Electrical help needed! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-30-2015, 07:44 AM   #15

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The trailer lights (running) and the 12 volt interior lights should only be joined (if then) at the ground connection.
My thoughts are that the running lights should be completely separate and have their own ground and be powered from the trailer plug. There is one common and that would be the 12 volts from the TV for trailer power while connected. The grounds would be common of course.
I suggest that the ground connection from the TV pigtail be checked since the trailer power is common to that and the power is common to the trailer power as well.
My thoughts on the matter as I rewire my 16' Scamp is that each power user is wired with two wire cable and the ground is brought back to a common ground buss at my power distribution center. Each circuit group is protected by a circuit breaker and the ground for the TV pigtail is bonded to the frame and the ground buss is separately bonded as well.
In this way each circuit can be checked individually and a failure in one will not affect any other.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:04 AM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
All grounds, both in the TV and the trailer have to be common and bonded. If for no other reason than that the charging line will be compromised if otherwise. For example, it doesn't make any sense to run a heavy charging line and not have an equal sized ground wire.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:25 AM   #17

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunsy View Post

Obviously I am not an electrician or I probably would have figured this out by know. Any more ideas for me to try tomorrow?

Thanks for taking time to help.
Not necessarily. Electricians wire according to the code and there are standard practices
that most electricians follow. Homeowners or DIYers do things that make no sense to an electrician . Troubleshooting an installation done by a homeowner can be difficult because only GOD knows what crazy thing he has done. Don't get frustrated and just because it did work at one time does not mean it worked correctly or it was safe. You cannot "ASSUME " that the new converter was wired correctly or incorrectly , the problem may lie elsewhere,
When I worked in the trade , I hated trying to straighten out some homeowners mess.
Most of the time it was faster and cheaper to rip it all out and start over !!
Old 07-30-2015, 08:47 AM   #18

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Personally, you state you're not an electrician..and that's not a problem! BUT, I would consider taking it to an RV repair shop (find a reputable/recommended one if you can). These kinds of problems can cause a fire if you're not careful (shorts).

Just a thought... and be careful!
Old 07-30-2015, 10:04 AM   #19

Name: grant
Trailer: 13' burro, 13' casita, 20' nomad f/w
Texas
your tail lights have nothing in common with the 12 volt system in your trailer, tail light power is supplied from tow vehicle, along with stop/turn and etc. thru the power plug. Now since u have power to the fan thru 2 fuses u probably have both wires from fan hooked to fuse 2/3. which will supply ground thru power source, if u have a meter check for power on both wires going to the fan, if power is present remove wire from either fuse and put it to ground, hopefully this will solve u'r problem, Good luck
Old 07-30-2015, 10:16 AM   #20

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
How does a 2 wire fan run if both wires are hot ?. There would be no difference in potential across the fan motor .If one wire of the fan was hooked to fuse #2 and the other fan wire was hooked to fuse #3 ,both leads to the fan are at the same potential.

*I am assuming you are referring to a 12 VDC circuit and not a 240/480 VAC circuit,
Old 07-30-2015, 10:21 AM   #21

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I think that the bottom line is in the original title, with a pre-fix added:

On Site Electrical Help Needed

I don't think that this is a problem that can be solved by braille.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:33 AM   #22

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Wiring

!2 DC wiring seems to do some very crazy things when a good "ground" is lost and without looking into it I would say that that might be the problem. The running lights, for example, are not connected in any way to the converter. They do share the same ground.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:29 AM   #23

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I think that the bottom line is in the original title, with a pre-fix added:

On Site Electrical Help Needed

I don't think that this is a problem that can be solved by braille.
---------------------------> <--------------------------
Old 07-30-2015, 11:52 AM   #24

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
A few minutes with a multimeter and all power disconnected and taking Ohm readings should be able to find something interesting.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:01 PM   #25

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
One thing about FG trailers they depend on the ground wire(s). I wonder if the water in the camper is causing OP to look in the wrong location.

Does not the pigtail have a foot in both worlds? Running lights & house power in effect all come together there. Or at the connections to the pigtail that are sometimes just inside the trailer.

I would start testing with a meter at the pigtail plug, with and without tail light and/or fuses that seem to impact symptoms. See if house power and tail light in question have something in common they shouldn't, also the battery is up there acting as the source of power. Might as well start at end with power and just test your way back.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:22 PM   #26

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
There are not that many wires in a trailer.

Buy a $10 multimeter. Start at the plug to the tow vehicle, trace out all the wires. Make a circuit diagram while you are at it. Post the diagram. Then we can help.

But after doing that, you probably will figure it out yourself.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:54 PM   #27

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
My Scamp owners manual has a very complete wiring diagram on the back page. I would suggest that you look at it carefully. It is even in color. Take your time and work backwards from the various lights etc. Look at where each of the two wires go, one wire is power the other is ground. If you don't have the trailer wiring diagram get one from Scamp.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:02 PM   #28

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankcfx View Post
My Scamp owners manual has a very complete wiring diagram on the back page. I would suggest that you look at it carefully. It is even in color. Take your time and work backwards from the various lights etc. Look at where each of the two wires go, one wire is power the other is ground. If you don't have the trailer wiring diagram get one from Scamp.
I could not agree more which is why I supplied the link to the wiring diagram in post # 5 and suggested you go over every inch of the wiring. Big job but IMHO it needs to be done.

Frank.. please let me know if the online diagram differs from your printed copy.. thanks

Tags
electrical, scamp