Converter/battery location - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #43

Name: Morgyn
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
After seeing pics of others (god bless Google!), it looks like I might be able to fit it in front of the propane tank by u-bolting it to the frame on either side and through the bottom of the box. Or maybe I can bolt a piece of wood to the frame then the box to the wood?

Old 08-19-2014, 02:04 PM   #44

Nova Scotia
Just saw your edit. Zip ties might work as I just realized my tongue jack's clamps will be in the way.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #45

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgynm View Post
After seeing pics of others (god bless Google!), it looks like I might be able to fit it in front of the propane tank by u-bolting it to the frame on either side and through the bottom of the box. Or maybe I can bolt a piece of wood to the frame then the box to the wood?
Yes many of our small trailers have the battery box fitted very snug up against the front of the trailer behind the propane tank. Yes you could add a piece of wood on the tongue and screw the box onto it. I would be worried that the wood might rot in time letting the screws go though - perhaps a thick piece of plastic from an old cutting board or something would work better.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #46

Nova Scotia
I cropped one of the front view pics I had to show the tongue. Ignore the awful advertising tank cover the PO's kept on it. It's going far, far away!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-19-2014, 02:41 PM   #47

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Just put a piece of whatever material you use between the u bolts for the jack as a riser. Put a matching piece on the other side of the frame, and you can put the other piece across the top of the them, and attach your battery box to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-19-2014, 02:55 PM   #48

Kansas
If you feel like the need to easilly remove it, you could install it with a connector. I used Andersen connectors because my battery has to be in the box with the lid on to go in it's mount, making it hard to hook up wires beforehand.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1408477946.206853.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	75127

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1408477985.588145.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	75128

Old 08-19-2014, 03:00 PM   #49

Nova Scotia
I'm not too worried about needing to remove it. Although now you have me wondering if I should be worrying!
Old 08-19-2014, 03:05 PM   #50

Kansas
I wouldn't bother removing it, but that's a personal choice.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:24 PM   #51

Nova Scotia
You know you're tired when you're looking for the Facebook "Like" icon!!

I've missed my opportunity to go visit the Boler until Friday night now so I'll start poking around the house for things needed to give this a try.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:43 PM   #52

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Batteries generally only off gas when charging, as suggested earlier you can just transport battery in it's box and set it on the ground by the tongue to hook it up once you get to the campground.

Disconnect and stow for the return trip. Just be sure to recharge battery once you get home, not good for battery to sit with a partial charge.

Might want to consider this type of inexpensive connector intended for electric trolling motor to attach to battery and house wiring. Makes pulling the battery to store it in garage easier and would make it easy to have battery be "portable" until you work out a final solution to mounting battery on the tongue.

Not that wood won't work or a temporary attachment of some sort is not possible but why do the work twice? Something to be said for only paying for it once (in money or time) and getting what you really want instead of investing in temporary solutions.

Besides do you want to worry the whole trip if battery is still there? Or pack it securely and just use it when you set up camp?

I would consider getting a price from welding shop on moving the tank support angle iron, adding battery box support angle iron and welding a jack on to replace the U-Bolt attachment of the current one. Then save up for it. If not this fall then for spring.

A much nicer jack can be had for between $35 - $45 including one that has the handle crank on the side so it won't be crowded by the propane tank or battery.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #53

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Sorry folks if I have offended anyone.

There are many definitions of a Troll. Many of us initially think of the flaming and abusive types. I'll use a quote from Wikipedia that was part of my mindset when initially posting. I'm not giving my age but I was a regular participant in newsgroups long before FGRV even started.

Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
"By the late 1990s, alt.folklore.urban had such heavy traffic and participation that trolling of this sort was frowned upon. Others expanded the term to include the practice of playing a seriously misinformed or deluded user, even in newsgroups where one was not a regular; these were often attempts at humor rather than provocation. In such contexts, the noun troll usually referred to an act of trolling — or to the resulting discussion — rather than to the author."

I shake my head in disbelief that someone would not use a trailer or even consider selling it, simply because the interior lights don't work.

I've been here for a little over here 8 years now. Maybe I am different.

In 2006, the first summer we had the boler American, we used it with duct tape patching the hole in the roof amongs other things. Even took a 3 week trip out east through some typical coastal storms with the duct tape fix. We still use it and it is not finished. Much the same can be said for using our Trillium.

I look at them both as I do with home renovations. You never finish. Now that we've done the kitchen and bathroom, the bedroom is looking shabby. Then it's the rec room, then its the shed or whatever. None of that prevents me from enjoying what I already have.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:00 PM   #54

Nova Scotia
It's all ok, Roy. I've moved on.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:02 PM   #55

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Sorry folks if I have offended anyone.
I had no idea what you meant but was pretty sure it was not intended the way it was understood.

Have read way to many of your posts to figure you would be intentionally insulting in the context of this thread.

Good of you to apologize and clarify.

If all the remodeling and projects were to be done at one time I have a feeling DW would divorce me, as it stands now paying someone to take it all over is cost prohibitive. Secret to a long marriage, make sure to tear something apart just as you finish something
Old 08-19-2014, 04:39 PM   #56

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Morgyn, I tried to find a pic of when I moved my propane tank holder back as far as it could reasonably go, then had just enough room in front for the battery box. I'll keep looking, but just got home, cleaned the kitchen, washed a bunch of dishes and need to go write some checks. Really, it's just a matter of some steel angle screwed to the frame to support whatever, and some 10 gauge wires to run to the PD5045. By the way, our first trailer was a Sunline Sunspot, a 5 X 10 literal bed on wheels, no power. We loved it (compared to tents), but it was just too short and no power or anything.

Frank

2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery