EGG Generator - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2016, 05:55 AM   #1

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2015 Egg
Michigan
EGG Generator

Hi I am new user of Egg Camper and need feedback on installing Honda generator to use and carry on the Egg. Cheers
CRayinMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:01 AM   #2

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1984 Bigfoot B17DLX
Rural Alberta
What are you planning to run with it? Air conditioning?Battery charger?
Ruralcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:14 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Do you have propane bottle(s) on the tongue, or just the battery?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:10 PM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I have a Honda 2000, bought not just for camping but emergency and utility use around the house/farm. I like it a lot but it is a (little) heavier than I imagined, and a (little) louder than I imagined. I bought the 2000 because it is large enough to run my (6000 BTU) AC and it was only a couple hundred dollars more than the 1000. That said, I kind of wish I had the 1000 for the smaller size and weight, AC be hanged. And for all I know the 1000 may have ran my AC. My tow is a full size (F150) so the genny rides in the back of the truck on those rare occasions I take it camping.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:21 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I have a Honda 1000i. I can't physically deal with the heavier 2000i so for me the decision was easy.

As to installation there are some boxes you could mount on the tongue that will allow you to run the Honda eu2000i Generator inside them.
This one is the most reasonably priced version I have seen. You do need to remove cover plates when you want to run it. It is a custom order so you will have to wait for them to make it. http://www.kshmarine.com/generator_box.htm
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:30 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Here's where I mounted my 2000i on my 1999 17' Casita after moving the propane tanks back one inch and molded the rear of the tank over to provide clearance using a heat gun.
Attached Thumbnails
Done.jpg   Done_Side.jpg  

Cover.jpg  
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:51 PM   #7

Name: Andrew
Trailer: eggcamper 2006#37
California
propane generator

I have a 2006 eggcamper. I think the last year Jim did the hybrid electric/gas, I still can't figure out why you would want all electric, takes some of the fun out of it. Boondocking would be harder and not many state parks have hookups. I love the propane, this gas is magic. Clean, easy to transport and I found a conversion that I think would just be James Bond on the tounge connected to the propane tank split to the water heater and gas range Honda Propane & Natural Gas Generators.

I still can't justify a generator, I guess I'll have to wait for a heatwave to break me down to buy one but my deepcycle gives me all I need at the moment.

Thinking going solar panels to charge the battery during the day if no hookups.

All best
andrew
abwegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:37 PM   #8

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Joe- Did you have a mounting bracket made to set the OWM gen. plate on? My '15 17' LD had two braces welded from the hitch mount back to the frame in front of tanks. How did you work around the angle? Any other pics,? Thanks
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Lightweight Egg Generator...
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:57 PM   #10

Texas
Floyd- I'm guessing you can also get them in white?
Old 03-29-2017, 09:12 PM   #11

Name: James Y.
Trailer: Companion
Ohio
Generator Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
Joe- Did you have a mounting bracket made to set the OWM gen. plate on? My '15 17' LD had two braces welded from the hitch mount back to the frame in front of tanks. How did you work around the angle? Any other pics,? Thanks
Click on the pictures and you can see that Joe has the LoPro LockDown system for his generator. It is not cheap, but really does enhance the security.
Jim G. - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:18 PM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Lightweight Egg Generator...
I had one just like that. But............somehow it got fried!
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:55 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
I had one just like that. But............somehow it got fried!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:34 AM   #14

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I was always told to watch out for too much weight on the tongue of my Boler 1300. I can't believe what I have seen the past few days here. One had an air conditioner, there propane bottle, and an instant hot water heater.
Even thought the frame on my trailer is in fine condition I would hesitate to put my generator on the 2X4 inch tube frame. I got a group 30 battery along with the 20# gas bottle there and worry about it.
Should I be?
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:44 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
My Casita came to me with a second position for the jack stand so is different then most. I'm told that Casita offered this option years ago, mine's a 1999 17' SD.

First I moved the propane tanks rearward about an inch or two and modified the cover's height that would accommodate 30# tanks and using a heat gun relieved the hump so there's no rubbing.

Look closely and you can see I made and welded on the "A" frame 2 threaded nut like pieces these are for the two forward Low Pro mounting screws.

I determined the front to rear position by fastening the nuts to the low pro then sliding it rearward to where they met the "A" frame rails and welded them on.

Then there's the two angle iron pieces welded on pointing rearward that the rear two bolts fasten to. Those mounting holes are slotted to allow for alignment.

I'm sure brackets could be fashioned for the Low Pro that would work with the "normal" Casita hitch area.

Shipping weight for the Low Pro was 20#, plus the Honda 50# and maybe two or three pounds for my mounts for a total of about 70# added to the tongue.
This weight being so far foward is mostly on the hitch.

If I wanted to remove the Low Pro the mounts would make a convenient way to mount a tool box.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Mounts_Above.jpg   Tanks_Moved_Back.jpg  

Base.jpg  
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:12 AM   #16

Texas
Thanks Joe.- The pics. helped a lot. I was wondering if you had to modify the factory angle iron that reinforces the hitch platform. I didn't want to have to cut or notch it. If I am seeing right, you just used another piece of angle iron to go across the factory angle iron and then a rear piece to level it out. Seems straight forward enough. I like the welded nut idea also. I don't plan on using the OMW plate if I can get around it. I am thinking of doing away with the tank covers and using the vinyl ones. It looks like a great set up but with a little search on Youtube, you can see how easy those locks are to pick. Almost any lock is easy by someone that knows how. I would like to be able to put a similar lock on the bottom of the gen. in some way. At least they would have to get down on their knees to pick it or cut it. If they want it bad enough, they will get it... Thanks again for the pics. dmad1

Tags
eggcamper, generator