Electrical switches - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #29

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
Okay, thanks for that.

Back to my question: can I use a switch rated for 24vdc in a 12vdc environment "legally"?

Legally speaking are you going to have a problem with 12 volt switch gear in a system charging anywhere from 12.7 volts to 15 volts? Looks to me like you need 24 volt switches to keep the Legal Beagles off your back should something happen.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #30

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post

But, there is a current and voltage rating for a reason.
I explained that already.

I'm not sure where the "oil' you're referring to is located, around relay coils (contactor)? Surely not around the contacts.

Capacitors across the contacts are sometimes used to reduce arcing.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #31

Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Changes in current ratings vs voltage ratings.

Automotive and heavy equipment switches made by Valeo specification on voltage/current "Electrical performance: From 20 mA to 16 A at 12V. From 20 mA to 8A at 24V."

The reason for the lower current at the higher voltage (24 volts) is these switches are rated for inductive loads. The reason these are listed this way is because they're used in such a manner that they almost always switch some sort of motor or relay. However this has nothing to do with resistive loads. Note the low current specification, the contacts are NOT gold therefore the 20 mA low end rating.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #32

Oregon
Registry
Oil bath blurb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I explained that already.

I'm not sure where the "oil' you're referring to is located, around relay coils (contactor)? Surely not around the contacts.

Capacitors across the contacts are sometimes used to reduce arcing.
If you can believe what's on the internet, this a quote for GEM manufacturing.

Contacts:
The contacts are immersed in oil bath which enables smooth and cool operation thus offering long life. The contacts made up of Electrolytic copper and brass are suited for vigorous duty. Wear and tear of the contacts are less, compared to air break starters, enhancing the life of the starters.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #33

Oregon
Registry
Back to the OP

Quote:
I am less than satisfied with the quality and aesthetics of typical 12VDC switches both those for automotive use as well as RV.

Are there any good looking light switches (and cover plates) available anywhere that will function properly and safely with 12VDC power?

Here are a couple examples of the look I'm going for...
There's lots of options that you could use, look at electronic catalogs for switches and there's tons of them. I add some CCFL lights to my trailer and I'm 3/4" round rocker switches that I got a Radio Shack (shudder). I think you're using LED lighting, if so, almost any switch will work just fine therefore you can use styling as your main concern.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #34

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
If you can believe what's on the internet, this a quote for GEM manufacturing.

Contacts:
The contacts are immersed in oil bath which enables smooth and cool operation thus offering long life. The contacts made up of Electrolytic copper and brass are suited for vigorous duty. Wear and tear of the contacts are less, compared to air break starters, enhancing the life of the starters.
This is not really the place for a discussion on utility breakers, but bulk oil, min oil and SF6 breakers are about breaking the arc. And Yes, the contacts are immersed in oil. The SF6 breakers don't use oil.

The only point I am trying to make is that current carrying capacity is not the only design consideration. Interrupting capacity is also important. This is why the DC rating is different from the AC rating for a switch.

From the specs of a pressure switch that my company sells:
11 amps, 1/4 hp at 125, 250 VAC; 5 amps resistive, 3 amps inductive 28 VDC;
.5 amps resistive at 28 VDC

Note that 11 amps at 250 VAC becomes 0.5 amps resistive at 28 VDC
Old 12-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #35

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by david tilston View Post
this is not really the place for a discussion on utility breakers, but bulk oil, min oil and sf6 breakers are about breaking the arc. And yes, the contacts are immersed in oil. The sf6 breakers don't use oil.

The only point i am trying to make is that current carrying capacity is not the only design consideration. Interrupting capacity is also important. This is why the dc rating is different from the ac rating for a switch.

From the specs of a pressure switch that my company sells:
11 amps, 1/4 hp at 125, 250 vac; 5 amps resistive, 3 amps inductive 28 vdc;
.5 amps resistive at 28 vdc

note that 5 amps resistive at 250 vac becomes 0.5 amps resistive at 28 vdc

just plan wrong...

Automotive and heavy equipment switches made by Valeo specification on voltage/current "Electrical performance: From 20 mA to 16 A at 12V. From 20 mA to 8A at 24V."
Old 12-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #36
Commercial Member

Name: Robert
Trailer: Nest Caravans
Oregon
Registry
Gentlemen, gentlemen!

Can we agree that, within our 12VDC travel trailer environment, a DC-rated, 24VDC switch is perfectly acceptable to control a bank of LED light fixtures drawing no more than 15 watts?
Old 12-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #37

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
just plan wrong...

Byron,

What you have posted is just a comparison of two DC current ratings, lower at a higher voltage. Common sense. But the discussion is about AC ratings vs. DC ratings. If a switch is rated at 20 amps AC, it may have a much lower DC rating.

The specs that I posted are not "just plan wrong". They are determined by the manufacture through testing and research. Why do you say they are wrong?
Old 12-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #38

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Gentlemen, gentlemen!

Can we agree that, within our 12VDC travel trailer environment, a DC-rated, 24VDC switch is perfectly acceptable to control a bank of LED light fixtures drawing no more than 15 watts?
I would be comfortable saying that a 28VDC switch should be fine at 12VDC with the same current rating. At 15 watts, the current should not be much over 1 amp.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #39

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Ul

UL is a recognized testing and certifying lab. I installed a sign for a store in the Mall Of America. The sign came out of the south and did not have a UL sticker . I pointed this out to the store owner and the Mall of America . The store owner said install the sign over the objections of the Mall of America
The electrical inspector asked "Where is the UL sticker" and I explained the situation .Well we took the sign back out ,shipped it back to the manufacturer for reinspection and application of a UL sticker per UL standards
Electrical equipment is required to be certified by a recognized testing authority and the local enforcing authority (inspector) has the power to interpret the NEC . NO you can NOT just ship up a sticker and stick it on the equipment on site and be in UL compliance. This issue is a constant problem with pieces of equipment built overseas . I had a $6 000,000 German printing press sitting idle for 6 months waiting for UL certification Some parts of the country enforce the NEC others do not
Old 12-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #40

Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
oooh oooh oooh..........sulfur-hexaflouride, I never thought I'd see that in a fiberglass trailer discussion!!!
I don't think you could fit that switch in a camper.

Here is a well thought out article that should clear up what is trying to be said: www.eaa.org/sportaviationmag/2005/0502_switches.pdf‎

I am an electrician, and I do wire in DC frequently. Read the rating, respect the rating, and use the right piece of kit. You might get away with something else, or you might not.

just my 2 cents
Old 12-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #41
Commercial Member

Name: Robert
Trailer: Nest Caravans
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I would be comfortable saying that a 28VDC switch should be fine at 12VDC with the same current rating. At 15 watts, the current should not be much over 1 amp.
I don't know if it makes much difference, but I am defining the switch as 24VDC, not 28VDC.

Nevertheless, the DC-rated switches I have found are rated at 3amps.

Just want to ensure that my switches pass inspection...
Old 12-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Robert, you could use a 12V DC switch similar to these:

Escape uses switches very similar to these in their trailers. I saw the above pics on the Yahoo shopping site and similar pics (with other colors) on EBay, so I am sure you can find them if you are interested:

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical