Do I need a battery box? - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-10-2018, 11:16 PM   #1

Name: Thierry
Trailer: Trillium '76
BC
Do I need a battery box?

I'm planning on installing a deep cycle battery under the seat in my Trillium camper. Thinking of getting one from Costco (Kirkland).

Do I need a battery box to avoid toxic fumes?
The box under the seat acts as a battery box would, I think. It's closed (but not fully sealed)

AGM batteries are double the price and I'm not ready to spend that much.

thimith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:22 AM   #2

Name: p@
Trailer: Casita
South Carolina
Registry
short answer...yes.

lead acid batteries emit dangerous gas (hydrogen). remember the hindenburg?

best to get that gas outside.

p@

patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:43 AM   #3

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
You want to vent it to the outside also😎
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:59 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Battery boxes for inside use are sealed with a vent hose to the exterior. It means cutting a small hole in the shell.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vented Battery Box.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	123183
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:21 AM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thimith View Post
I'm planning on installing a deep cycle battery under the seat in my Trillium camper. Thinking of getting one from Costco (Kirkland).

Do I need a battery box to avoid toxic fumes?
The box under the seat acts as a battery box would, I think. It's closed (but not fully sealed)

AGM batteries are double the price and I'm not ready to spend that much.
Everyone else answered the question on the need for a sealed battery box, but have you considered mounting it on the tongue to save space and eliminate the sealed box.

AGM batteries offer way more for the price. With proper care to both flooded and AGM, the AGM will last nearly twice as long, it discharges way slower when not in use, it charges faster, can handle extreme hot or cold better, and can be used inside without a vented battery box. I have been using dual 6V for a few years now and they have performed great.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:36 AM   #6

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick crawford View Post
short answer...yes.

lead acid batteries emit dangerous gas (hydrogen). remember the hindenburg?

best to get that gas outside.

p@
We all know what happens when you combine just one oxygen atom with two hydrogen atoms !!...

Definition of hyperbole....
Comparing 200,000 cubic feet of hydrogen struck by a hundred million volt lightning strike to a couple of cubic inches of diluted hydrogen exposed to a 12V spark.

Get a battery box anyway.

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:23 AM   #7

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Currently shopping
North Carolina
Battery box?

I agree with our moderator, Mr. Bennett. AGM is the way to go. More expensive but no cost of time and money to build or buy and install a box.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #8

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Ron View Post
I agree with our moderator, Mr. Bennett. AGM is the way to go. More expensive but no cost of time and money to build or buy and install a box.
Battery box...8 bucks, small wall vent...3bucks.
Can't justify the cost... you just have to want one!
Old 08-11-2018, 11:10 AM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
AGM or lead-acid, venting needed or not... if its mounted where the terminals are exposed, put it in a box. This advice from someone who has accidentally shorted out a battery with a wrench across the terminals, or some other way, more times than he cares to admit. Its a scary thing when it happens but in these cases there was no explosion so fortunately he is still around to admit it.
gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:37 AM   #10

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Triple E
British Columbia
While a tongue mounted battery box is handier, and solves any fume issue, it leaves the battery exposed to thieves.
Gerry Kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:43 PM   #11

Name: Wil
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
We all know what happens when you combine just one oxygen atom with two hydrogen atoms !!...

Definition of hyperbole....
Comparing 200,000 cubic feet of hydrogen struck by a hundred million volt lightning strike to a couple of cubic inches of diluted hydrogen exposed to a 12V spark.

Get a battery box anyway.

When hydrogen and oxygen come together to form water it is not just a quiet merging and bingo a drop of water. It emits energy. Two H's and one O, not a big deal. With lots of H's and O's it can become a big deal. Doesn't take 200,000 cubic feet. Even a safe demo with a small amount in a chemistry class can be impressive. With the caveat "don't try this as home." Batteries and their surroundings don't explode often. Mainly because commercial installations are required to do it to code and most amateurs take proper precautions. Be smart and be safe. If you're doing an internal installation use a sealed box/compartment with venting only to the outside.

And, by the way, the Hindenburg didn't go up in one big explosion. The hydrogen inside wasn't mixed with oxygen. It came into contact with oxygen as the enclosing envelope leaked and burned away. It was a very rapid burn, an inferno.

Mix hydrogen from a battery with oxygen (air) already contained in a closed space, such as a closed compartment or battery box, and you have a potential bomb.
wilyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:43 PM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I have had 2 batteries explode, one was on a charger with the caps off when a spark set it off. The other was in a vehicle and went off when I hit the starter. The Uhaul rental trailers had the battery mounted under the rear seating, in a box with a gasketed lid and a vent tube to the outside.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:30 PM   #13

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I have had 2 batteries explode, one was on a charger with the caps off when a spark set it off. The other was in a vehicle and went off when I hit the starter. The Uhaul rental trailers had the battery mounted under the rear seating, in a box with a gasketed lid and a vent tube to the outside.
As you know, I was a fleet mechanic, so yeah, I've seen about everything that could happen to a battery!
In some Fiberglass RVs the battery is under the seat with no battery box at all when the compartment is vented or just not air tight.
I suggest a battery box if for no other reason than to contain most of the mess in case of a failure or leak.
Many cars now have the battery under the back seat exposed without a separate container... Go figger!

Lead acid batteries don't really outgas much unless they are under a heavy charge rate like when jump starting.
I have seen plenty of sidepost batteries simply short out inside where the post attaches.

The battery in my Scamp13 is now under the rear center bench.
It is in a sealed/vented container which is much stronger than a standard plastic battery box... still I don't expect any significant outgassing under normal use.
At least a battery box should prevent shorting the battery with some junk cargo with which it shares cargo space.
Consider this... battery goes dead in storage, freezes and cracks , a case would sure facilitate cleanup!
Also keeping a lid on can help prevent discharge by keeping the battery top clean.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:46 PM   #14

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I did the same type work too Floyd, although apparently you dealt with a wider range of equipment. Happily retired now and don't miss it one bit.

mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery