Flickering lights on 110 Not battery - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #15

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
Sounds like a dead converter

How old is the converter? I assume the converter is still charging the battery since otherwise your battery would be dead as door nail in not very much time. My best guess is that the electrolytic capacitors in the converter have dried up. The capacitors are the large cylinders. Carefully unsolder them and simply order components with same capacitance and voltage rating and approximate package size from Digikey. The specifications are written on the packaging. Remember to mark which contact was marked with a stripe since that is ground. If you put them in backward they have a habit of lighting on fire. Shouldn't cost you more than $5 bucks+shipping.

If that is not the problem or you are scared by electronics simply buy a new converter. A new converter will be safer and will save you money by treating your battery better nicely. Size your converter based what you are using in terms of 12 V power. If it just the lights, switch to LED and buy a small cheap battery charger.

Consider switching to LED lights and a solar panel unless you are using a lot of other electrical appliances.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'd remove the fan and try to see if it runs independent of the converter, it appears to be stuck or the converter is pulsing. If the fan is ok out side the unit, order a new converter.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #17

Name: Aaron
Trailer: currently shopping
Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinScamps View Post
How old is the converter? I assume the converter is still charging the battery since otherwise your battery would be dead as door nail in not very much
I put a charger on the battery and it read 100 percent charged after leaving it plugged in all night.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #18

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by arashaw View Post
Upon visual inspection, the fan is "pulsing but not spinning." It wants to go every time there is a tick/pulse of electricity. The noise is coming out right from the fan.
Replace the fan or the whole converter. I had the same problem recently, I replaced the fan and the board because the new fan wouldn't plug-in directly to the old board. I have converters in stock for project trailers.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #19

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I agree with those that indicated the converter is probably at fault without going into the technical discussion.
Now the real question. Do you really need a converter. I turned the breaker off on mine two years ago and after 250 to 300 nights out without hookups I haven't missed the converter one bit.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #20

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I agree with those that indicated the converter is probably at fault without going into the technical discussion.
Now the real question. Do you really need a converter. I turned the breaker off on mine two years ago and after 250 to 300 nights out without hookups I haven't missed the converter one bit.

Tags
battery, lights