Trailer: Helite
Park Service Noise Levels:

http://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/pdfimage/92231301.pdf

Old 03-26-2014, 12:47 PM   #30

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
depends on the park, and the rangers.... so far have had no complaints in the 2 state parks i camp at frequently.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:49 PM   #31

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Just read the stats on the other generators and you will find many of them meet the National Campground requirements concerning DB (noise).
According to the link in Arts Post #29. the limit for National Park Campgrounds appears to be 60dB. The Honda EU2000E appears to have a full load noise level at 59dB, barely below that number.

I say appears because neither of those figures are sourced as being measured at exactly the same distance and conditions etc.

BUT: I don't think that I have ever heard a 2000 watt generator that was quieter than the Honda EU2000i and, in being good campground company, quiet is #1 in priority, a word that a lot of less considerate campers are unware exists as they run their 5000 wall contractors site generators to charge batteries and watch their 60" TV in the woods.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:28 PM   #32

Name: Art
Trailer: Helite
Generator specifications are printed in their manuals and on the box. Just make sure it meets the park specs and you will Be ok.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:35 PM   #33

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
According to the link in Arts Post #29. the limit for National Park Campgrounds appears to be 60dB. The Honda EU2000E appears to have a full load noise level at 59dB, barely below that number.

I say appears because neither of those figures are sourced as being measured at exactly the same distance and conditions etc.

Been awhile since I last posted my longstanding "Honda lies!" rant, but since you bring up distance...here goes!

Honda generator noise levels are measured at a distance of twenty-five feet. The EU comes in at 59 db, others somewhat higher.
So far, so good.
Here's where the lie comes in: they continue to use "human speech is 60 db" as a comparative reference point. See one of many such references at this link They make this "comparison" repeatedly and have done so for years despite the fact that speech is measured at three feet. ( link)

Correcting for distance so that speech and genny noise can be truthfully compared: 59 db at twenty-five feet is in fact almost 80db at three feet. ( link) A very significant difference, especially since the "loudness scale" compounds as it rises. This real "compared-to-speech" noise level explains why one never sees a user placing a genny anyplace near where they might want to carry on a conversation. Most folks would find it impossible to do so while being subjected to noise levels that high

Bringing human speech into the comparison at all is nothing but a cleverly deceptive and very effective marketing ploy, aka a lie.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:57 PM   #34
SRD

Name: s
Trailer: none
us
I bought 3 Honda generators over the years and each time I had to put some effort into finding the best price. The first one was purchased at a small commercial generator service center that just picked up the Honda consumer generator line. They were eager to make their first sales and offered me a great price. The second one was purchased at White Cap Construction Supply. Again, they offered a good price for a limited time. The last one I purchased was at Camping World. Honda and Camping World had a promotion going on at the time and I was able to combine the two for a great price. I also asked the store manager for an additional discount and he gave it to me. So, my advice is to do your homework and don't be afraid to ask for a discount, match a price offered elsewhere, etc. - anything to get the best price. BTW, I don't think you can go wrong with the Honda.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:27 PM   #35

California
RE: Honda Rant:
Yet I guess we should never buy anything that the manufacturer didn't adhere to absolute "Truth in advertising". Just think of all the money we would save by not buying anything or going anywhere.... LOL

I have stood within a few feet of my own Honda EU2000 and carried on a discussion without difficulty. But when I used it, I usually tried to place it as far as possible from anyone, just to be a good camper.

Regardless of advertising twists, Honda still rules the portable generator field and, should I need another one, that will again be my choice.

"The bitter taste of lesser quality lingers on, long after the sweetness of a low price is gone." -Someone-
Old 03-26-2014, 07:32 PM   #36

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
I bought a Honda 2000I from Weiss Sales. We don't use it very much. But take it on long trips with us just incase. Our solar charge system keeps everything charged.
Chuck
Old 03-26-2014, 08:59 PM   #37

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

"The bitter taste of lesser quality lingers on, long after the sweetness of a low price is gone." -Someone-
Oh, please- "quality"? As if that's a marketing parameter these days. I suggest that a more relevant quotation per what folks will swallow is the following:

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."

Not just "someone", but our very own Mark Twain made that observation a very long time ago. A comment on the gullibility of The American Public, still just as true as it was in 1895. As witness the perception that Honda generators somehow represent that Lofty Ideal.

Congratulations, Honda North America!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:34 PM   #38

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Francesca,
Why have you chosen to rant against Honda? They have the reputation they have for the products they manufacture, not because of some claim in some ad.
You seem to be taking it personally.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:39 PM   #39

British Columbia
And, besides lies, there is attribution that may be incorrect?

From Wiki:
Mark Twain popularized the saying in "Chapters from My Autobiography", published in the North American Review in 1906. "Figures often beguile me," he wrote, "particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: 'There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.'"[1]
Alternative attributions include, among many others (for example Walter Bagehot and Arthur James Balfour) the radical English journalist and politician Henry Du Pré Labouchère (1831–1912), and British politician and man of letters Leonard H. Courtney, who used the phrase in 1895 and two years later became president of the Royal Statistical Society.[2] Courtney referred to a future statesman, not a past one.[3]
The earliest instance of the phrase found in print dates to a letter written in the British newspaper National Observer on June 8, 1891, published June 13, 1891, p. 93(-94): NATIONAL PENSIONS [To the Editor of The National Observer] London, 8 June 1891 "Sir,--It has been wittily remarked that there are three kinds of falsehood: the first is a 'fib,' the second is a downright lie, and the third and most aggravated is statistics. It is on statistics and on the absence of statistics that the advocate of national pensions relies....." Later, in October 1891, as a query in Notes and Queries, the pseudonymous questioner, signing as "St Swithin", asked for the originator of the phrase, indicating common usage even at that date.[3] The pseudonym has been attributed to Eliza Gutch.[4]
Old 03-26-2014, 09:41 PM   #40

British Columbia
I'm sitting in a motel room with nothing better to do.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:59 PM   #41

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
I guess I am the gullible type. I have owned or still own:

1 Civic
4 Accords
2 Odysseys
2 lawn mowers
1 snow blower
1 dirt bike
2 atvs 300 4x4's
Bf135 & BF8 boat motors
1 8hp horz shaft motor

That makes 16 I can remember and still own 9 of these. Never had a major problem with any of them. High quality and good value products for the money. Almost too easy to sell when I was done with and regret selling any of them. I am still young and will likely double these numbers starting with a generator. I think I am forgetting a few, memory is getting bad.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:07 PM   #42

California
My 1st Honda generator was an almost 10 y.o. old style 400 watt "Suitcase" generator. I paid $175 for in Quartzsite, it ran perfect for 2 years and I sold it in 2 days on Craigs list for $150. easy peasy because it was a Honda.....

Tags
generator