Electrical switches - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #71

Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Ok guys, this is starting to seem a little tense, lets agree to disagree shall we?

Old 12-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #72

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Tell me Byron, do you thing Parkliner has consulted with an electrical engineer, or Lil Snoozy, or EggCamper. All 3 of these companies have managed without the "experts" so it can be done.

It's really not worth fussing about.
As far as those you mentioned the jury is still out as to whether they'll be around long term, I have my doubts.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #73

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Tell me Byron, do you thing Parkliner has consulted with an electrical engineer, or Lil Snoozy, or EggCamper. All 3 of these companies have managed without the "experts" so it can be done.
Tell me Jim, where did you get the information that you posted above?
Old 12-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #74
Commercial Member

Name: Robert
Trailer: Nest Caravans
Oregon
Registry
Hey Byron,

When we get Nest up and running, I'd be happy to invite you to our production facility here in Bend. If you can help us deliver a better product, your expertise would be most welcomed.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #75

Name: Trent
Trailer: Burro
Oregon
Anybody want to talk about politics?

Just kidding, that's the wine talking. Learned a lot from this thread.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #76

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Politics? That's my expertise.......but it is forboten here.......LOL

I like what I've seen so far in the Nest Trailer.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #77

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
When we get Nest up and running...
Robert, apologies for diverting this thread - fascinating though it be - but I finally put 2 and 2 together and realized that Nest Caravans is your start up.
Just checked out your Nest web site - Stunning !!!

I'm just wrapping up two years of weekends spent renovating a Scamp and now you've got me lusting for a Nest. Thanks a lot buddy!
Old 12-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #78

Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Hey Byron,

When we get Nest up and running, I'd be happy to invite you to our production facility here in Bend. If you can help us deliver a better product, your expertise would be most welcomed.
I'm sorry, but giving you any advice seems to be a pretty dangerous thing around here. You asked for advice, I gave it and I got beat up. I think I've been beat up enough.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:08 PM   #79

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Hey Byron,

One more thing I learned a long time ago that giving even paid advice to an "expert" is not worth the effort. You asking me to come over to the dry side and give you free advice is like me asking you to bring a one of your "nest" trailers over to wet side and give it away. My fees are lot more than free.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #80

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I've given my last response to this thread. Believe what you want. I tried to help the OP but the back yard mechanics have the floor.
I am really enjoying this discussion.

BK, my count shows you making about 7 additional posts after having given your last response on this thread.

Robert, selection of DC switches for use in a new line of fiberglass trailers does not really require the input of an electrical engineer. However, even if you are qualified to do your own electrical work, it would be good practice for a trailer manufacturer such as Nest to have your electrical details/plans reviewed by an expert in those types of installations. This helps to avoid problems that could come back to haunt you later on.

In my own field of engineering, independent technical reviews are commonplace and required on all technical work carried out by our company.

cheers

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #81

Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
I am assuming that since my 1978 Trillium has CSA approval, you could get CSA to inspect your trailer, and tell you if it meets code. I believe the applicable standard can be purchased at:
CAN/CSA-Z240 RV SERIES-08 (R2013) | Factory Built Buildings (Including Mobile Homes) | ShopCSA

UL documents are also available:
Scope for UL 234
Old 12-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #82

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I am assuming that since my 1978 Trillium has CSA approval, you could get CSA to inspect your trailer, and tell you if it meets code. I believe the applicable standard can be purchased at:
CAN/CSA-Z240 RV SERIES-08 (R2013) | Factory Built Buildings (Including Mobile Homes) | ShopCSA
If CSA operates down here, that's an excellent suggestion, David!

That "seal of approval" would certainly convey the attention-to-detail thing Nest is trying to get across. And I think it would make the Nest the only U.S. fiberglass trailer that could be directly imported into Canada without a buyer having to jump through RIV program hoops. How great would THAT look in a brochure?

Here quoting from link:

Quote:
You can import a vehicle from the United States without registering it in the RIV program if ...............snip........................
The vehicle was originally manufactured and certified to meet Canadian safety standards.
I think this beats the heck out of my earlier similar suggestion re. RIVA certification/standards- there's only one province in Canada (Alberta) that accepts that instead of the CSA seal. Well, so far, at least....a couple of others have been considering the change.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #83

Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Well, I know that FM will do inspections to CSA standards. This looks like cFM. I am fairly sure that I have also seen a cUL logo.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #84

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
If CSA operates down here, that's an excellent suggestion, David!

That "seal of approval" would certainly convey the attention-to-detail thing Nest is trying to get across. And I think it would make the Nest the only U.S. fiberglass trailer that could be directly imported into Canada without a buyer having to jump through RIV program hoops. How great would THAT look in a brochure?

Here quoting from link:

Quote:
You can import a vehicle from the United States without registering it in the RIV program if ...............snip........................
The vehicle was originally manufactured and certified to meet Canadian safety standards.

I think this beats the heck out of my earlier similar suggestion re. RIVA certification/standards- there's only one province in Canada (Alberta) that accepts that instead of the CSA seal. Well, so far, at least....a couple of others have been considering the change.
Francesca I suspect the above may be a bit of misinformation posted by an RV Center website. Best to stick with the actual Canadian Government RIV website for the list of actual exemptions to having to put the trailer through the RIV program. For most of us the rule is if its newer than 15 years it goes through the RIV program even if it was built in Canada to start with - just ask those who have purchased a used Bigfoot state side and brought it back to Canada. ;-)

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical