I love this idea! I'm doing it!
Ok, so maybe not. But it's still funny!

Old 11-25-2015, 02:25 PM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger H View Post
Usually, Bob... in a Scamp, the emergency escape is an oversized roof vent just above the dinette. I believe that the RV code requires all RVs to have a second means of egress; especially as late as '02. I know that all four Scamps I've owned from year models 2000 to 2006 13, two 16s and a 19' all had them, and IIRC, they all leaked at the screws around the flange as the silicone deteriorated on them. I don't remember if the '76 Scamp I bought in 1980 had the large roof vent though... that was a long time ago.
That's pretty much an open issue. Our 13' Scamp had a 14" square opening into which I fitted a Fantastic Fan. Same thing on our older 13' Lil Bigfoot.

In current pics, on the Scamp website they only show the 14" square opening over the dinette in both the 13' and the 16'.

In the FG Mini motorhomes I have done a lot of work on, the over-bed escape hatch seemed to have disappeared in the mod to late 80's. My 1989 Sunrader Adventure (a rare pop-up version) had a kick-out back window with bright red latches.

I guess we will have to see what the state of KY wants. But I know it's getting hard to find replacement covers for them in certain sizes.

Old 11-25-2015, 03:05 PM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
My 1986 Scamp 13 has the factory escape hatch overhead by the dining table. Its like 14" X 22" I doubt I could pull myself up through there. Maybe the roof sags down when you put your weight on it. In an emergency I am going out the rear slider window.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:10 PM   #18

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger H View Post
Usually, Bob... in a Scamp, the emergency escape is an oversized roof vent just above the dinette. I believe that the RV code requires all RVs to have a second means of egress; especially as late as '02. I know that all four Scamps I've owned from year models 2000 to 2006 13, two 16s and a 19' all had them, and IIRC, they all leaked at the screws around the flange as the silicone deteriorated on them. I don't remember if the '76 Scamp I bought in 1980 had the large roof vent though... that was a long time ago.
My Scamp doesn't have a roof escape hatch. It does have a rear window which opens enough to "escape" in case you forget where the door is.
Sarcasm in red...
I'm sure that inspection would save a lot of lives since most people are either malicious or incompetent with a callous disregard for safety, and of course a 13ft fiberglass trailer would be the weapon of choice if you wanted to be a public menace!
Old 11-25-2015, 03:15 PM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
It doesn't seem to make any sense to put in alternative exit so far up that it can't be used in a matter of seconds by an average person. Besides that, once you get on the roof what are you supposed to do, fall off and break a minor body part, like the neck, skull, back, or just wait for the roof to melt from the fire? Even if I had such a hatch I'd opt for the window.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:22 PM   #20

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
It doesn't seem to make any sense to put in alternative exit so far up that it can't be used in a matter of seconds by an average person. Besides that, once you get on the roof what are you supposed to do, fall off and break a minor body part, like the neck, skull, back, of just wait for the roof to melt from the fire? Even if I had such a hatch I'd opt for the window.
I guess you would need it if the camper fell over on the door!
Don't forget the inspector is always smarter than you and has your best interest at heart.

Of course you would still have the window unless it was blocked by the initial cause!
Hey! How about a fire axe mounted mid ceiling within easy reach! Then there's an exit where ever you want one!
Old 11-25-2015, 05:14 PM   #21
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

Hey! How about a fire axe mounted mid ceiling within easy reach! Then there's an exit where ever you want one!
Chainsaw would be faster.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:23 PM   #22

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
It doesn't seem to make any sense to put in alternative exit so far up that it can't be used in a matter of seconds by an average person. Besides that, once you get on the roof what are you supposed to do, fall off and break a minor body part, like the neck, skull, back, of just wait for the roof to melt from the fire? Even if I had such a hatch I'd opt for the window.
Didn't say it made sense... just said it meets the RV fire codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Chainsaw would be faster.
Then they'd be after you about whether or not it has a spark arrester... you just can't win here...
Old 11-25-2015, 05:28 PM   #23

Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
In current pics, on the Scamp website they only show the 14" square opening over the dinette in both the 13' and the 16'.
You're right on the 13. On the 16' exterior photos it looks like they have BOTH the 14" fantastic fan AND the 14x22" vent/hatch within inches of each other.

I love a mystery.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:30 PM   #24

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
They figured that since they are eggs, they would roll, and you could get out the side instead of the roof.

By now they have decided that they don't roll much and we need an exit not in the roof!

We have an emergency exit at the back on driver's side.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:27 PM   #25

Iowa
This was the '02 16' deluxe I had several years ago. I'd forgotten, but you can clearly see the 14x22 escape vent AND the fantastic fan in the ceiling.

aft sm by Roger H, on Flickr
Old 11-26-2015, 11:44 AM   #26

Name: Mike
Trailer: Uhaul
Tennessee
Kentucky also requires VIN inspection with other little notables for all "Foreign" cars and trucks entering the state for registration. By "Foreign" I mean out of state vehicles.

Kentucky also taxes motor vehicles every year with an "Ad Valorem" type of property tax every year. Not sure if this applies to travel trailers.

How about that you get taxed for the privilege of ownership!
Old 12-05-2015, 06:21 PM   #27

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
We have received our Class B inspection certificate and the inspector was very capable and helpful as he explained what he was looking for as "required" while verifying the VIN. Fire extinguisher, smoke detector, clean wiring and plumbing and functional doors/emergency exit. The marker lights I had out weren't an issue since it was simply a bulb issue and not a concern. He was supportive in correcting the registration to reflect the correct manufacture date to 1991 from 1993 as previously registered after we both consulted the Scamp web site reference for decoding the VIN.

In addition, the inspector allowed me to "hold" the certification sticker until we have completed the renovation of the outer shell and then place the sticker next to the doorway.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:46 PM   #28

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
We have received our Class B inspection certificate and the inspector was very capable and helpful as he explained what he was looking for as "required" while verifying the VIN. Fire extinguisher, smoke detector, clean wiring and plumbing and functional doors/emergency exit. The marker lights I had out weren't an issue since it was simply a bulb issue and not a concern. He was supportive in correcting the registration to reflect the correct manufacture date to 1991 from 1993 as previously registered after we both consulted the Scamp web site reference for decoding the VIN.

In addition, the inspector allowed me to "hold" the certification sticker until we have completed the renovation of the outer shell and then place the sticker next to the doorway.
Thanks for the report. What did you do about the emergency exit?