gen - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-04-2016, 07:08 PM   #15

Name: James Y.
Trailer: Companion
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
For those who wonder the 1000 watt generator does run our Scamp including the Air Conditioner. We do not have a microwave and need to be aware but it does work.
Norm. What size and model AC are you running with the Honda 1000 watt generator?

Old 09-04-2016, 07:54 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Some folks have had success with running an 11,000 BTU AC with a Honda 2000 but according to the powers that be if you do it often enough be its a good way to burn out the compressor on the AC. Its not the actual running of the AC thats the problem its the initial start up of the AC - it needs everything the 2000 can give and some to start up.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:34 AM   #17

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp
California
Registry
I installed some cargo tied down loops to the raised floor in Scamp 16 side dinette, under the sink and under the side dinette, just in case I wanted to secure heavy cargo in the trailer, like my generator. That location is very close to the axle and centered so should not affect the trailer balance much. I never actually carried it there, but did meet someone else who does carry their generator in the trailer attached like that. I have since traded Subaru for Nissan Forester TV so now have space and capacity to carry generator and other heavy stuff in the TV.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 09-06-2016, 06:54 AM   #18

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Thanks everyone for your replies. Very good advice. I will work something out. Carl
Old 09-06-2016, 08:42 AM   #19

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
They make a "slow start" capacitor for the A/C units that's suppose to help take care of that. I believe Floyd put one on his. I dont have one but with my 3500 Champion powering my 9200btu AC, it barely burps.

Personally, I dont want my Scamp smelling like a garage- no gasoline period inside. And I dont want "gasoline" INSIDE my vehicle when I'm traveling. My gen rides in the bed of my pu...where they should be. (unless you have them mounted elsewhere externally...like on the tongue of the trailer or underneath like on the big "pushers")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Some folks have had success with running an 11,000 BTU AC with a Honda 2000 but according to the powers that be if you do it often enough be its a good way to burn out the compressor on the AC. Its not the actual running of the AC thats the problem its the initial start up of the AC - it needs everything the 2000 can give and some to start up.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:35 AM   #20

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I dont have one but with my 3500 Champion powering my 9200btu AC, it barely burps.
I would expect any generator rated at 3000 or more to have no trouble kicking out enough power to start a 9200 BTU or a 11000 BTU for that matter.

Problem is the small 1000 and 2000 do not have the power the AC is needing for the start up. While some are able to take the generator off of ECO mode and get the AC powered up after a short burp they may as I said find as others have that in the long run they are not doing the long term health of the AC any favours in doing so.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:50 AM   #21

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
They cant labor starting up and be expected to last. On that we agree .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I would expect any generator rated at 3000 or more to have no trouble kicking out enough power for a 9200 BTU or a 11000 BTU for that matter.

Problem is the small 1000 and 2000 do not have the power the AC is needing for the start up. While some are able to take the generator off of ECO mode and get the AC powered up after a short burp they may as I said find as others have that in the long run they are not doing the long term health of the AC any favours in doing so.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:16 PM   #22

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
My mini - split is an inverter powered unit as are some rooftop units (but not many).
With this technology there is no starting surge and my Harbor Freight inverter generator never hiccups or strains.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 09-08-2016, 01:37 PM   #23

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1999 Casita 17' SD
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
For those who wonder the 1000 watt generator does run our Scamp including the Air Conditioner. We do not have a microwave and need to be aware but it does work.
What size AC do you have that a lowly thousand watt generator will power?
My 2000 watt Honda struggles when it's really hot outside and the AC comes on and my AC is only 7,150 BTU's
Old 09-08-2016, 02:14 PM   #24

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape
Colorado
Propane generator?

You could also think about converting your generator to run on propane. That way you don't need to worry about gasoline fumes.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:30 PM   #25

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
What size AC do you have that a lowly thousand watt generator will power?
My 2000 watt Honda struggles when it's really hot outside and the AC comes on and my AC is only 7,150 BTU's
A hard start kit might help with starting the A/C.
These include a larger starting capacitor and the relay and timer to control the thing.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:41 PM   #26

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1999 Casita 17' SD
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
A hard start kit might help with starting the A/C.
These include a larger starting capacitor and the relay and timer to control the thing.
I already have installed the official Dometic hard start kit. It was an option on my unit and it just had the relay and no cap. The kit had the relay/timer and cap as you described. But mine is a 1999 and since then they have become standard on most RV AC's.

Dometic has a "Smartstart Soft Starter" electronic box for the marine market but they deemed it too expensive ($425) for the RV market.
4220043 New Dometic Smartstart Soft Starter Cruisair Marine Air Conditioning | eBay

A 2000 surge watts generator is marginal at best.

But with temperatures in the mid 90's my Honda 2000i struggled starting the compressor and was running pretty much flat out, used a lot of gas and was noisy.
At 10 degrees cooler there's no problem.

I found a Boliy 3600SiE, 3000/3200 watts, cheap on Craig's list needing lots of TLC. Now that it's in decent shape it does the job much quieter and will be going along next year.
Boliy Generator

Take the best features from both the Honda 3000i and 3000si, and my Boily surpasses Honda in every category but one, support.....
It's lighter, quieter, has more wattage, electrically 20% more efficient saving gas and electric start too.
Just little to no support. I read on an Air Stream forum that many have had them for 6 years or longer with no problems at all.
It looks like a Yamaha and has German designed and made electronics.
Would I pay $1000 for a new one, I don't know but at $75 I jumped.

Joe
Old 03-27-2017, 10:17 AM   #27

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita
Texas
Saw an older Airstream yesterday being powered by a Ryobi 2200/1800 and walked by it and was very surprised at how quiet it was running. Probably was not being loaded so it may not be very quiet under load. But it was quieter than my Honda at low speed.

I also used to have an Airstream with a 11k a/c and it would run on one Honda 2000 if I turned the refrig to gas. Ran it this way for 5 years without a problem with the Dometic a/c but did put a hard start capacitor on it since it was a '98 model.