Does a generator beat solar? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread
Old 10-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #57
Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Nice folks who responded positively to our concern.
Generally speaking, most folks are not naturally mean and selfish, they are just uneducated. How you approach them and broach the topic of their ignorance can have serious consequences on their willingness to be enlightened.

One approach: TURN OFF THAT @#$%^* GENERATOR YOU %^(*)*^%$ I AM TRYING TO ENJOY SOME ^%_)*&$## PEACE AND *&^%$$$ QUITE FOR (**&%$% CRYING (*&^$%$#^&* OUT &$%%^&* LOUD!

Another: Howdy! Swell little genny you got there, what kind of load are you powering with it? I have one a lot like it, I carried it for a while until I was comfortable that the solar panels would do for all our electrical needs.
Dang that little sucker sure is loud ain't it, let’s step over here a ways where we can talk. Hey, would you like a cold Root Beer? Got some right here in the fridge. Speaking of the fridge, its’ 12V only. Pretty neat and we have really enjoyed the convenience. I also really like our solar panels.
I really hated having to keep up with one more gasoline engine on the genny, dang poor ethanol corngas they sell these days, the thing wouldn’t half run when I needed it. My solar system was actually cheaper than the dang generator, and is always on and pretty much maintenance free. Check the batteries every now and again is about it. I don't know about you but I really need to keep my life simple. Once I got this solar stuff working it don’t get much simpler than the Sun coming up every morning! Say, I have a spare package of weenies and we were planning on roasting some tonight on the fire you want to come, and can you shut that thing off then?

Old 10-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #58
Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Little Guy Teardrop
I have zero problem with someone running their generator if they are allowed in the campground so long as they respect the allowable hours, it's when they don't I would object. Case in point, at a a national forest site generator hours until 10pm, man came and said his would be running all night for his oxygen. We changed site although really he should have been the one to move.

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Old 10-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #59
Name: Dave
Trailer: Escape
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Generally speaking, most folks are not naturally mean and selfish, they are just uneducated. How you approach them and broach the topic of their ignorance can have serious consequences on their willingness to be enlightened....
and whatever you do, don't start out your conversation with your neighbor by saying "...I realize that you are uneducated and ignorant..."

You could be spitting out pieces of teeth before you even get around to mentioning his generator usage.
Dave W - 2013 Escape 19' and 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Old 10-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #60
Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
I started this thread to find out which camping power source members thought was the better choice. Simple query on solar vs genny power. Better meaning the most practical/efficient/cost-effective/useful way to satisfy a dry camper. I have been playing cranial ping pong on the subject. Is the Costco Yamaha as good as the Honda and do these machines serve our needs better than solar?

OK, so the query was a dumb idea. Clearly, the issue is too emotional.

In no time we went ripping off the topic. I was going to suggest you boys and girls take your wining and ranting on human behavior and stick it... on a separate thread called "My Personal opinion of human behavior," but no, that would be wrong.

There now, please feel better.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:02 PM   #61
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16

Generally agree the thread has gone astray but there were plenty of good replies. I think the biggest factor is where you live. Often where you live and when you camp requires Air Conditioning, particularly southern living and for summer camping. Air conditioners simply require a generator or an electrical hookup.

Solar can meet most needs except air conditioning. One of the biggest consumers of power is 12 volt lights so changing to LEDs makes camping on solar easier.

We have air conditioning but we are not summer campers. If we're in a really hot area we look for an electric hookup, the same goes for really cold weather for us.

We have solar and it allows us to boondock without issue. We choose convenience over optimum solar energy collected. Our panels are fixed (taped) to the roof. People looking for optimum have solar panels on a cable that they can located to maximize sun light seen by the panel.

Our solar panels (80 watts) allow us to run all or lights, the water pump charge all our electronics. run the TV, sat dish and wi-fi hotspot.

We also have the ability to charge our battery while driving.
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #62
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
People do have strong opinions on generators, some dislike them a lot, others have a dislike for folks who disparage those using a generator.

Conversation naturally wondered around a bit into general courtesy but I would agree with Norm that there is a good amount of information that directly addresses the original question on relative merits of solar and generator. Along with some insight into how to be a good neighbor if one decides to run a generator.

Amazon does product reviews, this place is more like a bunch of people sitting around in lawn chairs mulling stuff over and sharing experiences.

If you want to know the used value of the generator (or other item) before purchase places such as Craig's list or Fleabay can provide some insight. Local small engine repair shop that you would use for repairs can answer questions on maintenance and parts availability for that model. Folks that work on them know the evil from easy models or specific faults.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:05 PM   #63
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
This Thread has crossed the line and is now closed.

Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Closed Thread

generator, noise, solar