Eco-Worthy Solar Panels - Anyone heard of them? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2015, 09:48 PM   #1

Name: Lauren
Trailer: '75 Trillium
Colorado
Eco-Worthy Solar Panels - Anyone heard of them?

Hi All!
We're planning on installing solar on our Trillium and while searching for the solar panels, I keep coming across the brand "Eco-Worthy." They are well priced and seem to have a solid warranty, but I can't find any real reviews on them. So, I'm curious if any of you have used them on any RVs or other small solar set up.

150W 12V mono crystalline solar panel mono solar panel

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on them! We're pretty excited to get the system up and running.
-Lauren
Lauren4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:22 AM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
For $5 more you can get the Grape 160W from Home Depot, might break even once you figure shipping and tax. I liked the idea of being able to easily return it if needed, which it wasn't.

That said, I don't see any problem with the Eco-Worthy at least by the specs and the warranty. From the writing it would seem to be a foreign company if that matters to you.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:45 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Seems rather large for the roof of a Trillium. I'd cut a piece of cardboard to check the fit. Also where are they shipped from? Free Shipping to 80% of the World sounds factory direct. If the factory is over seas it could take a while. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:09 AM   #4

Colorado
Eco-Worthy Solar Panels - Anyone heard of them?

Thanks, guys. We actually wanted the Grape Solar panels until we realized they are out of stock everywhere! I emailed the company about when they expect to have them back in stock and they said not before late March - early April which doesn't work for our timeline, unfortunately.

The panel will definitely fit in the roof - we measured several times.

Eco-worthy is an overseas company, but apparently have a number of warehouses in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-18-2015, 10:14 PM   #5

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Check with Solar Blvd, they have been around for awhile and have a 140w complete system including brackets, wire and controller for $308.00.
I think that price may include shipping.
I have ordered 5 panels from the over the last few years and have been very satisfied with their panels and service.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:37 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
Check with Solar Blvd, they have been around for awhile and have a 140w complete system including brackets, wire and controller for $308.00.
I think that price may include shipping.
I have ordered 5 panels from the over the last few years and have been very satisfied with their panels and service.
John
Their 160 watt, portable panel is currently selling for $239.00 + $37.35 shipping (to upstate NY). Since I'm shopping for an additional rooftop panel for my Escape 17, I have an Excel spreadsheet comparing a few 12V panels here. I also did a short review of Solar Blvd's 160 watt portable panel here.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:49 AM   #7

Colorado
Thanks, Jon - those are both great resources. Thanks for sharing!
Well, we ended up ordering the Eco-Worthy panels. We're getting 2 x 160w to mount on the roof (and they are pretty much a perfect parallel fit on the 13' Trillium). Our engineering buddy is planning out the system and putting the panel together for us, so we're doing it a la carte since he's got some parts "laying" around his shop. We got the batteries ordered (2x 6vTrojan T-105RE). Install will be late March. I feel like we're really bringing the Avocado into the 21st century, now!

Jon - Keep us posted on your project too. What kind of batteries are you using in your system?
Old 02-19-2015, 01:21 PM   #8

New York
Registry
I have a pair of Interstate GC2-XHD 6V, 232 amp hour batteries. I generally use 25 - 30 amp hours per day; when doing lots of editing & making a pot of drip coffee, go as high as 50 amp hours. The 95 watt panel that came with the trailer does OK in good weather, at least in the summers with high angle sun, but winter camping even in Arizona convinced me to add the portable panel. I'd still like to avoid having to set it up, secure it, etc so I'm looking to add an additional panel to the roof. With an AC, Maxx Fan, antennas, vents, etc finding room is a bit of a problem so once the snow melts I'll make templates of the different panels to see what works.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:10 AM   #9
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren4c View Post

The panel will definitely fit in the roof - we measured several times.
As I also have a Trillium, I'm curious about the mounting. Most folks who do a roof mount use very high bond tape. I don't think there is enough flat surface area on a Trillium roof to do that, so perhaps you are using a bracket? When done, please post a picture or two. I'm sure others will be interested. Thanks, Raz
Old 02-20-2015, 09:00 AM   #10

New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
As I also have a Trillium, I'm curious about the mounting. Most folks who do a roof mount use very high bond tape. I don't think there is enough flat surface area on a Trillium roof to do that, so perhaps you are using a bracket? When done, please post a picture or two. I'm sure others will be interested. Thanks, Raz
Just a short note - after having a panel blow off a roof, Escape switched from VHB tape to epoxy...
Old 02-20-2015, 09:19 AM   #11

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
If these are coming from China (which they probably are) and haven't been unloaded and shipped to where ever, be prepared to wait. There's a dock strike/action going on on the west coast of the US and containers are sitting on a LOT of boats waiting to be unloaded. Look for many Chinese-made products to start being in short supply.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:00 AM   #12

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Just a short note - after having a panel blow off a roof, Escape switched from VHB tape to epoxy...
Placement is key. You don't want it to become a wing. Even epoxied down, it could still be lifted off. I'd also be concerned with bonding aluminum brackets and fiberglass with glue.

The panel needs to be far back enough on the roof that it's in the slipstream. Also, it needs to be 1" to 2" off the roof and no more. You want the panel to have air circulation under it for cooling, but not enough space for the winds to blow under it while traveling.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:13 AM   #13
Raz

Whether vhb tape or epoxy, the bond between the gel coat and the fiberglass is also an issue. Bolts are more secure but then there's more holes in the shell. For now, mine rides in the trailer. I read a lot about thin film technology advancements leading to higher efficiency amorphous panels that would be very flexible, i.e. Roll up. But they're not here yet. Raz
Old 02-20-2015, 10:54 AM   #14

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
When I get solar, it will be the thin and flexible variety. I plan to install much like Norm did. That is, VHB the thin panel directly to the gel coat. No wing effect.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:24 AM   #15

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
AM Solar found those panels had issues and decided not to carry them. I'd also be reluctant to tape that much surface area down. It may be near impossible to remove them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:01 PM   #16

Colorado
We'll be using brackets to attach them to the roof. But I've already decided I'm not going to watch when they start drilling through the shell! 😬 we will seals the holes well to prevent any thing from getting in. I'll be sure to post pictures! Yes the undulating roofline will make it more of a challenge but I know my guys will get it done right.

When we ordered the panels, it was my understanding that they were shipping out of US warehouse. Though, it's been nearly a week and only the shipping label has been created - no movement. Hmm...

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-22-2015, 10:56 AM   #17

Name: Andy
Trailer: Trillium
Colorado
Hey everyone!

Thought I'd chime in since I'll be installing this with the help of our engineer friend (Lauren and myself own this camper together). We basically measured the flat surface of the roof and ordered panels that fit within those measurements. We're definitely drilling this to the roof. I have no idea if the panels come with brackets. I was planning on having to possibly make custom brackets anyways. My only fear in this is the height of the panels since we have to go over the riser in the roof. That riser has to be around 4" high at center. The panels will be mounted as far back as possible, but should we fabricate some form of faring on the front panel to close the gap between the panel and the camper? We could run the panels fairly close to the riser, but we'd have the larger gaps off to the sides of the riser.
ajdemo76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco, solar, solar panel