ENERWATT SOLAR EWC-30 Solar Controller - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2014, 06:20 AM   #1

Name: Robert
Trailer: Pleasure Way
British Columbia
ENERWATT SOLAR EWC-30 Solar Controller

This solar charger works great but I have one concern. When I am plugged into 110 power the Red LED is on, The Blue LED and the 1/4 Amber LED flash. I quickly unplugged the power and everything went back to what it should be. Is this pointing to a problem and how would I fix it? Thanks
Attached Files
Robert50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:59 AM   #2

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
I don't know anything about this unit, but from what is shown, you have power from the solar cells, but they aren't charging the battery. When you go to AC the battery is showing discharged and the converter is charging the batteries.

Is this a stock setup or did you install it yourself?

In either case, read the manual. If it's a stock setup, check with the trailer manufacturer. If you installed it yourself, double check all of your connections.

We could all be more helpful with more information. Right now we are limited in what we can suggest.

Clif
The Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:23 AM   #3

British Columbia
This was installed last year in Calgary. This was the first time being outside and plugged into 110 and I noticed the leds. I quickly unplugged as I didn't want any thing to mess up. It was installed by a rv company which I emailed but it seems like I'm on my own. This is installed in a 1988 dodge camper van so I can't see the builder being any help. I do know that when on solar it does charge the batteries. I just don't want to blow up my solar system.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:04 AM   #4

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
The manual I found on line, such as it is, says that a flashing red light indicates 'output terminal open circuit, short circuit or reversed polarity." Check your wiring carefully.

On travel trailers there is normally a converter that converts AC to DC and also charges the battery. What is the setup on your van?

If you don't have a manual, here is the reference: http://www.buyabattery.com/enerwatts...-30_Manual.jpg

It's really the engineering specs, but it does give the LED chart and other useful information.
The Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:23 AM   #5

British Columbia
I don't believe that I can charge the batteries from AC, only from DC. Where that batteries are stored the hole was a butcher job so I can't believe that that was a factory install and was I think that it was done at a later date. I will try and fine converter. I know that when I plug into 110 that I hear a click which I assume is a relay. Would a converter make a click sound? Would a converter be incorporated with a fuse box? It would be nice to know what to look for.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:43 PM   #6

Name: C
Trailer: Bullet
Alberta
Same thing happened to me, but now nothing lights up, doesn't seem to be working at all. Did you find the solution to the problem?
New World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:55 PM   #7

British Columbia
The error was indicating that when plugged into 110 volts that enerwatt was not finding the batteries. I figure that a relay isolates the 12v when plugged into 110 so the error code.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:00 PM   #8

British Columbia
I have the manual if that would help out. Its no the greatest but better than nothing

Tags
solar