Fuse Under front Bunk on Scamp and shorting out - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2017, 11:24 PM   #141

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Will you post a picture of your 4 pin connector on you truck? I would like to see what your working with at the truck end. Have patience this can be worked out.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:07 AM   #142

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Your pop

Lisa let your dad think about these things for a bit and then have him come oever again.

you dad is far smarter than you think I have sovlved many problems by thinking about them for a day or 2.

now I have a question about your hookup most are 7 pin maybe we don't need to think about that right now!

good luck

bob now to page 11 on comments
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:22 AM   #143

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
Lisa,
Since the black carries power from the TV to the Battery, it would not be hooked up on your setup. When you get the 7 pin, then it will be hooked up. In your system, you have black coming from the Battery, and that will be recharged at the shorepower. Make note of the color of the fan wire from the battery to the fan. Use a color that is consistent throughout that circuit, and only use that color for the fan. That way it will be easy to keep track of. While you are working on this, I would get rid of the switch that was part of the old system. Run a wire from the converter to the fan directly, and white wire back. The electric flow will be battery to converter (black), converter to fuse in converter (internal wire), fuse to fan (color), fan to ground (white) That will then run either off the battery or off shore power since the converter will route it correctly.
You can then take another color for the next thing that runs while you camp. When you work with the lights, that is when you will use the TV colors that are hooked up to the lights. That really should be a seperate system from the inside stuff like the fan.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:53 AM   #144

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Here is the 4 wire connection:

Name:   IMG_5060.JPG
Views: 45
Size:  18.2 KB

Then the area the shop cleaned up:

Name:   IMG_5062.JPG
Views: 45
Size:  21.6 KB

It used to look like this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4880.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	112501
Old 10-12-2017, 07:56 AM   #145

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
Lisa let your dad think about these things for a bit and then have him come oever again.

you dad is far smarter than you think I have sovlved many problems by thinking about them for a day or 2.
My dad is very smart, I hope I never indicated that he isn't, I would never want to put my dad down, I love him dearly. He's just not as familiar with electrical as he is with engines.
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:58 AM   #146

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricAllyn View Post
I would get rid of the switch that was part of the old system.
That switch is definitely going.
Thank you for the pointers, I feel like I am getting closer to having this fixed with your help and the help of others.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:07 AM   #147

Missouri
lisa lisa

I didn't say that to you at all I said give him a chance. my mechanic can fix anything I mean anything. Sometimes I have to leave my car for a few days but it will be fixed in the end that goes for my trailer wiring we have had a few rounds to what I want he didn't understand it at first!

you should see him go on wiring! Give him a few days he has encountered all this stuff in his life. maybe he doesn't understand converters I hope yours works by the way. do you hear it humming? do you feel it getting warm? Do you feel it vibrate it has a transformer in it!

At this point I would ask him to do a total rewire if you cannot figure it out. I know he can do that!

I would start with the main wiring to where it goes to the converter. look at your diagram where does it go first? Just think and do more thunkin! I know where every wire goes in my 13f Scamper and I know what each one does!

best regards

bob

a 13f Scamper is rediculous
Old 10-12-2017, 08:21 AM   #148

California
Registry
k0wtz, I must have misread, I'm sensitive about protecting my dad. He's 87 and he's doing pretty darn good. He does love my Scamp trailer too which has been fun to see. I never thought he'd like a small trailer as he is more of a motorhome guy.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:37 AM   #149

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Will you post a picture of your 4 pin connector on you truck? I would like to see what your working with at the truck end. Have patience this can be worked out.

This might be what you were requesting.

Name:	IMG_5071.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	112502
Old 10-12-2017, 08:49 AM   #150

Missouri
dang Lisa are you serious? 87 I cant believe it! Have him send me his clues for getting old. Is he still driving?

bob
Old 10-12-2017, 08:53 AM   #151

Missouri
still thunkin

Lisa I am still thinking. I think you need to talk to your dad about replacing your main voltage line my opinion your are shorted out there someplace.

or look at your drawing find that line and start there. I wish I was closer to help you!

Here is a thought look at that drawing start at the very first connection past the fuse unhook there put your fuse back in see if it shorts out if not move on down the line. You will find it this way!

make sense? I want you to think of this as water if you don't have water start looking?

bob
Old 10-12-2017, 08:56 AM   #152

California
Registry
Quote:
dang Lisa are you serious? 87 I cant believe it! Have him send me his clues for getting old. Is he still driving?

bob
Yep still driving, he has all licenses, CDL and hazmat, everything! I think he may have let the hazmat one go last year now that I think about it. But those other DMV tests he had to take are hard! I only have car and motorcycle.

I think he's quicker at getting in and out of the Scamp than I am! 87 is the new 57 to him.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:06 AM   #153

Missouri
once again

Lisa all I can say is dang and double dang I am so glad for him. I hope you listen to his stories I tried but a lot of stories my folks told me I forgot.

I can tell you this my dad got threw out of his house at 14 there were 12 others and hard scrabble life. his first job working on a barge on the Mo. river what a rough life he got his education early. Dad was born in 1908 a very long time ago!

He too could fix anything do great carpentry work. He once built a fantastic picnic table his own design took him 2 weeks to build with a hand saw. He could barely read later in life whatever he told me I accepted as free of charge advice.

I wish I could talk to him now and my great father-in-law who made it to 93!

Those old people knew their stuff

bob
Old 10-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #154

California
Registry
Quote:
Lisa all I can say is dang and double dang I am so glad for him. I hope you listen to his stories I tried but a lot of stories my folks told me I forgot.
My dad is one of 7 children, only 2 left. I cherish each day I have with my dad. I'm off work with a pending surgery so I have my dad over almost each weekday for breakfast. And he loves those BIG breakfasts like he had on the farm.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:07 AM   #155

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
I haven't ruled this out. I just bought a new 8 foot long 7 pin connector from Amazon, should be here in a couple of days. I never have like that modification and the fewer electrical mods the better in my opinion.
Just checking in and seeing lots of progress. Great work. Persistence pays off keep at it.

Now that you're gathering the tools, knowledge and experience you'll be assisting others before you know it

Start studying the standard trailer wiring diagrams for a 7 pin connection to get a feel for the standard colors.

Study the papers that come with your 8 foot cable with connector. Some are not manufactured to the standard color coding so you will have to pay close attention to how you mate your trailer wiring to the cable at the junction box.

You can outfit yourself with 100 ft spools of 14 guage in all seven colors for 45 bucks on prime or 35 bucks on eBay with free shipping. Here is the search phrase to use:

Trailer Light Cable Wiring For Harness 100ft spools 14 Gauge 7 Wire 7 colors
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:42 PM   #156

California
Registry
Thanks Buggeee. This arrived today so I am studying it.

Name:	IMG_5109.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	112524
Old 10-12-2017, 07:44 PM   #157

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
Here is the 4 wire connection:
Attachment 112499

Then the area the shop cleaned up:
Attachment 112500

It used to look like this:
Attachment 112501
This is the right picture I was looking for. It shows the rubber connector used onthe truck end.

Easy 7 pin conversion socket for your new 7pin cord. You mount this to the truck and plug in your truck 4 pin. Screw the white wire to a clean bare steel spot for the ground. The black line is for the truck battery when you get ready to set up a charge line. Blue wire is for the brake controller when you get ready for trailer breaks. Center pole is yellow usually for reverse wire if you hook it up. Go to the site watch the video and look at all the pictures. It will work for a 4 plug and allow you to use your new wire and junction box even if you dont hook up the battery charge line. The brake line or back up line. You do have to hook up the white ground line and plug into your 4 pin truck connection. Then you can make your old trailer wiring connections into your new junction box.

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Curt/C57674.html
Old 10-12-2017, 08:12 PM   #158

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Ordered! Thank you.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:02 PM   #159

California
When you set up your your 7 pin cord, back up your truck close to the trailer. Take the new cord and pretend it is plugged into the truck. Holding it there run the cord to the top of the trailer tongue right over where the ball would be and add a couple of inches. At that point put a wrap of masking tape on the cord. Now take the cord plug end and on the drivers side of the tongue behind the propane bottle close to the front fiberglass of the trailer run the cord over the top of the frame and under the propane bottle up to the fork of the trailer tongue. Make a clockwise circule as big as you can while staying inside the 2 frame sides.

Feed the wire up front until you get the plug over the ball hitch up to your tape mark. This gives you the wire needed to hook up to the truck with a extra safety loop of wire just in case you get a different car with a different location of the hitch plug. The extra length of wire. Is good if you ever need to replace the plug end. Now the extra wire over the frame behind the bottle, drape that over to the clamp for the wire going into the trailer. Pull a couple of extra inches and wrap a piece of masking tape around the cord. That tape mark is what is inside the trailer at the fiberglass wall.

Now you put the end of the cord through the clamp into the compartment inside up to your new tape mark. All the cord inside is what you have to locate your junction box and make the connection inside. Once your happy where you want it thread the cord into the junction box. And put the box where you want to mount it. When your satisfied where you want it put a wrap of masking tape so you can locate the box later.

Now go outside of your trailer and straighten out the loop you made in the trailer tongue and push the extra wire into the trailer. This allowes you to pull the wire and junction box out of the compartment to make the inital connections so you dont break your back trying to work down in a hole. Take extra cable beyound the the junction box tape. Strip the jacket , strip the very end of the wires and crimp on a ring terminal of proper size on each wire. Put them on the posts of the junction box in the same order as the colors of your wiring diagram for the Scamp.

To be continued. Sorry out of battery.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:20 AM   #160

Missouri
Lisa lisa

lisa I thought of your stuff all day yesterday we talked about your dad. Remember?

How about this? I know he has lots of contacts have him find you a good trailer wire up guy! I know he knows one get him over there and in 30ms your problem will be fixed. You need expert help so you can enjoy camping!!!

I feel for you but I know we are thouragly confusing you!

try this

good luck

bob

Tags
scamp