Converter/battery location - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2014, 06:22 AM   #21

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Woo hoo! Best of luck with the job thing Morgyn! Boler or no Boler, it never hurts to have more money. Me, I am in a dead end job with no hope of even a raise, let alone progression. Nevertheless, I keep a smail on my face, like this...

Best of luck!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:08 AM   #22

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgynm View Post
Well it turns out that I can't even afford a new battery at the moment so I guess I won't be using my Boler for even one night of camping.
Why not?
It is a hard sided tent on wheels with built in beds. Do you abandon your house in a power outage?

I'm starting to wonder about you.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:26 AM   #23

Name: Morgyn
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
Whatcha wondering??

Morgyn
1981 13' Boler
Nova Scotia
morgynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:34 AM   #24

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Thank You Roger, you mentioned the primary causes of battery hydrogen explosions, overcharging and removing clamps when the charger is on and causing a spark. I saw the same thing happen when I was 15 years old and started working in a gas station and a mechanic put a high boost charge on a 6 volt battery and pulled the clamps off under load. Funny thing, I haven't seen one explode since.

A properly installed and vented battery (Hear that Parkliner?) poses no safety threat when placed inside the coach.

BTW: When I move a battery inside I intentionally place it as close as possible to being over the axle to give me more control over tongue weight.

And... some RV storage lots specifically suggest removing batteries that are tongue mounted and store them inside the coach for security.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:40 AM   #25

Nova Scotia
I'm insanely curious if you're wondering why I ask so much. And I get really cranky at myself about roadblocks that I can't fix right away. I'll still be camping and backpacking this fall though.

Morgyn
1981 13' Boler
Nova Scotia
Old 08-19-2014, 07:41 AM   #26

New York
Quote:
I get really cranky at myself about roadblocks that I can't fix right away.
We must be cousins!
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 08-19-2014, 07:48 AM   #27

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Speaking of Dead End Jobs.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Woo hoo!. (clip) Me, I am in a dead end job with no hope of even a raise, let alone progression.
Yep, many of us are also in the same situation, it's called retirement.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:58 AM   #28

Nova Scotia
Lol!! I'm sure there's a few "cousins" on here then.

Morgyn
1981 13' Boler
Nova Scotia
Old 08-19-2014, 10:02 AM   #29

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I figure if the list-o-projects I have is ever "completed" someone is reading my eulogy. I am getting a bit more selective on what gets on the list.

Roof repair would jump right to the top. Same reason leak repair would in a camper, ignore it and it will only be much worse later.

No reason you can't camp someplace with electric (hydro as you say up north) if the opportunity comes up. Provincial parks I have been to, even those with services have beat the heck out of staying home doing yard work.

Long winter of planning and exploring options if nothing else will increase confidence in eventual choice you hopefully can implement for next season in the spring.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:27 AM   #30

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Wire it up with wires long enough to both reach your final battery location and the ability to set the battery on the ground. That way you can use the battery when needed and then disconnect it to move it to a storage spot while travelling.

Seems to me that you can camp backpacking without a battery, but need one to sleep in a trailer. It makes absolutely no sense to me.

On edit, wondering if maybe I am too much of a city slicker. Comments that may have offended another member have been deleted. My apologies.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:35 AM   #31

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I Provincial parks I have been to, even those with services have beat the heck out of staying home doing yard work.
Thats the problem up here in the North not to many Provincial Parks have power sites. But as you say people get by camping in a tents with no power so why not a trailer! I don't use much electrical in the trailer when off the grid for long periods and especially when in low light for solar recharge....often just use a portable lantern for light.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #32

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question Now or Never ?

Quote:
I guess I won't be using my Boler for even one night of camping.

I'll let it sit at the lake for the winter and you'll probably see it for sale in the spring.
Patience in life is free! There is always next year.
I've been working on my http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ang-64664.html for more than 3 years. Yes I want to go camping in it soon. Yes I have conflicting demands on my time and money.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:44 AM   #33

Nova Scotia
Someone thinks I'm a troll. Roy, I've sent you a PM as that comment upset me.

If someone could delete this thread, that would be great. I'm sorry one thing I said in frustration early in the morning of having my funds cut off could be taken so seriously by some people.

I really do want to learn how to fix my Boler. It goes in for it's safety on Thursday and my fingers are crossed there will be nothing wrong there.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:49 AM   #34

New York
Just for the record, the "troll" thing upset me too. Why in the world would anybody use that in the context of this thread? I find Morgyn's posts to be of interest and enjoy her sense of humor.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 08-19-2014, 12:01 PM   #35

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I do not understand the troll comment either. Just let it go some people just get up on the wrong side of the bed sometimes. Morgynm we are still here to help you on your adventure. Nice thing about fiberglass eggs they can sit until you get the funds necessary until your dreams are achieved. Enjoy your egg as is it is still better than a tent especially in the rain.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #36

Nova Scotia
Thank you, Frank and Steve. I'll keep my chin up and trucking along.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #37

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Troll in internet usage means someone that tries to start fights or arguments.

Troll here in Mich. means someone that lives "under the bridge" as in the lower peninsula. And Yoopers (from upper peninsula) do not use it as a compliment.

Don't see how it even applies to any part of this thread?

Having planned to accomplish some improvement and then have "life" get in the way is always a bummer. Constructive comments about how one might use it anyway seem useful. Speculation that someone is a Troll not so much but Roy is not known as a mean person of bad disposition (actually pretty helpful) so it's probably a mis-communication of an idea.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:27 PM   #38

Nova Scotia
I've gotten over my morning frustration, went to the gym, talked to my husband, and have been looking at pictures of batteries mounted on trailer tongues.

I think I might be able to work something out without even having to spend a dime. I just need to figure out how to seal the vent holes on the lid of the battery box. I'm assuming that I'd be drilling a hole down low in the box for the cables to go out and that the cables bump outs in the lid could act as vents instead as they slope down?
Old 08-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #39

Registry
Quote:
Thank you, Frank and Steve. I'll keep my chin up and trucking along.
Don't forget to add the trailer to the back of the truck (no battery needed) I can confirm getting out and camping is a good way to reduce the stress of having to do home repairs and not spend the money doing other things we would rather be spending the money on! LOL know that story all to well!

Re the Troll comment. It had me baffled as well wondered if it was actually directed at another posters comment as the OP's posts and comments certainly did not appear to me to represent the definition of a troll in any way.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:33 PM   #40

Registry
Quote:
I think I might be able to work something out without even having to spend a dime. I just need to figure out how to seal the vent holes on the lid of the battery box. I'm assuming that I'd be drilling a hole down low in the box for the cables to go out and that the cables bump outs in the lid could act as vents instead as they slope down?
A battery box will have the lid and side designed so that all the wiring comes out of it - usually on the side near the top under the flared out top section. You also do not want to seal up vent holes in a battery box - they are there for a good reason. Canadian Tire sells a vented battery box that would do the job for you for under $15 - you may be able to pick one up at Walmart or a garage sale for less.

Tags
battery