CPAP on battery power issues? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-20-2014, 11:52 AM   #57

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Vivian, there are to many unknown variables with your questions. How large of a battery (group 24,31...etc) do you have? How many watts do your solar panels put out? How many amps do yours & your husbands CPAP machines pull per hour, and also don't forget to add the draw of other items like lights (LED or incandescents), water pump, furnace.
Dave & Paula

Old 09-20-2014, 12:45 PM   #58

Name: Bizzian
Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Ontario
Registry
I'll have to check the battery but I wanted to use the 400 powerpak if possible. But Thomas says it's not big enough. The solar panels put out 20 watts. The CPAP machines need 5 to 8 amps each. We don't use the eliminator powerpak for anything else except the cpap machines. The deep cyle battery only get used to lights. Everything else is propane/electric. We don't have a furnace. I'll have to get all my figures together and then see if it's doable.
Thanks

Old 09-20-2014, 02:27 PM   #59

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
A couple of points -
Even at the lower figure of 5 amps (at 12v), 2 of them over 8 hours is going to use 80 amp hours. That is beyond the one day capacity of most single 12V house batteries without recharging. I have no idea of what the amp hour capacity of your 400 Powerpak is, but if it is portable, I doubt it is near even the smallest standard 12V battery.

If your solar panels produce 20 watts (each?) for a total of 40 watts, over a typical day you can expect to produce no more than 20 amp hours; probably less.

The combination is not going to work. In my case I use around 20 - 25 amp hours per day. I have a pair of 6V batteries with a capacity of 232 amp hours. In the summer with a roof mounted 95 watt panel I barely keep up. In the winter (low sun angle) or shade, it takes the combination of the roof panel plus a 160 watt folding panel to keep up with the normal usage.

You are going to need both more battery capacity & more solar panel(s) to put together a system that can produce enough energy to run the CPAP machines for any reasonable length of time.

One possibility - if you can run the machines without the humidifiers, it will save a considerable amount of power.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:16 PM   #60

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
On my last trip I ran my cpap 2 nights which took the group 27 deep cycle battery down to about 75% full. There was some lighting and fan draw as well. The third morning I put out one of my 100watt Renogy solar panels. By 11:30am the batt was 100%. It was very sunny, so on a cloudy day it could have taken much longer. I have 2 of the 100 watt panels for such conditions.
Russ
Old 09-20-2014, 10:19 PM   #61

Ontario
Registry
We never travel with the humidifiers on the CPAP's but I can see I'm going to need to re-think the system. I know that in the one park I can re-charge the power pak in the office but it takes a full day if drawn down too far, so I should really have two of them, one for each machine.
I think I would need 2 x 100 watt panels to go solar. I'll have to check and see what we've got for our deep cycle marine battery and what it's producing. thanks. I'll keep looking at this.
v
Old 09-21-2014, 02:36 PM   #62

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Vivian, I think you are on the right track, your little power pack is just too small for long term use with two machines. I will say that my very informal tests on my machine show a lot less draw than I imagined from the name plate rating. If I were you I would investigate upgrading my camper battery to a nice real deep cycle group 27 or 31 and a folding 100W panel system. Keep your power pack as a nice backup against poor sun or other issue.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #63

Ontario
Registry
Thanks Tim. We always have the power pak charged because we live out in the country and hydro in the winter can go out on us pretty regular. We use it for a lamp, the wood stove too cook and heat but we just wait it out for the CPAP's. It is usually back on within 24 hours.
I am thinking upgrade the camper batter and go from there.
Vivian
Old 09-21-2014, 03:03 PM   #64

North Florida
Bad weather was my main thrust in seeing about running my CPAP off a battery. Down here it is bad storms knocking out power usually at night when they can be understandably slow to get it back up. The only thing I know first hand is my 120V CPAP will run two nights easily off the old (old) battery out of my tractor on a small invertor. Which is the old battery out of my pickup. No telling what a real, new, deep cycle battery would do. If I ever blow this CPAP up the next one will be 12V.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:41 PM   #65

Ontario
Registry
My next one may be a 12v anyway.
Thanks
v
I'll let you know how I do if I ever get out there and get at it.
Gardens to put to bed right now.
Vivian
Old 09-23-2014, 08:37 PM   #66

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
All the CPAP machines I've seen are 12VDC. Yes, they have the ubiquitous "black box" that plugs into the wall, but it puts out 12VDC. Buy or make a 12 volt cord that can run your machines directly from the 12 volts in your trailer. This will eliminate the overhead of running an inverter.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:53 AM   #67

Ontario
Registry
One of our machines has the "black box" but mine does not. Just an ordinary chord with a two prong plug that goes directly into the wall, so I suspect it is not a 12vdc machine.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:58 AM   #68

Trailer: Aliner folding & Weekend Warrior toy hauler
Ohio
When we got the wife's CPAP we had a choice between Resmed brand and Respironics brand.

The Resmed is 24v and requires a $70 converter to operate on 12v.

The Respironics is 12v and uses a simple $30 cord.

We got the Respironics and in the process educated the sales person at the medical supply. They couldn't understand why the voltage was an issue and had never been asked before.
1998 Ford E150 pulling a 2006 Weekend Warrior toy hauler = 8 MPG
beemerphile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:18 AM   #69

North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile1 View Post
The Resmed is 24v and requires a $70 converter to operate on 12v. The Respironics is 12v and uses a simple $30 cord.
That is very interesting as my (older) CPAP is a Resmed 120V but the newer version of this same model is supposedly 12V. I would rather have a 120V machine than something strange like 24V. At least a 120V machine could run off a simple and readily available inverter.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:23 AM   #70

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Resmed is indeed 24V...I had an email correspondence with the manufacturer. Thank you very much Australia (where the beast is made). Sometime this winter I'll pick up the ResMed 12V->24V gizmo.

Tags
battery