open any RV lock on Planet Earth.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:55 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi Amy, I just went out and looked at my battery door on my '06 SD. The cam lock on mine is held in place with a nut not a fork holding clip. I think your best bet is just drilling out the eight rivits and pull the door off to get at the lock. To me, by trying to drill out the lock itself it would be to easy to damage or break the door.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:56 PM   #11

Registry
I finally was able to get the door off by taking the hinge out! My husband tried it earlier with no success, but thanks to Ron's earlier suggestion, I tried that route again. With help from lots of WD40 I was able to tease it out. Yes, I did have an extra key for the lock, but I had several more made before I tried that route. Now I see that no key would have opened that lock. Frozen/corroded. Hoping I'll be able to get the lock off the door. I'll either order a new lock from Casita or take the door, lock and all, to a RV dealer. Thanks for all the great suggestions.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:11 PM   #12

Registry
Dave, I just saw your post. You are right about the nut on the back of the lock. Drilling may have caused a problem. Glad I was able to get the door off with the hinge. I'll see when I go to put it back together if that was the correct route to go. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:37 PM   #13

New York
New lock should be available from several sources. I was doing a search and found some on fiberglasstraveltrailersrv.com for around $6. Not sure what yours looks like, but check it out.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:00 PM   #14

Registry
Bob, that likes like a great site. I'll check it out and put it in my bookmarks. I appreciate it.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:05 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
CH751 is the common key/lock # for compartment doors on RV's. As on my Casita 16 one key fits them all. Most RV places sell the CH751 key and locks. Lowes, HD and most hardware stores carry replacement locksets for about the prices quoted but the keys will not be interchangeable with your other CH751 locks.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:44 AM   #16

Registry
Yes, Eddie, you are right about the number on the lock. It's good to know that the lock and set are sold in a lot of local places. I was going to check with Casita first to make sure I can't get a new one keyed to the rest of my other locks. Probably not, but worth a try. The saga continues...

Tags
battery, casita