Crossed Wires - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2014, 08:58 PM   #1

Crossed Wires

Hey all! I'm a new (lady) owner, and I did something really dumb tonight. In the dark, showing off my new 2007 Scamp ( well, new to me) to my cousin, I hooked up the battery wrong. Apparently I crossed the wires for a few seconds. Now my interior lights don't work. Nothing popped inside or outside the camper (my daughter was inside at the time). No sparks, no explosions. But the interior lights won't work. I'm in tears! The volt meter shows 12.2 on the marine battery that I had charged up over the afternoon because it was really low. Have I really messed up? What can I check or do??? Help!!!
chris huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Chris don't panic you have probable just blown a fuse. There are a few places to check. Your scamp has two inline fuses - one is right off the battery outside and the other is just inside the tailer where all the wiring comes in from the tongue. Don't know your layout but on mine the fuse is on the wire inside the passenger side front hatch - right up against the front wall under all the rat fur. Those are the two fuses I would check first.... then check the ones in/on your converter if its not one of the inline fuses.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:12 PM   #3

Oh, I hope you are right! I feel horrible. I don't know of other fuses boxes besides the one In the black box below the seat near the furnace. I have the front bathroom 13' deluxe.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:14 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
And for future reference, if you want to disconnect the battery, only take off 1 terminal, either one, but it's slightly safer to take off the ground wire, that's all that's necessary.....

I second the possibility of it being a fuse, that's what they are for after all....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:16 PM   #5

You guys are so kind to try to help! I'm still trying to locate the other fuse box!!
Old 03-08-2014, 09:17 PM   #6

Added note

If you have the front bath, look for the inline fuse(s) in the bottom of the closet that's next to the bathroom, down at the floor.

Because it is New-to-you, a p.o. may have added another fuse or two in the battery box, take a look there as well.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:18 PM   #7

Thanks, Bob! It's dark, but I'm going to look! This is killing me, and I won't sleep tonight! Thanks!
Old 03-08-2014, 09:21 PM   #8

Not to worry, you most likely didn't hurt anything, you just have to locate the fuse that blew.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:43 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris huss View Post
I don't know of other fuses boxes besides the one In the black box below the seat near the furnace. I have the front bathroom 13' deluxe.
Chris, don't feel bad or horrible lots of people new to Scamps have made the same mistake. The fuses I mentioned are not actually fuse boxes, they just small glass tube fuses that are actually in a tiny holder right on the wire. You will have to look at the wires and if your see a lump in them and possible some extra tape wrapped around it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:43 PM   #10

Yay!!!! Thans Bb and Carol! It worked! It was in the American fuse box (the black one below the seat)!!!

If only you two were here to tell me how to use the furnace, lol! It's cold in here!
Old 03-08-2014, 09:45 PM   #11

That's THANKS BOB, by the way!
Old 03-08-2014, 10:06 PM   #12

Hey!!!! We figured out the furnace too! It was just missing a fuse!!!!!!!!!
Thanks everyone!!!! I'm going to bed before I mess something else up!!! Nite!!!!!
Old 03-09-2014, 08:36 AM   #13

Never Mind...

Old 03-09-2014, 11:08 AM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
You might want to put a good flashlight/ lantern in a convenient spot for future use. You can lose power for many reasons, so best be prepared with enough light to find and fix the problem

FYI, you can also add a photo and your trailer information to your signature /avatar area since you are a proud Scamp owner!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:08 PM   #15

:-) thanks everyone!