Fill level on a deep cycle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2017, 01:11 AM   #1

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Fill level on a deep cycle

Been a long time since I bought or used a deep cycle wet battery. But in the past I recall they were filled to the bottom of the "tube" going down from each cell cap.

Just bought a group 27 and all the cells appear even but the are all about 3/16 to maybe a 1/4 inch below those tubes.

I was about to go grab some distilled water and then got to thinking maybe I'm not remembering correctly on how full the cells should be.

Anyone know how far below the caps a conventional wet battery should be filled?
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:54 AM   #2

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Google is mighty useful. It was late and I was trying to get a top charge before use so I sort of panicked in the wee hours.

Found this:
Quote:
Batteries should be watered AFTER charging UNLESS plates are exposed before charging. If exposed, plates should be covered by approximately 1/8″ of water. Check water level after charging. The water level should be kept 1/4″ below the bottom of the fill tube in the cell cover
So mine are properly filled, properly trickle charged and are going to get properly (we hope) hooked up in my new tongue mounted battery box.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:33 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I am not even going to google this.. and just give an opinion. Add enough water to fully cover the plates and then a little more so that the plates do not become exposed due to evaporation before the next time you check the water level, but not so much that the water (acid) bubbles up and out of the battery during a heavy charge cycle or when the battery experiences normal amounts of tilting and movement on the road.

The important thing is that the plates are not exposed.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:15 AM   #4

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
All good advise so far. Make sure the plates are covered with electrolyte before you charge. The battery may heat up during charging, the electrolyte expand and the level rise. After charging you may need to top up with DISTILLED, not tap water to the bottom of the fill tubes. Water is consumed during the charging cycle and needs to be replaced as necessary. Excessive water consumption is a sign of battery problems.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:31 AM   #5

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
As above, I fill to the bottom of the fill tubes. The key is not to cover the slots in the sides of the tubes, they are there specifically to allow the gas produced during charging to escape. If you cover them, the gas pressure will push the electrolyte out of the caps.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:34 AM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
All good advise so far. Make sure the plates are covered with electrolyte before you charge. The battery may heat up during charging, the electrolyte expand and the level rise. After charging you may need to top up with DISTILLED, not tap water to the bottom of the fill tubes. Water is consumed during the charging cycle and needs to be replaced as necessary. Excessive water consumption is a sign of battery problems.

..or a sign of over-charging the battery. Check your charging source.
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #7

Name: Bill & Jeanie
Trailer: Building camper in Ram Promaster van
North Carolina
I fill my GCB's to the bottom of the fill tube when they are fully charged. I generally use a flashlight and carefully add water till I see a curved water surface around the periphery of he opening. What's happening is that when the electrolyte touches the fill tube capillary action makes it curve upward. A little hard to explain but once you try it you will easily be able to recognize the change in appearance of the surface when it is at the correct level.
wbullivant is offline   Reply With Quote