Fuse Under front Bunk on Scamp and shorting out - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2017, 05:33 AM   #41

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Just waking up and enjoying all of the information left for me since last logging in.
HUGE thank you!
I'm going try a few things as suggested.

I haven't converted it back to a 7 pin connection yet.
The shop spent most of their time cleaning up that area modified by the previous owner. I think they said some of the wires were crossed wrong under the electrical tape. So I had high hopes that the fuse wouldn't blow while driving.

Yes, the 12 volt system works great all during my stay at the campground. I use it to run 2 lights and my fantastic fan. The fan stays on for hours. It's only when I arrive home that somewhere between the fuse has blown.
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:30 AM   #42

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggeee View Post
I'd probably start by replacing the four yellow connectors.
Buggeee, I realize you were referring to these: (Those connectors are now gone as the repair shop cut all of that off.)
Old 10-06-2017, 06:42 AM   #43

California
Registry
I'm studying this diagram:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/d...gram_Scamp.pdf

The only wires I should be concerned with at this time are the black and white correct?

I only use the two interior lights and fantastic fan with my 12 volt battery.
I'm trying to simplify the enormity of the project from a newbie point of view. So if all I have to do is follow the black and white wires, that seems doable.

I did go to HarborFreight and buy the 7 Function digital multimeter. I did learn how to use it to check the state of my 12 volt battery so far.

I feel badly not knowing the inner workings of this 12 volt system, but in my career (Algebra teacher), I've never had to study it.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:01 AM   #44

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
thinking

lisa I urge you to join a camper club you need more help than can be given here there are people in those clubs who live to help people I know. Look on the net do a search.

Now in trying to get you to understand 12v I don't want you messing with 110. Think of your 12v this is your power lets get that straight 12v runs most of your unit except a/c if you have it some other things.

Ready think of 12v as water if there is a valve somewhere and it is turned off it will stop your flow. Same way with 12v but your fuses burn up when they encounter something not right in your case a short in your wiring. I know you don't understand any of this, this is why you need a person to come help you!

Do you know the previous owner?

best of luck

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:07 AM   #45

California
Registry
k0wtz, I don't know the previous owner.
I took my Scamp to an RV shop because I didn't want to burden anyone with my problem. Although it seems I don't mind bugging you all here with it.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:23 AM   #46

Missouri
No but I just cant help much without seeing what can be going on. You need to find a person to help you this isn't rocket science and there are people out there.

good luck

bob
Old 10-06-2017, 07:40 AM   #47

California
Registry
Is this a ground to frame wire?

As an aside, this switch is in my Scamp over the 12 volt light. I have to have it in the high or low position for the Fantastic fan to work. Do fantastic fans have to have that auxiliary switch?
Old 10-06-2017, 08:32 AM   #48

Missouri
lisa I don't know I have one I cannot make it work been doing other stuff right now and cool. I need to track down to see if I have 12v to it or not.

problems problems problems make a list you must find a campers club that is what they are for.

best of luck

bob
Old 10-06-2017, 10:10 AM   #49

California
Registry
First thing I did was remove wires from the 12 volt battery, in other words, unhook it. I do not have my shore power plugged in either.

I am beginning by familiarizing myself with where wires are going. I suspect the weird switch that is above my 12v light. I do not know what the benefit of that 3 wire switch is.
I looked at the fantastic fan install video on YouTube and it shows two wires, a black and white....not sure why mine has morphed into three wires?
These are the wires at the left of the overhead cabinet over my sink.

These are the wires going to that odd ball switch:
Old 10-06-2017, 10:24 AM   #50

Missouri
lisa

lisa I just did a search for camping clubs in California many hits even camping clubs for women!

please try this and find a local club to help you you will drive yourself crazy trying to figure this out1

take my advice and give it a look people love to help other people! I know maybe you don't understand it but they do!!

bob
Old 10-06-2017, 10:44 AM   #51

California
Registry
k0wtz, I will look into joining a club, I just don't want my introduction to be needing help straight away.

BUT, back to familiarizing myself with wires.
Could this be the culprit????

It seems that it might have been rubbing against some screws that come in from the fantastic fan. The wires were sort of nestled in that bubble wrap insulation.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:46 AM   #52

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
Is this a ground to frame wire?

As an aside, this switch is in my Scamp over the 12 volt light. I have to have it in the high or low position for the Fantastic fan to work. Do fantastic fans have to have that auxiliary switch?
Yes that is a ground to frame wire and from the size of it it looks like it's for your household current. So you have a floating ground at least for your household current, let's assume that you also have one for your 12-volt as well. Don't mess with it. Just be aware that your frame may be acting as a large neutral wire for not only your household current but also your 12-volt wiring while you're watching for places that a 12-volt hot wire might be shorting.

