Electrical help! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #1

Name: Barbara
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 4500
Quebec
Electrical help!

We just bought our first trailer, a 1977 Trillium 4500. She's beautiful! However, since we got her home, we've been unsuccessful at getting any of our interior lights to work. The lights were working where we bought her - the gentleman had the trailer plugged in inside his garage. The trailer did not come with a battery - he always plugged in at campsites and so never bothered using his battery. He told us to make sure we switched the inverter to TRANS setting, when using the electrical extension plug, which we did. But as soon as we plugged into an outlet on the side of our house, the circuit tripped. Thought it might be the outlet - so checked by plugging in a light and it worked fine. So it seems to be something awry with the trailer. My hubbie isn't comfortable with electrical stuff and is talking about taking out the inverter to "check it out" but I'm not so sure about that! Any ideas/suggestions? I contacted the original owner who assured me he never had any problems at his home. The trailer will be stored over our long cold Canadian winter but I'm so disappointed to already have a problem, that we don't understand, before we even get one camping trip under our belts! So discouraged! The inverter is the original (I assume) Power Converter from Progressive Dynamics, Model # PD6911, Options H3W2. Transformer: Input 120 VAC, 69 Hz, 1.0 amp; Output: 12 VDC, 6 amps DC.
BarbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
If the lights worked at the P.O's, they should work at your house, too.

Was it the house circuit that tripped? If so, it may have experienced a sudden overload when you plugged the trailer in. Make sure everything in the trailer is OFF- especially check to make sure the fridge isn't set to 12v or shorepower- and try again.

Also:
I think there's a screw-in fuse in the front of that converter...do check to make sure it didn't burn out during the tripping event.

Good luck!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Check and be sure that the unused battery cables aren't shorted together during the ride home. Try plugging in with the converter in the off (usually center) position. If it has an Air Conditioner, be sure that's also turned off before connecting the power cable.

Something you want to have anyway is an outlet tester, less than $10 at most hardware stores. Try plugging it into your house outlet to check for a wiring error than hasn't shown up in the past.

The next task is to check the polarity of the wiring ( Hot, Neutral and Ground) to the trailer.

BTW: Also confirm the 120VAC wiring polarity with the outlet checker once you get it running again.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Here's a link to some literature for your converter that also shows some wiring information:

www.progressivedyn.com/pdfs/pd69xx.pdf

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
If the lights worked at the P.O's, they should work at your house, too.
Sorry cant help the OP with a Trillium question
but just want to say WELCOME back Francesca
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Is the outlet at home a ground fault
Outlet? If so try a outlet that's not gfi.
If the lights work , then it's in the trailer.
Typical problem with older trailers with the trailer plugs and outlets not grounded properly.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
The converter, (120 VAC to 12 VDC), not inverter, (12 VDC to 120 VAC) should not be able to draw much more then 1 Amp AC. Your breaker is likely a 15 Amp AC breaker. If the trailer is tripping your breaker, it may not be the converter. There may be a short circuit, or if your house is relatively new, there may be a ground fault. Is the receptacle equipped with a ground fault circuit interrupter? If so, was that what tripped? The original owner may not have had one.

If it is a ground fault, I would look at the cable from the trailer to the house. Small leakage currents will trip a ground fault circuit interrupter.

On edit: Looks like someone beat me to it.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #8

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Electrical

It could be the battery, it might need charging or replacing. If it is weak when plugged in the lights will work. But unplugged the lights are dead.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTTRV View Post
It could be the battery, it might need charging or replacing. If it is weak when plugged in the lights will work. But unplugged the lights are dead.
Chuck
I believe there is no battery Chuck, at least the PO did not have one installed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical