Electrical help and condensation issues - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Trillium.Stella's Avatar
 
Name: Ashley
Trailer: '75 13ft Trillium
British Columbia
Posts: 15
Electrical help and condensation issues

Hey Everyone,

We have the standard 110V electrical system on our Trillium and my husband wants to replace the wiring. The wiring seems quite old and one end has exposed wires. His plan is to insert a new heavy gauge electrical extension cord and attach it to a surge protector with six outlets under the sink (14-gauge wire). We plan to run the following devices off the surge protector: 110V fridge, 110V ceramic heater, charging laptops, ipad, etc. Is this recommended and considered safe? It should be noted that we no longer have 12V lighting. We're using battery powered led lights.

We are clueless when it comes to electrical. Any feedback on his idea would be greatly appreciated.

Also wanted to know if anyone else has problems with major condensation? We just took our first camping trip in 'Stella' after her complete reno and it was SO cold outside. We had so much condensation inside that the windows were dripping with water. We didn't crack the roof vent because it was so cold outside. Myself, my husband, our daughter and our dog all ended up sleeping together in the double bed just to keep warm! We were so cramped! lol
We plan on purchasing a small space heater for future trips and once we have that we can open the roof vent. Will having the roof vent open help with the condensation?

Thanks in advance for your help - hopefully it's not a faux pas to post a thread with two separate questions.


Ashley
__________________

__________________
Trillium.Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Andrew GPSMapNut's Avatar
 
Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Posts: 235
Registry
3 people and a dog in small, unventilated space will make air dump! IMHO if you cracked that roof vent an inch or so, you'd hardly loose any heat but got rid of the condensation and feel MUCH warmer.

14 gauge is not really heavy duty. It will do for hooking up to 15 Amp outlets on campsites but, that's all. More than likely, 15 Amp is all that your surge protector can handle and that may not be enough to run the heater and the fridge at the same time. Obviously, it depends on the size of the heater and the fridge.
__________________

__________________
I wish to be one day at least half as good as I think I am today. Andrew Kalinowski
Photography: http://www.FotoCanada.ca
Maps: http://www.CanadianMaps.ca
GPS hobby: www.GPSNuts.com
Andrew GPSMapNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Posts: 3,029
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Do yourself a favor and use 12 Gauge as the smallest wire. It will run an electric heater and other stuff at the same time.
__________________
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Andrew GPSMapNut's Avatar
 
Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Posts: 235
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Do yourself a favor and use 12 Gauge as the smallest wire. It will run an electric heater and other stuff at the same time.
May I ask, why? Sure, 12 Gauge can have 20 Amp protection but, 15 Amp is standard campsite outlet and trying to draw more will pop the breaker on the outlet anyway. The other (campsite) standard is 30 Amp but, to hook up to that, 10 Gauge should be used.
Also; All adaptors that I have seen that allow to plug in standard cord to 30 Amp outlet are rated for 15 Amp.
__________________
I wish to be one day at least half as good as I think I am today. Andrew Kalinowski
Photography: http://www.FotoCanada.ca
Maps: http://www.CanadianMaps.ca
GPS hobby: www.GPSNuts.com
Andrew GPSMapNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Trillium.Stella's Avatar
 
Name: Ashley
Trailer: '75 13ft Trillium
British Columbia
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew GPSMapNut
3 people and a dog in small, unventilated space will make air dump! IMHO if you cracked that roof vent an inch or so, you'd hardly loose any heat but got rid of the condensation and feel MUCH warmer.

14 gauge is not really heavy duty. It will do for hooking up to 15 Amp outlets on campsites but, that's all. More than likely, 15 Amp is all that your surge protector can handle and that may not be enough to run the heater and the fridge at the same time. Obviously, it depends on the size of the heater and the fridge.
Thanks for the info Andrew. Another reason we didn't open the vent because it was pouring rain. But it's good to know it would have made a difference. We're so amateur!
Another thing I should mention is that the campground we are going to this weekend has 30 amp hook up so we plan to buy an adaptor. Does that change any of the info you gave?
Thanks again!
Ashley
__________________
Trillium.Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 325
You weren't the only one whose windows were dripping with condensation. At the scrambled egg meet last weekend between the cool weather and rainy conditions we also had wet windows. But if there hadn't been high winds and blowing rain we would have had our windows cracked open and that would have reduced the condensation. Ventilation is the key.

