Electrical setup - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2016, 12:42 PM   #1

Name: Josh
Trailer: 1975, 13' Scamp
Minnesota
Electrical setup

I have a 75 scamp. All interior/exterior lights are LEDs. The only appliances I have running on 12 volt battery are my exhaust fan, my interior lights, and the furnace fan. I am hoping to get a converter set up to recharge my battery when connected to shore power, with the potential of adding solar to charge my battery at a later date.

I have a PD9130 converter and charge wizard. From reading other's posts, it looks light most people have a control panel in the mix.

Is a control panel necessary? Does anyone have advice for wiring my converter to the system?

Thanks for the help!
Josh Wink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
you will need some kind of fuse panel after the converter so that you can protect the 12v devices you have, these are available for a reasonable price, and are not hard to hook up, a main feed from the converter to the fuse-block, then individual lines out to each device from the fuses. A combination panel would be better if you plan on having any AC devices or plugs, I took my old combination panel out, ripped out the old converter( basically a transformer and rectifier circuit not able to charge batteries), and installed the same converter you have in its place(the old converter portion) then I re-installed the main unit back in place, and I had all the fuses I needed, and breakers for my 110v equipment.
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:44 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I agree with Joe. You'd probably want a distribution block (in a panel or screwed to something permanent. Run the positive to one end and more fuse receptacles than you need right now. One separate lug for all the negatives to connect to. They're all common and run back to the negative, and ultimately to the battery negative post. You want the fuse in the positive lines not the negative.

I've seen fuses out there (the blade fuses) that light up when they're blown. I'm of two minds about them but I'm using them on a trial basis. The theory being that's it's quicker to spot a blown fuse.

Alternatively, you can put in-line fuses in all the individual positive lines to your accessories but then it's hunting for all the positive lines to check the fuses. It's mostly a convenience to have them all in one spot.

Generally, the converter, which runs off of a/c current, should have it's own circuit breaker. RV panels usually have both some a/c breakers and a number of dc fuses all in one spot. But again, you could put the a/c breaker for the converter in it's own spot somewhere but I would suggest you have a breaker in there somewhere. Plus another breaker to protect any a/c receptacles. If you have a microwave or air conditioner I don't think it's a bad idea if they're on their own line with their own breaker.

I wouldn't want to depend on the a/c breaker on the post to protect the a/c equipment in my trailer. Your tolerance for risk may be different from mine but you did ask for opinions.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:43 PM   #4

Minnesota
Thanks Steve and Joe for the feedback!

I'm not sure if this is helpful, and maybe its obvious, but I'll just lay it all out there:
- I have one light above the sink, and 3 standard plug ins connected to 120 volt shore power
- I have the reading lights, the range fan, and the furnace fan connected to 12 volt
- I have a 4-prong and a 6-prong connector on the trailer, and only a 4 prong on the tow vehicle.

I like the current system, which I think is original, but I would like to be able to charge the battery when I am plugged into shore power via the converter. I also want to be able to charge the battery through this system via solar down the road.

Do you think this fuse panel would be a good option?
12V RV Fuse Box
If so, I may get this as a starting point.

I wish I knew more about this stuff. Again, thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:33 AM   #5

Registry
That panel looks like a pretty good unit. A cover for protection against inadvertent shorting, appropriate buses for the common connections, 9 fuses seems plenty. Use appropriately sizes fuses for the circuits. A label to identify the accessories.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:58 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
On older trailers I use Blue Seas marine panels. They really clean up the wiring mess on older trailers. I always order with cover and individual ground lugs.
Eddie
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...eas+fuse+block
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:09 AM   #7

Minnesota
Thanks again Steve, That panel comes with what looks to be a pretty good wiring diagram. I'll try to get the system hooked up when it arrives!

Josh
Old 08-07-2016, 03:18 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
On older trailers I use Blue Seas marine panels. They really clean up the wiring mess on older trailers. I always order with cover and individual ground lugs.
I really like the Blue Seas stuff as well. I use a lot of marine hardware and electric fittings on the trailer. Usually stainless, fairly robust to corrosion and well made. More expensive but I'll pay for quality.

Tags
electrical