Fantastic fan and flickering of interior lights - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #15

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
This morning I had occasion to clean the trailer with fan and lights on. In approx. 3 minutes, the lights started flickering. Apparently did not wait long enuf yesterday evening. This is NOT progress! In desperation, I tested the "undersize conductor" theory to make absolutely certain that's not the glitch. I hooked up 12/3 SJ cable that I had on hand eliminating the ground of course. Lights still flickering. Got to be the converter or the converter in concert with the fan control as suggested by Lamimartin.

jack

Old 09-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #16

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
If your converter has a smart charger it will stop charging for a millisecond, sample the battery voltage, and then either start charging again or change to a float charge level however it will continue to do the sampling. When you disconnected the battery it stopped checking.

OR: Could you have something wrong with the battery. It is rare but it happens. My son had a battery explode in the car one day when he started it. We suspect it had some kind of a short inside and the spark ignited the gas. The battery was located inside the trunk thus not vented like it would have been if it was under the hood.

If you can check the water levels inside the battery (One with the caps on top) use a Hydrometer (Around $5 at an auto store) to check that you do not have a bad cell.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #17

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
How much R U going to charge for the movie rights to this story as it is truly a mystery.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #18

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
How much R U going to charge for the movie rights to this story as it is truly a mystery.
Battery 6 mo. old dual purpose NAPA battery. Probably not ideal for the deep cycle application but what I have. As stated by me previously, the fan AND lights function fine on battery with the converter out of the loop (as it would be without shore power). I have no idea of the intelligence of this Trimark converter; it is probably about 13 yrs. old and presumably would have 13+ yr. old technology. The movie rights to "el Conejo y el Burro" are gratis but I want total say on final cut and rabbit must be played by Brad Pitt.

jack
Old 09-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #19

Delaware
Another Go Figure? moment this afternoon. I moved the hot side from one fuseblock terminal to another unused one. The first said "radio" on the ancient paper sticker; second unlabeled. Flicker gone. Can't really be certain I didn't have a faulty connection but I always run the terminal screw in with authority so maybe maybe not. Lights and fan on for most of the afternoon to check for further surprises and didn't get any. I can't imagine what is so sensitive in this hookup. Thanks to everyone for their advice.

jack
Old 09-20-2011, 07:40 AM   #20

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Good news and congratulations! I admire your tenacity.

Clif
Old 09-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #21

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Do you have the old glass tube type fuses? My Burro had that and the clips that hold the fuses in place are riveted on which don't make for good connections. I replaced that fuse block with a more common ATC blade type fuse block. Symptoms were that my lights flickered whenever my furnace turned on.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #22

Delaware
Yes, the trailer has tube fuses but only 5 were in use. I hadn't considered loose fuse clips . When I got the trailer, the bakelite base of the fuse block installed had suffered melting from arcing of the DC feed. While exploring I found a new one which PO apparently purchased but didn't install. I labeled all the leads to match the paper label on the chasis, switched out the block, and replaced the leads. The end clips did tend to rotate on the old one; quite tight on the replacement; nonetheless, I would prefer a defect in the electrical bonding of the fuse clips of one empty circuit to finding a wizard to check out the converter.

jack

Tags
lights