Related to your question: space heater. If you mean the ceramic heater you mentioned, they work well and they're "dry heat". If you mean the kerosene or propane kind then I wouldn't go that route (again). They are "wet" heat and put more moisture into the air.

The only negative that I can think of of going the route you suggested, cord plus several outlets is that it give the illusion that you can plug in lots of items. You can but you have to be very aware of the total load. A ceramic heater on high is almost the total load that the cord and circuit breaker can handle. As long as you're very aware of how much you've got plugged in you'll be OK.

Ron
__________________
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Andrew GPSMapNut's Avatar
 
Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Posts: 235
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillium.Stella View Post
Thanks for the info Andrew. Another reason we didn't open the vent because it was pouring rain. But it's good to know it would have made a difference. We're so amateur!
Another thing I should mention is that the campground we are going to this weekend has 30 amp hook up so we plan to buy an adaptor. Does that change any of the info you gave?
Thanks again!
Ashley
Get yourself a vent cover. I got one from Canadian Tire. It is virtually identical to the one linked below but, it was $15 cheaper and I'm happy with it. RV Vent Cover | Canadian Tire Because of my storage hight, I did not mount it permanently to the roof. I just slip it on when I arrive at a campsite and take it off before I leave. It can rain all it wants and I can still have my vent open without a drop of rain coming inside.

I expect your 30 Amp adaptor to be rated for 15 Amp. You may be OK to run the heater on Low (900? 1000? Watt) and have a small fridge going at the same time without popping the breaker on the surge protector but, if you plan to plug in anything else, turn off the heater. I certainly do not recommend to use your 14 Gauge extension, plugged into 30 Amp service without a 15 Amp protection breaker.
__________________
I wish to be one day at least half as good as I think I am today. Andrew Kalinowski
Photography: http://www.FotoCanada.ca
Maps: http://www.CanadianMaps.ca
GPS hobby: www.GPSNuts.com
Andrew GPSMapNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Trillium.Stella's Avatar
 
Name: Ashley
Trailer: '75 13ft Trillium
British Columbia
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC
You weren't the only one whose windows were dripping with condensation. At the scrambled egg meet last weekend between the cool weather and rainy conditions we also had wet windows. But if there hadn't been high winds and blowing rain we would have had our windows cracked open and that would have reduced the condensation. Ventilation is the key.

Related to your question: space heater. If you mean the ceramic heater you mentioned, they work well and they're "dry heat". If you mean the kerosene or propane kind then I wouldn't go that route (again). They are "wet" heat and put more moisture into the air.

The only negative that I can think of of going the route you suggested, cord plus several outlets is that it give the illusion that you can plug in lots of items. You can but you have to be very aware of the total load. A ceramic heater on high is almost the total load that the cord and circuit breaker can handle. As long as you're very aware of how much you've got plugged in you'll be OK.

Ron
Hi Ron,

We were thinking of joining that meet up but didn't plan properly. I'm glad we didn't with all the kinks we need to work through.
We are planning to use a ceramic heater. I found a cool touch heater on usedvictoria and just waiting to hear back. We are camping in Whistler this weekend so we want that heater forsure!
I don't think we'd need the heater on high but I guess you never know. We'd need to have the fridge plugged in and running at all times and then the heater in the evening and overnight.
Hopefully we can get something together for this weekend!
Thanks for your help!
__________________
Trillium.Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Posts: 2,727
Extension cord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillium.Stella View Post
Hey Everyone,

We have the standard 110V electrical system on our Trillium and my husband wants to replace the wiring. The wiring seems quite old and one end has exposed wires. His plan is to insert a new heavy gauge electrical extension cord and attach it to a surge protector with six outlets under the sink (14-gauge wire). We plan to run the following devices off the surge protector: 110V fridge, 110V ceramic heater, charging laptops, ipad, etc. Is this recommended and considered safe? It should be noted that we no longer have 12V lighting. We're using battery powered led lights.

We are clueless when it comes to electrical. Any feedback on his idea would be greatly appreciated.

