Electrical Question: Auto Switch Converter - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #15

Name: Noel
Trailer: 1300 Boler -The Pine Cone
Ontario
Registry
I totally agree Tom. I would be inclined to totally isolate the recharge circuit. It wouldn't take long to drain a battery this way but would work in a pinch. I do have a master battery switch on the side of the battery box. This would be an easy test. FYI: I do have a small 2 stroke Gen but hate to use it. This is food for thought and I appreciate the input and forethought. Its a bit of a mind twister. We haven't even discussed adding 7 pin charge line from the tug.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #16

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
Switching off the battery from the charger would be the first step, but I'd personally avoid letting power get to the AC/DC converter at all. Even with no/low load I'd expect there to be some loss.
Right, I was trying to keep it simple.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #17

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Really seems like converters should be made to handle this issue. Perhaps this one is, still unclear about the "inverter friendly" thing.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #18

Ontario
Registry
dylanear
Yes this is still unclear. Perhaps some others have yet to weigh in on this topic before I call parallax.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #19

Ontario
Registry
I spoke with Parallax today. Using the generator outlet is not the recommended configuration. I have updated the drawing to reflect an acceptable configuration. There are a lot of ways people can get into trouble when doing this type of thing. For instance, they recommend turning off the DC converter breaker to eliminate the draw on the battery to recreate 12V current. The problem is that there is no way to prevent someone from providing dual 110V service to this unit from an inverter and shore power at the same time. Obviously a big no no. So, the way to keep things straight is to use the shore power cord/outlet for both the Inverter or shore power. ONE AT A TIME. As far as the Generator outlet is concerned, it is strictly reserved for the use of a Generator only. I hope this clears things up a little.
Attached Thumbnails
Can I do this_new.jpg  
Old 07-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #20

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
according to my math
50 amp from battery X 12v=600 watts/120v= 5 amp
there is not enough juice after 20% efficiency drop from 12v to 120v back to 12v
even if you plugged in a charger to your inverter, a trickle charger, you would still lose 20%

Tags
electrical