Converter thoughts - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #15

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
Roy, I prefer to have each of those things -- converter, AC distribution & breakers, DC distribution & fuses, solar charge controller -- in different units, because that way I can pick and choose the best unit for my needs and can replace a failed battery charger or solar controller more easily if the need arises or a new technology comes out that I just gotta have. (Unlikely.)

In our Scamp, our 100w of solar panels do the job for us. Don't need a converter . . . we have one, but don't even bother to turn it on, even when it's parked. We'd rather float-charge our battery with a BatteryMinder.

For our Surfside project trailer, I'm buying the parts separately, purchasing a BatteryMinder float charger (instead of a converter), MPPT solar charge controller, 9-circuit 12v fuse board, and a 2 circuit, 30A load center and breakers. I'm figuring the lot will run me around $200, with most of that going to the MPPT charge controller and BatteryMinder.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #16

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandegor View Post
Hey folks. My Scamp is without a converter at the moment, and this guy is for sale for $60. Any thoughts?

You have your own choice, Buddy. Hopefully you have good knowledge ab electrical, then utilizing it(converter) into your needs then everything will be OK. I think I have an identical one with yours and paid 30bucks. Make the story short, how about look into some photos of my modified Trillium with more electrical outputs than the trailer actually needs after modification????? It has total of 4x120VAC outlets, 4x12VDC outlets, rear floodlight, 4x120v interior bulbs, 6x12v interior bulbs, water pump, fan,electric heater/air conditioner. All the bulbs are on at the same time with....NO PROBLEMMO. Main cct breaker is rated at 30Amps....Share with you...No mention ab a POWERFULL SUCKING ceiling fan I recently added and a 5000BTU A/C on the process of modified housing for snap on without photos yet...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG587.jpg   IMG579.jpg  

IMG071.jpg   IMG065.jpg  

IMG140.jpg   IMG575.jpg  

IMG578.jpg   IMG580.jpg  

IMG581.jpg   IMG585.jpg  

Old 09-22-2013, 01:21 AM   #17

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Does this need to be an all or nothing decision? For the cost, I'd get it. No one says you have to use it all the time. I bet even Byron plugs into the electric bush when it's available, even if he doesn't purposely seek it out.
------------------------------------------

Can't say that I agree. Buying that particular converter is like buying a tire that's already 6 years old. It might work for a couple of years or for a couple of weeks. It's old school and plain old as well.

And a 6 amp capacity isn't going to do much for a battery if anything else is on and, with no control, could fry a battery if left ON for to long with no other loads.

I'd sooner put my $60 on Lottery tickets, at least that way you know what your odds might be.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #18

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Bob, I didn't necessary mean that particular converter, just one that works as needed/wanted. In the grand scheme of things, they're pretty cheap. Other posters were saying it was an all or nothing decision and for that I disagree. Some want everything built in, others don't mind hauling totes full of parts and stuff to accomplish the same thing.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #19

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterh View Post
Roy, I prefer to have each of those things -- converter, AC distribution & breakers, DC distribution & fuses, solar charge controller -- in different units, because that way I can pick and choose the best unit for my needs and can replace a failed battery charger or solar controller more easily
That makes a lot of sense peter.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #20

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Costco's are selling 4 stage battery tenders for $39.95. in the Va. stores. They come with an extra lead that attaches to your battery with a plug on it that makes attachment easy.
Eddie
Battery Tender Plus - Batterytender.com
Old 09-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #21

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Nice set up Thinh...
Old 09-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #22

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
While looking up BatteryMinder, I found an interesting video on battery care:
RVEducation 101 RV Video Tips

Peter, do you have any suggestion on which models would serve our purposes?
http://batteryminders.com/store.php?spawner=icon_home&&app=rv
Old 09-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #23

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
Roy, that depends a bit on how you use your trailer. For us, who have 100w of solar panels, rarely camp during the winter, have a catalytic heater to save electricity, all LED lighting, and a very energy-efficient 12v TV/Radio/DVD player, our solar panels provide all our electricity and and our 1A BatteryMinder trickle is only needed when our trailer's under cover.

The 1.33A BatteryMinder "22117", is a lot like ours and looks like a plug-in "wall-wort" power adapter for an electronics device of some kind. It would be a good choice for most trailer users with moderate power needs. Over the course of a day it'll provide 30 Amp hours of power, enough for people who have LED lights, only use their 12v gas furnace at night, and light use of high-demand 12v power devices like water pumps and inverters.

Their "2012" charger, a 2 Amp unit with a temperature sensor for the battery, would be the choice for people with larger demands on their 12V system and camp with hookups, or people who live in very hot or cold climates. Depending on where your trailer lives during Toronto's winters, that might include you, Roy.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #24

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I wouldn't buy it. I'd spend the money on a Battery Minder, Battery Tender, etc. instead.
Your 12 Volt system runs off the battery and all you need is a way to keep the battery charged or recharged after a bit of use. A converter is an expensive way to accomplish the goal.
+1, I have done this and would do it again with a Battery Tender.