Charger/Converter Settings & Voltmeter/Battery Health Question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-20-2015, 05:50 PM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
From the looks of it I suspect that your SCAMP never had any kind of converter or fuse panel (they were optional in the earlier years) But running a water hose with a fitting on it right across in front of the breaker box isn't to safe and, if those wires with the yellow splaice nuts are 120 VAC lines, they are illegal for not being in at least a work box of some sort.

Here's a link to the PD-4045 Mini power chassis. It will take care of all of your A/C distribution and breakers, your DC needs with fuses, and provide a smart battery charger with built in charge wizard.
Mighty Mini Compact AC/DC Power Distribution Panel

But be sure that the is a good fire extinguisher on hand at all times.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:21 AM   #16

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 Layout 7
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
From the looks of it I suspect that your SCAMP never had any kind of converter or fuse panel (they were optional in the earlier years) But running a water hose with a fitting on it right across in front of the breaker box isn't to safe and, if those wires with the yellow splaice nuts are 120 VAC lines, they are illegal for not being in at least a work box of some sort.

Here's a link to the PD-4045 Mini power chassis. It will take care of all of your A/C distribution and breakers, your DC needs with fuses, and provide a smart battery charger with built in charge wizard.
Mighty Mini Compact AC/DC Power Distribution Panel

But be sure that the is a good fire extinguisher on hand at all times.
Totally hijacking this discussion, so my apologies in advance But our 1982 Scamp doesn't have a converter or battery charger installed. I think at one point someone told me it would have come that way. It's wired for Solar - done by a PO- but we've decided to take it in this spring and have a converter and battery minder installed as well as have all the wiring simplified. There is a LOT of wiring going on in 13 feet of space! Would this recommendation be something I could print off and take to our service guy and have him install? Thank you! (and sorry to sneak in on the original post!)

Old 01-12-2016, 09:30 AM   #17

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
As bad as I hate to agree with Bob the PD4045 is a very good unit and mased providing protected circuits easy.
I wired the wire outputs to a terminal strip and made a wiring diagram to keep track ot what goes where.
With the PD4045 you can pretty easily provide separate circuits to each major units and minor ones as well so that a problem with one won't kill more stuff.
My result shown below does not have the final lead dress, but you get the idea.

I also ran a separate ground from the ground buss on the new steel wheel well to each consumer since the ground return is just as likely to have a problem as the + lead

Tags
battery