The three wire fan switch is not necessary for the fan you have now. It must have run an old two speed fan. The top wire for fast speed would be connected to the fast circuit on that old fan and the bottom wire would likely be connected to the low circuit with the middle wire likely being the power feed from the battery. For now don't mess with it, just see that the connections are all secure and clean. If you were to open up your fantastic fan connections in the ceiling wherever it was wired in, you would likely find that the single black wire from the fantastic fan has been attached to both of the wires coming from that switch the high and the low. This way either way that switch is thrown it will provide power to your fan. Once power is supplied the switch on the fan operates it the way it was meant to be. You could eliminate that switch in the wall but then you'll have a hole there so for now make a note of it is all.

The group of heavy stiff solid copper wires that you found that have the yellow twist-on caps on them are household current - that is high voltage don't mess with any of those when you find them.

Now you see what that looks like you will recognize the household circuits. Flexible wire or what we call stranded wire can also be used for household circuits though so whenever you find a fat one make sure you figure out whether it's 120 volt or just for low-voltage 12-volt.

Are we having fun yet? It's got to feel good just taking a look at everything to see what it all is. That's all you're doing at this point so enjoy your tour of your camper.
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:50 AM   #53

California
Registry
Fuse Under front Bunk on Scamp and shorting out

Buggeee I am feeling great! Maybe I found the problem. What do you think?

Name:   IMG_4960.JPG
Views: 43
Size:  67.0 KB

Name:   Image1507308822.179930.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  77.7 KB
Old 10-06-2017, 10:53 AM   #54

OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
k0wtz, I will look into joining a club, I just don't want my introduction to be needing help straight away.

BUT, back to familiarizing myself with wires.
Could this be the culprit????

It seems that it might have been rubbing against some screws that come in from the fantastic fan. The wires were sort of nestled in that bubble wrap insulation.
BINGO. TAPE THE HELL OUT IF THAT. AND THE WIRES NEXT TO THAT ONE.

Oh man you're good. Don't stop now. Get to know every inch. There may be others.

Warning: this is as addictive as a good espresso. You'll be installing a battery bank and solar before you know what happened to you.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:57 AM   #55

California
Registry
Happy dance!
Okay now that I have found at least one faulty location I want to remove that switch and put in something useful.
Maybe a 12 volt cigarette adapter or a USB charger?

Name:   IMG_4961.JPG
Views: 46
Size:  71.8 KB
Old 10-06-2017, 11:25 AM   #56

OH
My preference is a 12v socket because you can push in a USB or any number of assecories into a cigarette lighter socket.

Don't do that right now though. Those wires are powering your fan right now. The fan might be on a dedicated circuit (meaning not shared with other 12v things), mine is. These fans can be energy hogs at high speeds so sharing the power demand with something additional on the same circuit might blow the fuse or circuit breaker for that circuit. Or not. You add the maximum amps for each item you put on a single circuit and see if the total is under the amps of the fuse for that circuit.

My suggestion is finish the task at hand, note these kinds of things on your wish list. After you have inspected and mapped out your existing system, de-bugged it and it works even when being pulled around... Then start looking at your wish list and plan it out. You will want to run a different wire to your outlet so it's different from the one your fan is using.

You may have found the short you were looking for, or you may have just luckily found one of multiple situations like that.

Follow this through to the end fix any other issues you locate, if any.... and then take it for a ride and see if it works.

Empowering isn't it? ( Pun intended lol )
Old 10-06-2017, 11:31 AM   #57

Missouri
That large white wire has to be hooked to the trailer frame somewhere mine is in front! redo things and hook it back up and put your fuse back in. you will just blow the fuse if its wrong!

bob
Old 10-06-2017, 11:32 AM   #58

Missouri
I praise you for sticking with it! you will make it just don't give up!

bob
Old 10-06-2017, 11:39 AM   #59

California
Registry
Well shucks, my test ride was not the success I was hoping for.
Seems I have found one of possibly more spots where wire is exposed.

Good thing I bought a 20 pack of fuses, so I can take lots of test runs.

I will keep at it, little by little. I sure appreciate any and all advice and encouragement! Thank you!
Old 10-06-2017, 12:51 PM   #60

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
You may find several places where the 12V system gets caught between two hard points, and gets in contact with a ground. You may find that a PO may have taken something out and left the end of the wire exposed. Anytime you find a wire end that is not connected, tape it off, note the color, and make a note of it on your wire diagram. The more wires you look at the more likely you are to find it, and the better you will know your system.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp