Cell Signal Boosters? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2017, 03:02 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1999 Casita Spirit Deluxe
South Carolina
Registry
Cell Signal Boosters?

Hi!

My wife has a conference this summer in North Carolina and I'm thinking about taking the Casita and working from "camp"! I need a strong cell signal so I can run internet and work through our company network/vpn.

I have heard that people use cell phone signal boosters to help with this, but there seems to be a wide variety of types and prices...

Does anyone use signal boosters to faciliate remote work... and if so what kinds of experiences/recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

TomG
GerthT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:13 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
tom,

i use a wilson cell booster. it's an external antenna that mounts atop a 10' painter's pole mounted in a flag pole holder in the rear bumper. my antenna is older and i think they've been upgraded since i purchased mine. i do think they make a good product. google will take you to their website.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:55 AM   #3

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I also have a Wilson. It works great. Mine is just a "cradle" style, and that cradle can be mounted on a car dash, somewhere in the camper, or left free to move around where you need it. So it doesn't broadcast a signal through the room; the phone has to be in the cradle to get boosted. It needs to be plugged into a usb port, and is connected to the antenna by a wire. It just has a maybe 6 inch tall, magnetic antenna. Which doesn't stick so well to fiberglass.

But I honestly just put mine on a counter by a window, and it works fine. It won't make a signal out of nothing, but if there is a weak or moderate signal, it will help a lot. It probably gives me 2-3 more bars than I'd have without it.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:35 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Right now I'm in the Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada. Without a booster, my Verizon Jetpack gets 1X service, which doesn't do data. I have a WirEng Boat Antenna mounted on the trailer & a Wilson Sleek (now called WeBoost by Wilson) cradle amplifier inside. With the Jetpack in the cradle, I get 3 bars of 4G LTE service.

I've found the amplifier makes a difference as long as there is some signal available.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:04 PM   #5

Name: Hal
Trailer: 2012 13’ Scamp - a new 2019 next spring !
Oregon
Wilson 4G - IT WORKS !
macnmore is offline   Reply With Quote