Old 03-18-2018, 08:46 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Greg is correct --- See NEC Art #551
Art #551 also refers you to other code sections that also apply such as Sec 300 wiring methods
Why would you replace every receptacle in your trailer with GFCI'S
From a wiring and safety perspective it adds nothing unless every receptacle in your trailer is on a separate circuit.
Every receptacle in my trailer is on a separate breaker. 3 receptacles and 4 breakers, one being the master.

ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:52 AM   #16

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
Not that what you're doing wouldn't work, but I just gotta ask, why do you have each outlet on a separate circuit? Just seems like way overkill to me, but it's your rig. I can't imagine what you would possibly be plugging in that would require separately wired receptacles in the first place.

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:58 AM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
It's the way the trailer came wired. If it ain't broke don't fix it. lol
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:58 AM   #18
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Not that what you're doing wouldn't work, but I just gotta ask, why do you have each outlet on a separate circuit? Just seems like way overkill to me, but it's your rig. I can't imagine what you would possibly be plugging in that would require separately wired receptacles in the first place.
An electric heater and a toaster on the same 15 amp breaker might pop. ??
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:00 AM   #19

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
An electric heater and a toaster on the same 15 amp breaker might pop. ??
My electric heater and 12 volt fridge plugged in using the AC adapter will trip the 15 amp main breaker on my 1979 boler (one AC circuit on original wiring).
Alex Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #20
Raz

Vermont
There you go. Mystery solved.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:37 AM   #21

Trailer: Casita 17 ft DLX SD
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Greg , I ran a separate 20 amp circuit to the kitchen of my Casita.
Now we can run a coffee pot inside the trailer and our electric griddle outside our trailer when making breakfast.
The way the factory wired the trailer this was not possible.
Many trailers run a single 15 amp circuit down one side of the trailer and one down the other side so you have to unplug the coffee pot to make a piece of toast which I think is a PITA
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:57 AM   #22
Raz

Vermont
Electric griddle? I'm coming to your site for breakfast.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:09 AM   #23

Trailer: Casita 17 ft DLX SD
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Electric griddle? I'm coming to your site for breakfast.
We often go camping with our daughters and their families so in the morning I am often making breakfast for 8 to 12 people..
The griddle works great for making bacon, sausage , pancakes, French toast , hashbrowns etc . We use a small crackpot to keep the bacon or sausage warm while cooking pancakes or French toast. I would rather cook outside and keep the mess outside but to each their own.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:17 AM   #24

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
I have a 2010 13' Scamp and it too has the plug at the end of the sink- non GFI. My GFI is mounted on the opposite side of the galley under the closet. I did take advantage of it and ran an outside plug to it. I would order the outside AC plug if I was ordering again. Didnt really think of it then. But it's sure nice. Anyway, it was handy having the GFI within 3' of it.

But I have to agree as to why they would mount a plug "under" the sink and it not be GFI! But that is Scamp.

But then again, after reading this topic, I got thinking. Dig this! I have a plug under the sink UNDER all the plumbing that Scamp installed for the refrig and it's not GFI!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0976.JPG  
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:20 PM   #25

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
But I have to agree as to why they would mount a plug "under" the sink and it not be GFI! But that is Scamp.
Yup...

2016 Scamp #4:
Outlets on both sides of dinette, front bench, microwave shelf, fridge compartment and outside. Six total.

Outside outlet is GFIC and does not control any of the other outlets, so 5 of 6 are not protected.

Port side dinette and front bench outlets are on a 15 amp breaker.
Starboard side dinette, microwave shelf, fridge and outside are on another 15 amp breaker.
30 amp main breaker and 20 amp for A/C.
(remind me to use the electric heater on the port side our bench outlet if using the microwave!)

I do have a P.I. EMS so I have some protection from bad electrical service if not ground fault.

I could be wrong but I seem to recall that GFIC is required for 15 and 20 amp circuits (in listed locations) but not 30 amp because the total leakage in a 30 amp circuit could be enough to trip the GFIC while still being within tolerances for the individual appliances / outlets.

So now I am wondering if maybe I should install 15 amp GFIC outlets as the first in the chain for the two circuits, or replace the 15 amp breakers (only) with GFIC versions. There really is only one outlet in reach of the sink so maybe that one only? Then again one could easily be using the bench outlet while standing on the ground outside the door, and the same goes for the fridge outlet in the outside compartment were someone to use it for something like an outside fan.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:22 PM   #26

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
But then again, after reading this topic, I got thinking. Dig this! I have a plug under the sink UNDER all the plumbing that Scamp installed for the refrig and it's not GFI!
That plug is not for you to use.. its for the fridge. Its like the one I mentioned above, under my lower outside fridge vent. But your question is valid since the outlet is there under your sink, people will use it, even if its not intended to be used for anything other than the fridge.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:25 PM   #27

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
That plug is not for you to use.. its for the fridge. Its like the one I mentioned above, under my lower outside fridge vent. But your question is valid since the outlet is there under your sink, people will use it, even if its not intended to be used for anything other than the fridge.
That may be true, but seems to me if the manufacturer doesn't want you to use the plug, they should either relocate it or label it accordingly. And if it's under the sink, it should be ground fault protected. Pipes/fittings can leak.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:35 PM   #28

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Exactly. But Robert posted below your post MY point with it being "under all the plumbing". If a line breaks, sink leaks etc, STRAIGHT into the socket it will go...and no GFI!! (Or would...I've since moved it ). It should have been mounted at LEAST vertically and not horizontally but oh well.

Another thing... I noticed you said "20A" on the A/C? (out of curiosity, do you know what ga wire is ran to it?) Mine came with 14ga wire AND a 15A breaker when my Coleman manual explicitly says use no less 20A and 12ga wire! I called Kent Eveland's hand on it and his comment was "Well, we've never had any problems." Wow. I said "Why risk it??" The problem I have with mine is, I have the heat unit installed (wouldnt again I dont think). That's a 13+ amper right there! So it's borderline.

This has been a good topic....one quite worthy for everyone to read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post

Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp