Converter question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp
South Carolina
Registry
Converter question

OK,while I am pretty comfortable with body and mechanical work I must admit I dont know very much about electrical.So,here's what I've got.My Scamp has 2 12volt lights and the hood above the stove is also 12volt.The problem is,the 12volt wiring runs under the dinette seat on the non curb side and has a fuse but no converter.There are 2 12volt wires that have been cut and are just laying there.
I only use shore power but I would like to use these lights and add a porch light also.Can I add a converter without using a battery and if so,can anyone suggest a good converter that wont make a lot of noise?
Brian Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Brian Bran?

What year is your Scamp?

You can just get a simple low power battery charger and use it as a power supply to run the minimal lighting you are asking about.

All a converter does is convert shore power into 12vdc and charge a battery while do it.
Obviously this is what a charger does too.

I would get a charger you can return in case it is one of the newer models that require a battery for the circuit to work but you should be able to find one that will just output 12vdc if you look around.

On the other hand it would not be a bad idea to add a battery and then have an entire 12vdc system for when it can come in handy.

I use a charger you can find at walmart for under $20.00 and you can also pick up a cheap deep cycle battery there and not spend $100.00 total.

Just food for thought?

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:47 PM   #3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bran View Post
OK,while I am pretty comfortable with body and mechanical work I must admit I dont know very much about electrical.So,here's what I've got.My Scamp has 2 12volt lights and the hood above the stove is also 12volt.The problem is,the 12volt wiring runs under the dinette seat on the non curb side and has a fuse but no converter.There are 2 12volt wires that have been cut and are just laying there.
I only use shore power but I would like to use these lights and add a porch light also.Can I add a converter without using a battery and if so,can anyone suggest a good converter that wont make a lot of noise?

Here this will do the trick. Amazon.com: Pyramid PS12KX 10-amp 13.8-volt Power Supply: Electronics
Old 05-03-2011, 06:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Byron.....
Nice power supply that would fit Brian's needs.... My first thought on what was needed is a "Regulated Power Supply" which is exactly what your link is..... I used to use them to power DC powered CB Radio's in the house as no hum will come out of the radio. Nice option if you don't want to install a converter.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:15 AM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Z View Post
Byron.....
Nice power supply that would fit Brian's needs.... My first thought on what was needed is a "Regulated Power Supply" which is exactly what your link is..... I used to use them to power DC powered CB Radio's in the house as no hum will come out of the radio. Nice option if you don't want to install a converter.
Joe
A smaller lighter switching supply might be better like this one. Jetstream JTMINI15 Power Supply
Old 05-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I'd personally go with a standard converter. You can often get a progressive dynamics converter capable of 35 amps for $99 on Ebay. It's not much more money, provides more power and willl allow you to manage a battery in the future.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I'd personally go with a standard converter. You can often get a progressive dynamics converter capable of 35 amps for $99 on Ebay. It's not much more money, provides more power and willl allow you to manage a battery in the future.

Norm
Generally speaking converters make poor battery chargers. For that $100+ I can get a good smart battery charger and a power supply. Which is much better for battery than a converter. If my trailer didn't have a converter already in it would NOT put one in. Right now my battery is being kept charged with a small charger that's designed to maintain the battery.

That said. A converter might be the easier way with a battery.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #8

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
To add to your portfolio of options the following two units will work as well. I just bought the 60W unit for LED lights on my house deck. Amazon.com: Waterproof LED Driver Transformer 60 Watt 12V with 3-prong Plug, 3204: Home Improvement
Amazon.com: Non Waterproof 100 Watt, Led Driver Power Supply 12 Volt DC, 3219-100w: Home Improvement
I don’t know how much budget you have allocated to this project but you could just add a small converter which gives you an option to add a battery in the future. Personally I would go this route. DLS-15 15 Amp Power Converter
George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
To add to your portfolio of options the following two units will work as well. I just bought the 60W unit for LED lights on my house deck. Amazon.com: Waterproof LED Driver Transformer 60 Watt 12V with 3-prong Plug, 3204: Home Improvement
Amazon.com: Non Waterproof 100 Watt, Led Driver Power Supply 12 Volt DC, 3219-100w: Home Improvement
I don’t know how much budget you have allocated to this project but you could just add a small converter which gives you an option to add a battery in the future. Personally I would go this route. DLS-15 15 Amp Power Converter
George.
The two from Amazon I would be concerned about the electrical noise level. They could be quite noisy and any radio or stereo equipment could be effected.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #10

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
The two from Amazon I would be concerned about the electrical noise level. They could be quite noisy and any radio or stereo equipment could be effected.
HEY BYRON

Services of an Electrical Engineer, Retired or not, needed on aisle 12!
I'm in over my head over on http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post248144

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
Good point, they could be noisy, these are switching not linear power supplies.
George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #12

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The advantage of a converter is that they extend battery life with their desulfation cycle. I have a set of batteries on year 14. I never take them off the converter.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
The advantage of a converter is that they extend battery life with their desulfation cycle. I have a set of batteries on year 14. I never take them off the converter.

Norm
many converters do NOT have a desulfation cycle. By all means if you buy a converter and want to keep a battery charged make sure it has a desulfation cycle. In my case the converter installed in my 2006 Scamp does not desulfate and it under charges. I've killed two batteries in 5 years because they were kept at undercharge. I'm now using a "Batter Minder" to keep the battery charged and desulfated. Only time will tell if that will do the job or not.

The original poster also indicated that they just wanted to be able to use their 12volt stuff while plugged in.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:35 PM   #14

South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
So,on this unit all I would need to do is plug it into my 120 and then hook the 12volt positive and negative into it right?
Old 05-03-2011, 07:42 PM   #15

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bran View Post
So,on this unit all I would need to do is plug it into my 120 and then hook the 12volt positive and negative into it right?
Yes......That unit will do what you want it to.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #16

South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Z View Post
Yes......That unit will do what you want it to.
Joe
OK,thanks everybody for all your help.Looks like I'll be ordering that one soon.