Electrical - adding AC wiring to 12 volt system - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #61
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
Cat:

The trick is finding one at a reasonable price. Many panels include the converter and battery charger too, and it sounds like you have these already. As well as breaker box, try searching for:

RV Distribution panel, RV Distribution box, Bark Box (don't ask me why they are sometimes called this). They can be found new on ebay for as little as 30-40 bucks, but at your local RV dealer the prices can be much, much higher. Remember, this is only the box, you will generally have to buy the breakers separately, and they can cost a fair bit ($10-20?? each).

Perhaps someone here can recommend a specific distribution panel brand they have had success with.
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #62

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Cat,

There are plastic boxes available at the box stores that can fit thru a hole cut in a wall and have screws in the corner. When you turn the screws little wings come out from the side and hold the box between the front side tabs and the rear side wings, no studs required, no screw holes required. We used them in our kitchen when changing it from a front den to a front kitchen.

Should I sell my rig I suppose I could simply glue a box over the back of the outlet, then it would be doubly insulated.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #63

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Thanks GP,

We began this redo on the Love Bug in July of 2012. We made great progress moving right along, making mistakes, moving right along and making more mistakes. Every time redoing the mistake until it was acceptable. The acceptability bar has lowered slightly but not for this sort of thing.

Because of health issues and then in February the unexpected death of my service dog, Sebastian, things came to a halt. We are now trying to get back on track.

Anyway, when we began this project last year our plans were to be strictly DC. So I purchased a progressive dynamics 45 amp converter. It is the 9245 which only manages DC. It also tends to the battery and will incorporate solar power.

Since that time we have decided to expand the use of the camper to include some rv parks. in that case we may take along a small fridge, small microwave, coffee pot, extra fan, as well as laptops and an AC light that I use to see detail.

So as of yet, we have no materials to install AC power. 12 volt wiring is done, still have to decide on some of the lights.

Sorry if I have been confusing..
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #64

Florida
Registry
Thank you, Norm and Ginny
Old 08-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #65

Florida
Cat, We used 14 gauge wire for all circuits with 15 amp breakers. It seems perfectly adequate and is easy to run and all the distances are short. As to conduit and the like, we have never used any and haven't seen any in our trailers or motorhomes.

The only place we have run conduit is under the tow vehicle where wiring is exposed to road hazards.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #66

Florida
Registry
Thank you Norm and Ginny.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #67
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
Quote:
We began this redo on the Love Bug in July of 2012.
Thanks, I have been following your rebuild since the outset. You have done a lot of work, and have made great progress.

Quote:
Sorry if I have been confusing..
Not at all. It's hard to explain clearly in forums, particularly when different people use different terminology, and you don't know how much detail to give. I enjoy this forum because even when I know how to do something (or think I do), I often learn a better way or a new way of accomplishing a task.

Best of luck in finishing your Love Bug and getting out on the road.
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #68

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Most breaker panels designed for residential use are approx 14 1/2 " wide to fit between the wall studs (Framing that is 16" OC) and make mounting easier and enables you to flush or surface mount the panel 2) The code requirement for wire bending space in a panel board (breaker panel) was recently increased thus the breaker panels have got larger . Finding a panel small enough to fit your available space may be difficult. You can purchase breaker panels with 2,4,8,12,20,24,30,36,40,&42 breaker spaces . You can purchase a 20 circuit ,100 amp breaker panel with main breaker for less cost than a 12 circuit breaker MLO panel (supply and demand) What you are looking for is a small load center . Be sure the load center you purchase have breakers available and approved to be back fed . Breakers are designed to take power from the panel buss and the load to be connected to the breaker's screw terminal not the other way around. A breaker rated for back feeding often comes with a retaining clip to assure the breaker stays mechanically connected to the panel. ( By code the panel cover cannot be used as a means to hold the breakers in place) (The 30 amp main breaker in a trailer is a back fed breaker) One problem is with a back fed breaker is that the exposed wire terminal is energized even when the breaker is turned off.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #69

Florida
Interesting outlets with two USB charging stations from PPLMotorhomes

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #70

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Couple of suggestions, look for an older converter box with breakers, remove the old converter, and hook up your new one. I removed the old converter from my combo unit, installed my nice new to me unit (about 1-1/2 days of fiddling, (because I wasn't in a hurry)), and it now looks identical to the original unit, but has a better converter section, and it charges my battery. Also for a receptacle , try this one: Odyssey Group White Receptacle

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical