Compact jr battery box - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2014, 07:54 AM   #1

Name: THOMAS
Trailer: 1972 COMPACT JR
Colorado
Compact jr battery box

Anyone know where the battery box on my CJR was originally placed? My new purchase has none.
Also there is a small "momentary type" round black push-button on the front of the kit counter right in front of the sink (on the vertical part of the cabinet right near the top. Two small black wires that I cannot follow come from the button--- they seem to go under the plywood floor and disappear.
Anyone know what button/wires are for? (Assuming they were original)
TLJ
THOMASJU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:39 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Battery & Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by THOMASJU View Post
Anyone know where the battery box on my CJR was originally placed? My new purchase has none.
Also there is a small "momentary type" round black push-button on the front of the kit counter right in front of the sink (on the vertical part of the cabinet right near the top. Two small black wires that I cannot follow come from the button--- they seem to go under the plywood floor and disappear.
Anyone know what button/wires are for? (Assuming they were original)
TLJ
Battery Location:
After 40 some years it's hard to guess "Original" but I have seen them under the dinette seats on the three I have looked at, and that's where my group 27 lives, right beside a Progressive Dynamics PD4045.

Mystery Button:
That's the horn button, so riders can signal the driver:
(also see way below)

Original Use:

1 Honk = We are out of beer
2 Honks = We are still out of beer
3 Honks = Never mind, we found some

But that's the way it was in those daze.....

Today, BTW: Now in 5th wheelers only:

1 Honk = Can you pull over, I Gotta Go
2 Honks= Pleeze Pull Over, I really Gotta Go
3 Honks= Never Mind, Where do you keep the mop?

More Probable Use:
Most Hunters had a push button operated water pump, not a pressure system. You pushed the button, the pump ran, and water came out of the faucet.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:50 AM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
My 1973 has no battery and no evidence that there was ever was a 12 volt system inside. Water pump is manual. Lights are all 110 volt AC. Of course, the tail lights are 12v and run by the tow vehicle.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:38 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Both the Compact II and Compact Jr brochures in the Documents Center indicate that they have some sort of combination 12VDC/120VAC system, but neither indicated what that included, nor does either make mention of a battery.

Just as some have a fear of LP systems in a trailer, I suppose that if someone had that well documented fear of batteries, called twelvevoltophobia, (See DSM-VIII) they could have special ordered a unit without a 12 volt system.

I have also seen a reference of optional LP Mantle type lights for the Compact trailers, so one might not need a battery.

In a 1950's, 13' (?) sticky, in which I freely gave up my RV virginity, I remember that it had a stove and a wall heater, but that we had to use our Coleman lanterns at night for illumination, as well as to draw all the mosquitos inside so they wouldn't bother the nearby tent campers ......

Someday, when I get to that great RV Park in the sky, I'll look up the Hunter sisters and ask them lots of questions... and, providing that they have WiFi there, I will send down (or up?) what I find.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #5

Trailer: Compact Jr
My sister's Compact Jr, when she bought it, had two completely separate electrical systems. One was a 12V battery, located under the passenger-side dinette seat at the forward end, which operated a couple 12V fixtures (one over the stove and one on the passenger-side bulkhead) and a water pump. The other was 110V: A long extension cord, hooked to a circuit breaker box, which powered a single 110V light on the driver-side bulkhead.
Very very simple. No way to charge the battery from the 110V.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:16 PM   #6

Name: THOMAS
Trailer: 1972 COMPACT JR
Colorado
Thanks, folks....I'm now starting to get this l'il beastie figured out. Quite a bit more to go but I'm getting the critter figgered out.
TJ
THOMASJU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:27 PM   #7

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Our Compact II had no battery either. 12v came from tug 110 from plugging in. We put in battery, charging system and solar panels. A few $100 but well worth it. Do it yourself and know it's done right!
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery