ceiling fans, and batteries - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-24-2007, 02:27 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
The battery drain is posted on their site. They don't draw much. What I do is set it to blow out the vent, sucking the high hot air (or cooking fumes) out first. The trick, esp at night, is to CLOSE most of the windows, letting the fan pull in air from the window over the bed or where you are sitting. If all the windows are open, the air won't seem to be moving as much.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:33 PM   #16

Trailer: 1970 Boler
thanks I am looking into a cheaper version...so we'll see. I like the princess auto idea

Old 06-24-2007, 05:48 PM   #17

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Quote:
"So do these Fantastic Fans and other draw much power from the 12 volt battery or is this something you could run for most the day?"
- kurt

I dont think you can go wrong with a fantastic fan.I have had two of them and they are great.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:16 AM   #18

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
...So do these Fantastic Fans and other draw much power from the 12 volt battery or is this something you could run for most the day?
I checked the power consumption of my MaxxFan (comparable to a Fantastic Vent fan, at least in fan motor power) a while ago, and while I can't remember the exact reading, I did notice that it seemed consistent with the specification. I run it on the thermostatic setting, and running much of the time overnight does not exhaust my little Group 24 battery. I almost always use it on low, since more air flow has not been required. Note that we have not been camping in really hot conditions.

Quote:
Originally posted by MaxxAir
[b]Provides over 900 CFM of airflow on High using 4.4 amps, 730 CFM at 2.5 amps and 500 CFM on Low at 1.4 amps
Quote:
Oh and what direction do you want the air...to blow out of the roof vent or to blow air in?
I normally run mine blowing out, to exhaust hot air, but someone (Roger?) posted a great idea: run it blowing in to encourage air flow out the kitchen vent when cooking. I tried that and it seems to work.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:04 PM   #19

Old 06-26-2007, 12:22 PM   #20

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
I just put a fantastic fan in a trailer and the specs say it draws 3 amps. I think the muffin fans draw less than 1 amp so you could mount 3 of them to equate for battery draw however I doubt they would equal the air volume of the fantastic fan.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:00 PM   #21

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
I agree that the Fantastic (or MaxxAir, or ShurFlo...) products with large-diameter fans are likely to be much more efficient than the little "muffin" fans. The big ones will also be quieter, for the same airflow. I think the little ones are good when you can find them cheap, and you only need a little airflow, such as to ventilate a cabinet for a refrigerator.

According to the brochure for the Fantastic Vent fans, 3 A is at maximum speed (920 CFM), with the lowest speed drawing only 1.86 amps. Although they're pricey, I went for the big unit (a MaxxFan), and would do so again.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:28 AM   #22

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
Quote:
I agree that the Fantastic (or MaxxAir, or ShurFlo...) products with large-diameter fans are likely to be much more efficient than the little "muffin" fans. The big ones will also be quieter, for the same airflow. I think the little ones are good when you can find them cheap, and you only need a little airflow, such as to ventilate a cabinet for a refrigerator.

According to the brochure for the Fantastic Vent fans, 3 A is at maximum speed (920 CFM), with the lowest speed drawing only 1.86 amps. Although they're pricey, I went for the big unit (a MaxxFan), and would do so again.
Yes the fans are expensive however I ordered mine with an insulated hood from the US and had it delivered for Can$300. The price at RV dealers in Calgary is around Can$425 without the insulated hood.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:41 PM   #23

Trailer: 2004 Casita Freedom Deluxe
With all the good reports about Fantastic Fans,I decided to buy one. Here in the north country I feel we are getting ripped off. The model 5000 are $279-$355 plus tax locally,I purchased one in Portland, Or. for $151 usd.no local tax and no duty.Even with the exchange thats a large spread.Haven't installed it yet but looking forward to using it.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:41 PM   #24

Name: Rusty
Trailer: 84 Burro 13 ft
Washington
As a temporary fix I picked up a 6" fan from Wallyworld for less than $10. It's called an O2 Cool. It runs on AC, or DC, or with built in rechargable batteries or D cell batteries. I replaced one of the vent screws with a hook, then used two cable ties attached to the fan, then put one tie on the hook and the other over the crank handle. It is easy to reverse. It has not been that hot here in the PNW but this has worked so well that I kind of forget that it's temporary. It's kind of a quick fix but will work until I figure out what I'm going to do and then I can still use the fan in a window or on the picnic table or whatever.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:10 PM   #25

Bought one on Ebay for $71 and will install it shortly
Old 07-26-2007, 07:57 PM   #26

Trailer: 73 Boler
The best success i have had with the fantastic fan is to have the fan drawing air out of the boler and having the windows opened a crack. It draws a cool breeze over your shoulders while sitting at the table. If you are at the bunk end i have the fan blowing air in.