electrical issues 78 surfside - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #1

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: 1978 Tripple E Surfside
British Columbia
Registry
Question electrical issues 78 surfside

so im having a few electrical issues with the surf-side, I am generally good with 12v stuff (automotive wiring) and this is just baffling me. i installed a new fantastic fan and a single din car stereo, checking all the voltage i the wires are all getting just under 12 volts (11.5 ish) but the stereo fuse just blows instantly (yes my polarity is correct) and the fan will make noise but not turn? the trailer is plugged in to my house and getting 107-109v at the inverter and all my 12v lighting is working. any help would be great as it is starting to "harsh my mellow" lol

Old 05-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
"Inverter"?

I notice you use the term more than once- is that what you're using to power up the fan and stereo?

If those fixtures are 12v:

-They need 12v power, and an "inverter" supplies 110v ( "inverted" from 12v).

-If what you have is actually a converter, which is what you need to convert 110v to 12v, then I'm out of ideas and I'm sure someone else with better suggestions will be along shortly!

Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Your a/c voltage is dangerously low, most items require 120v +/- 10%. I'd try to get that back to normal. Your 12v should be around 13 v, not under 12v. Perhaps once you get your a/c power your converter may increase your 12v output.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #4

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Your a/c voltage is dangerously low, most items require 120v +/- 10%. I'd try to get that back to normal. Your 12v should be around 13 v, not under 12v. Perhaps once you get your a/c power your converter may increase your 12v output.
that may be the issue, its all the factory equipment, might just need to spend more $$$$
Old 05-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Your 120v electric hookup, maybe your extension cord or your house outlet is the issue. Try another location and or supply cord.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #6

British Columbia
Registry
ok after gutting the entire nest of wires (20 years of "repairs") i have good voltage on from the plug for the fridge - around 117-120 and same with the outlet on the converter itself. out of the other end of it is a white/red and black wire- i have 13 volts coming out red/white combo, so I am assuming the black is 12 volt in from the vehicle (or battery once i install it) red is positive and white is negative. now that i have proper voltage I hooked the fan back up and its trying to spin but just groaning so i assume it is no good from the factory (spins freely by hand) guess i will have to call and try to get parts shipped- i bought it 3 month ago and just installed now so no dealer warranty
Old 05-08-2013, 11:56 PM   #7

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Try hooking the fan up directly to your TV's battery. You may be dropping voltage (small wires or loose connection(s)) between the source and the load.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:20 AM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I agree with Bob's idea, that will show if there is a problem in the trailer.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #9

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrocmagoo View Post
ok after gutting the entire nest of wires (20 years of "repairs") i have good voltage on from the plug for the fridge - around 117-120 and same with the outlet on the converter itself. out of the other end of it is a white/red and black wire- i have 13 volts coming out red/white combo, so I am assuming the black is 12 volt in from the vehicle (or battery once i install it) red is positive and white is negative. now that i have proper voltage I hooked the fan back up and its trying to spin but just groaning so i assume it is no good from the factory (spins freely by hand) guess i will have to call and try to get parts shipped- i bought it 3 month ago and just installed now so no dealer warranty
...My converter outputs(not INVERTER) which supply 12VDC have 3 wires: Red for positive of RV battery-for charging-, Blue for +12VDC and White for Ground. Regarding to your issue, I suspect something is wrong with your CONVERTER. First, pls using voltmeter to measure voltage of converter's outputs before connecting to...anything, NO ASSUME in electrical IMO. One more thing, make sure your fan is working by connecting to other +12VDC for testing. Just my thought...
Old 05-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #10

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Equipment that is designed to run on 120 VAC will operate on slightly lower voltage but 107 VAC is too low. I have had equipment (120 VAC Rated) that at 111 VAC would shut down on its own and then restart like nothing was wrong . When the load is removed the voltage will rise and allow restart but once started the voltage again drops to a level that causes problems . From 112 Vac to 107 Vac is the area where you are in no mans land It may work it may not
Old 05-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #11

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
Just a comment regarding the Fantastic Fan. You may already know this, but be sure to raise the roof vent cover up a few inches when trying to run it. If the vent isn't cranked up high enough, there is a limit switch which will prevent the fan from running until the roof vent is raised up far enough. Not sure if this is your problem, but it's worth mentioning because several others have thought their fans to be defective, only to find that opening the roof cover (cranking it open) solved their problem.

Also, if you are getting less than 13+ volts DC, then you have either a dead battery or a faulty converter. If a battery is only showing 12 volts, it is a dead battery. Less than 12 volts, it is a really dead battery.

As to your 120vac power. I would suggest checking that your incoming extension cord (shore power) is actually getting 120volts to the trailer. If not, I would rewire that circuit. If you are getting 120vac to the trailer, then I would suspect that your converter is no longer working properly. If you found 3 blown fuses, I would think that something fairly obvious would have caused those circuitry failures, and may have toasted your converter too. Let us know what else you find during your troubleshooting.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #12

British Columbia
Registry
The converter (that says inverter on the front from the factory) that takes my 120 and turns it to 12v also has a 12v in to 120 so i guess its both,but its only 9amp's,and after hooking the fan directly to my duel 6v batts everything worked great,so off to the rv dealer i go
Old 05-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #13

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Interesting!

What's the brand/model on that inverter/converter combination, Jeremy?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #14

British Columbia
Registry
Its made in manitoba this is the back panel the front says inverter by the 120 plug built in

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130510_134219.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	58923

Tags
electrical, surfside