Class B inspection & certification - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2015, 05:14 PM   #21
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

Hey! How about a fire axe mounted mid ceiling within easy reach! Then there's an exit where ever you want one!
Chainsaw would be faster.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:23 PM   #22

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
It doesn't seem to make any sense to put in alternative exit so far up that it can't be used in a matter of seconds by an average person. Besides that, once you get on the roof what are you supposed to do, fall off and break a minor body part, like the neck, skull, back, of just wait for the roof to melt from the fire? Even if I had such a hatch I'd opt for the window.
Didn't say it made sense... just said it meets the RV fire codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Chainsaw would be faster.
Then they'd be after you about whether or not it has a spark arrester... you just can't win here...
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
In current pics, on the Scamp website they only show the 14" square opening over the dinette in both the 13' and the 16'.
You're right on the 13. On the 16' exterior photos it looks like they have BOTH the 14" fantastic fan AND the 14x22" vent/hatch within inches of each other.

I love a mystery.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:30 PM   #24

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
They figured that since they are eggs, they would roll, and you could get out the side instead of the roof.

By now they have decided that they don't roll much and we need an exit not in the roof!

We have an emergency exit at the back on driver's side.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:27 PM   #25

This was the '02 16' deluxe I had several years ago. I'd forgotten, but you can clearly see the 14x22 escape vent AND the fantastic fan in the ceiling.

aft sm by Roger H, on Flickr
Old 11-26-2015, 11:44 AM   #26

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Kentucky also requires VIN inspection with other little notables for all "Foreign" cars and trucks entering the state for registration. By "Foreign" I mean out of state vehicles.

Kentucky also taxes motor vehicles every year with an "Ad Valorem" type of property tax every year. Not sure if this applies to travel trailers.

How about that you get taxed for the privilege of ownership!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:21 PM   #27

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
We have received our Class B inspection certificate and the inspector was very capable and helpful as he explained what he was looking for as "required" while verifying the VIN. Fire extinguisher, smoke detector, clean wiring and plumbing and functional doors/emergency exit. The marker lights I had out weren't an issue since it was simply a bulb issue and not a concern. He was supportive in correcting the registration to reflect the correct manufacture date to 1991 from 1993 as previously registered after we both consulted the Scamp web site reference for decoding the VIN.

In addition, the inspector allowed me to "hold" the certification sticker until we have completed the renovation of the outer shell and then place the sticker next to the doorway.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:46 PM   #28

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
We have received our Class B inspection certificate and the inspector was very capable and helpful as he explained what he was looking for as "required" while verifying the VIN. Fire extinguisher, smoke detector, clean wiring and plumbing and functional doors/emergency exit. The marker lights I had out weren't an issue since it was simply a bulb issue and not a concern. He was supportive in correcting the registration to reflect the correct manufacture date to 1991 from 1993 as previously registered after we both consulted the Scamp web site reference for decoding the VIN.

In addition, the inspector allowed me to "hold" the certification sticker until we have completed the renovation of the outer shell and then place the sticker next to the doorway.
Thanks for the report. What did you do about the emergency exit?
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:17 AM   #29

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
Thanks for the report. What did you do about the emergency exit?
Cathi, the previous owner told me that the roof vent was sealed shut but it really wasn't. I went out there and popped it open without issue and it closed without issue. There was no handle so I "borrowed" the handle from that bathroom window and it works fine. However, the inspector never mentioned the issue of emergency exit so I didn't either.

We'll still have to replace the roof vent because it is obvious that it leaked at some point because some attempts are repair by a well intending individual armed with a caulk gun. It's a mess because of the loads of caulk but we'll get that straightened out too.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:36 AM   #30

Kentucky
Registry
We're official! I just left the court house where I've completed the sale transfer and registration following the required class B inspection we obtained earlier. I was expecting to pay sales tax on the purchase price but was surprised to find that the "travel trailer" designation is different from an RV such as a motorhome and the entire transaction was only $20. Hahaha! Wonderful!