Also wanted to know if anyone else has problems with major condensation? We just took our first camping trip in 'Stella' after her complete reno and it was SO cold outside. We had so much condensation inside that the windows were dripping with water. We didn't crack the roof vent because it was so cold outside. Myself, my husband, our daughter and our dog all ended up sleeping together in the double bed just to keep warm! We were so cramped! lol
We plan on purchasing a small space heater for future trips and once we have that we can open the roof vent. Will having the roof vent open help with the condensation?

Thanks in advance for your help - hopefully it's not a faux pas to post a thread with two separate questions.


Ashley
Extension cord by design and by code (NEC) must be visible along their entire length after installation and is not allowed as a permanent concealed method of wiring. Use 14-2 or 12-2 NM, (ROMEX) it is approved for the purpose and is much less expensive than cord. It takes the same amount of time to install 14-2 as 12-2 NM so material costs are the determining factor
__________________
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Trillium.Stella's Avatar
 
Name: Ashley
Trailer: '75 13ft Trillium
British Columbia
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham
Extension cord by design and by code (NEC) must be visible along their entire length after installation and is not allowed as a permanent concealed method of wiring. Use 14-2 or 12-2 NM, (ROMEX) it is approved for the purpose and is much less expensive than cord. It takes the same amount of time to install 14-2 as 12-2 NM so material costs are the determining factor
Hi Steve,
Thanks for your reply.
What you just said is completely foreign to us. We know nothing about electrical, hence the power cord idea. It would probably be less safe for us to play around with electrical than to have a concealed power cord.

Ashley
__________________
Trillium.Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Posts: 3,029
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Andrew said: May I ask, why? Sure, 12 Gauge can have 20 Amp protection but, 15 Amp is standard campsite outlet and trying to draw more will pop the breaker on the outlet anyway.

It's just plain safer in the long run by being over engineered and the cost is totally minimal.
__________________
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Andrew GPSMapNut's Avatar
 
Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Posts: 235
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Andrew said: May I ask, why? Sure, 12 Gauge can have 20 Amp protection but, 15 Amp is standard campsite outlet and trying to draw more will pop the breaker on the outlet anyway.

It's just plain safer in the long run by being over engineered and the cost is totally minimal.
Well, so why go with 12 Gauge and be under engineered for 30 Amp service when one could go for 10 Gauge and be safe plugging into higher Amp service? IMHO 14 Gauge is good for 15 Amp service and going to 12 Gauge is just a waste of money, added weight and bulk and it does not allow one to do anything more or better than 14 Gauge would.
YMMV
__________________
I wish to be one day at least half as good as I think I am today. Andrew Kalinowski
Photography: http://www.FotoCanada.ca
Maps: http://www.CanadianMaps.ca
GPS hobby: www.GPSNuts.com
Andrew GPSMapNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
David Tilston's Avatar
 
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Posts: 5,314
Registry
I am half dozen of one and six of the other on the subject of over sizing wire. While it will not allow you to draw any more current out of a 15 amp breaker, it is a bit of a safety factor.

The wiring on my Trillium 4500 is showing its age. There are places that the wire has corroded up to an inch under the insulation. Some wires broke when I touched them. A high resistance point on a circuit, caused by corroded wires, will lead to heat at that point, thus causing additional corrosion and eventually breakage of the wire.

The additional copper in an over sized wire would delay the need to replace the wire.

I would also recommend solder and heat shrink on all splices, but there are other schools of thought.
__________________
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Posts: 3,029
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Dave said: A high resistance point on a circuit, caused by corroded wires, will lead to heat at that point, thus causing additional corrosion and eventually breakage of the wire.

Dave is correct and when the wire finally breaks it could start arching and then that could cause a fire.

Over sizing your wiring could also be a plus should you use an adapter to connect to a 30 or 50 amp service in a campground where if you were to overload a circuit in your camper it would not trip the campground breaker and this would over heat your wiring in the camper and may cause a fire.

The above is a scenario where you would not have your camper wiring fused inside the camper. Fusing (Breaker box) is something that all wired campers should have to protect against such things.
__________________

__________________
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
electrical


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electrical issues Clankster Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 34 04-19-2011 10:27 AM
Electrical Issues Debbie Ray Electrical | Charging, Systems, Solar and Generators 4 04-12-2011 11:26 AM
Condensation.... FredericL Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 4 05-13-2009 05:57 PM
Condensation bdiscount Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 37 04-26-2006 04:15 PM
condensation Legacy Posts Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 16 03-04-2003 06:37 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.